Author Topic: You want Stalinetz tractors? I has them!  (Read 10583 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
You want Stalinetz tractors? I has them!
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:27:57 AM »
I haven't built many models so far this year, mainly because I picked two models with either an insane number of parts or tiny detail parts (Micro-Mir 1/144 Yak-23...).

Last year, Jeff commented that my Morris-Martel two man tankette just needed a bulldozer blade, implying that it looked like a tractor. That got me thinking, and this year (in January!) I started on the Trumpeter 1/35 scale ChTZ S-65 tractor (with cab). It took until page 7 of the construction booklet before it even started to look like a vehicle.

Trumpeter - of course - can't make a kit without a glaring, obnoxious mistake. In this case, the Cyrillic on the radiator was completely wrong. I replaced it with an inexpensive resin version with the correct lettering from LZ Models, who made a wide number of resin conversion sets for this kit, including one to convert it to a Caterpillar 60 (the base model of the ChTZ S-65).

The tracks took forever to make. But I got them done. Here's the tractor as it stands now:

With the tracks, which took almost a month to finish:

It still needs to have the interior painted, glass attached to the cab and further weathering. Then I can attached the tracks and weather them some more.

I did mention tractors in the title...

Best Paper Models has/had a 1/35 scale paper model of the Stalinetz S-100 tractor, which is also known as the Stalinec S-100 in other Eastern European countries:

I decided to make a 3D version of the tractor, based in part on the paper model and on images of the real thing. Most S-100s seem to be used as bulldozers, with a dirt moving blade attachment. This would have meant having to build an engine as well, since it's visible through the hood... so I went with just the tractor version.  As a test, I just made the engine and cab sections.

This is what I got back from Shapeways (printed in Frosted Ultra Detail):

It hard to see, but the holes in the radiator came out correctly (and helped lower the cost of the part...). There's some minor warping in the cab door jamb, but that's easy to fix.
They did manage to screw up the doors. I got three doors back - one broken and two left hand doors. they probably broke the right hand door, then printed three versions of the left hand door, which has some unacceptable printing artifacts. I'm having them reprint them correctly. Annoyingly, some of the ultra fine details (like the rivets in the door handle) printed fine:

Some details, like the louvered vents on the hood, handle holes (I'll use fine wire) and the T latches came out beautifully:

Here it is with the partially built paper model. I'm not a very good paper modeler:

What to do about the rest of the tractor? I have a few options:
1 - sacrifice the almost finished S-65 and replace the cab and engine section with my 3D printed parts. The running gear and rest of the tractor are almost identical.
2 - buy a second kit and use it for parts. That would waste all the tracks. I'm not building those tracks again! I'll use the Takom Mk IV tank tracks, since they're almost identical and take minutes (vs months) to put together.
3 - use the paper model and Trumpeter kit to make the remaining parts from plastic sheet. I can make the wheels and other drive bits in 3D and have them printed, or use the similar parts from an old FT-17 tank and the Takom tracks.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:41:03 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: You want Stalinetz tractors? I has them!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
Nice to see that ShapeWays is still hiring ham-fisted monkeys to pack their finished products.  Usually in the smallest bag possible. 

It is certainly looking like a tractor/dozer. 

As far as your choices, that is a real conundrum, I like that printed cab and engine. 

Wonder why the engine cowlings are not present on the dozer versions?  As for what to do, I suppose the path of least resistance is to purchase a second kit plus the Takom Mk IV tank tracks to ease the stress of what is supposed to be a means of relaxation and a hobby. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
Engine side covers are usually the first victim of the realities of work with dozers etc., in the real world,
especially on the machines of that era.
Unlike the military, working men didn't have the time to faff about with things that just got in the way
of day-to-day operations and easy maintenance, so the side covers quickly got left off.
 ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
Wonder why the engine cowlings are not present on the dozer versions?  As for what to do, I suppose the path of least resistance is to purchase a second kit plus the Takom Mk IV tank tracks to ease the stress of what is supposed to be a means of relaxation and a hobby.

From the pictures I've seen, the curved sections of the engine cover sides are removed to make way for the dozer blade connection. The engines are painted with the same weather-resistant color as the rest of the tractor, so the factory must assume it's going to be used that way.

I have the Takom tracks and they fit the Trumpeter kit fairly well. The Shapeways parts were well packaged this time - they sent me the broken door and two copies of the same door. I checked and I uploaded the correct door sides, so they had an 1D10T error in their printing process.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:40:32 AM »
This is really something! very irregular and cool subject. And yes papermodels are tough-- but also very happy!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:47:47 AM »
Your paper modeling skills far exceed mine, Frank. At least by a factor of 11.

The bit about replacing the text on the radiator is a level of detail that's incredible to me! The result certainly looks every bit the business!

Will watch eagerly for more,
Brian da Basher

P.S. Not sure about all the angles, but option #1 seems best from a practical standpoint.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 04:19:49 AM »
Brian, I have zero skills with paper modeling; I find it very frustrating and reminds me of my earliest modeling days, where I used extra Testors tube glue on everything. For me, paper is fine if I want to add small details to an existing plastic or resin model, but a whole airplane or tank out of paper? Ain't happening.

I had to replace the radiator; it was annoying to look at the prominent misspelling.

I found another ChTZ S-65 kit online at a pretty good discount, so I'll finish the current model and use much of the new kit for the S-100. I also got a 1/35 resin T-55 diesel engine for a bargain. It fits under the hood, so maybe I can make the the bulldozer version... although it would have to be a WHIF; the T-55 engine has about 4-5x the power of the tractor engine.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:20:39 AM »
... although it would have to be a WHIF; the T-55 engine has about 4-5x the power of the tractor engine.

Boris the Builder, can you fix it?
Boris the Builder; Da, tovarich!

;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »
I reprinted the cab and the doors with new DLP printer at Shapways. The printing artifacts on the high resolution acrylic were hard to remove without cracking the brittle resin.
This is much better. The DLP resin feels more like styrene or model resin.

I added the two fuel tanks in the rear. The two cutouts at the bottom of the cab are present on the real tractor:

The artifacts look prominent in this picture due to the processing. They're not this bad in real life; there is some slight warping in the front and bottom of the cab, but this is easy to fix with a hair dryer:

The engine hood is from the original print, after a great deal of careful sanding and scraping to remove the printing artifacts and preserve the finer details. The tracks are the Takom Mark IV workable tracks and they fit perfectly (they're not fully connected here). This is my second build of the Trumpeter S-65 tractor.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Your paper modeling skills far exceed mine, Frank. At least by a factor of 11.

The bit about replacing the text on the radiator is a level of detail that's incredible to me! The result certainly looks every bit the business!

Will watch eagerly for more,
Brian da Basher

P.S. Not sure about all the angles, but option #1 seems best from a practical standpoint.

Absolutely agreed! Please give me the knitting needles! :-\
Frank3k, you are a master :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:20:17 AM »
That's a mighty fine update, Frank! Those fuel tanks really look great with that cab!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »
I feel like Frankenstein some days - bringing old threads back to life.

I've made some progress on this tractor. Here's the cockpit driver's compartment. It actually looks less rusty and banged up than some of the S-100 tractor images I've seen. The heater/samovar/tank with a duct coming in from the engine compartment is 3D printed in ABS. I was going to smooth it with acetone, but kept it as is - it gives it the appearance of decay/falling apart. There's a second duct that goes to the cab roof, but it's not connected. The bench seat, floor and most of the levers are from the Trumpeter kit:

That bench seat has seen better days:

The cabin is a bit cramped because I went by the paper model dimensions and not by the real model. It may be that way in real life, but the driver is very close to the levers. The instrument panel is 3D printed in ABS as well. The dials are from an Eduard's PE set and so are the switches:

The cables coming out of the panel are standard solid wire-wrap wire:

Here it is with the cab resting on the model:

The straps and strap holders on top of the fuel? tank are all made of paper, soaked in CA glue. I added tiny Meng bolts on both sides. The tank is supposed to be separate from the cab and more rounded. Oh well. The hooks on the rear sides of the cab are to hold the doors open.

Next is more weathering, and the tracks. Hopefully it won't take me another 2 years...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »
Great to see a thread revival such as this one.  Your WIP images are looking good and I do hope this project has a happy ending :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
Nice to see progress on this one and you have some serious talent with paint!

Your metallics capture the look and feel wonderfully. Few things are more pleasing to me than nailing that look and you totally hit a home run here in my book!

Will look forward to your next update!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 07:48:25 AM »
Unless I think of something else, I think this one is finished:

The headlights are from the original Stalinetz kit. I used a PE piece to make the brackets:

I didn't want to make it too rusty or dirty. Some of the Stalinetz online seem to be held together by paint, dirt and rust - yet they still run:

I forgot the flapper valve for the exhaust... but I'm sure there are tractors out there tractoring happily without one:

The dirt on the body and tracks are various pigments, held in place with pigment fixer. I didn't realize that you could mix some pigments with water or alcohol and make a paint-like slurry. I was just brushing or rubbing them on like dust or dirt. I lost one of the rear lights... but l have pictures of S-100s with 0, 1, 3, 4 or even 5 lights:

The printing arifacts are annoying, but not visible in person:

This tractor doesn't match any single Stalinetz S-100, but it's close to several models. Maybe it's a foreign built variant.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:52:05 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 07:52:24 AM »
Wow is that a fantastic model, Frank!

Your weathering is simply masterful!

I like what you said about the paint seeming to be the only thing holding them together. My dad had a '68 Plymouth like that.

A most excellent Stalinetz indeed and it will make the General Secretary proud!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »
Nicely done, Frank! :smiley: :smiley:

Cobbled together from bits of different variants to keep her running on the kolkhoz & painted yellow to hide the blending of pieces (& the worst of the rust). ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
Thanks guys. My vague backstory was that a country like Kyrgyzstan obtained the license to build tractors based on the Stalinetz S-100 (which was a design stolen copied from Caterpillar), for internal use as well as export (the foreign currency would help with their crippling lack of vowels). Maybe instead of Stalinetz it would be Kyrgyztractor or Slavtractor Company.

I clearly didn't weather my tractor enough:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Due to their crippling vowel (& "c") shortage, wouldn't that be Kyrgyztraktyr? ???
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:10:12 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:14 PM »
Thanks guys. My vague backstory was that a country like Kyrgyzstan obtained the license to build tractors based on the Stalinetz S-100 (which was a design stolen copied from Caterpillar), for internal use as well as export (the foreign currency would help with their crippling lack of vowels). Maybe instead of Stalinetz it would be Kyrgyztractor or Slavtractor Company.

Peoples Republic of Elbonia.

Offline Story

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 11:10:53 PM »
Just for you, Frank

I saw the guy touting his build on the interwebz like three days ago, then the meme just the day after that.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 12:08:21 AM »
I can see Miniart making the tractor once they're back.

Offline Story

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2022, 01:22:55 AM »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2022, 03:08:37 AM »
The latest product from the Kharkiv Tractor Plant!

Offline Story

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2022, 05:23:48 AM »
For the retro-inspiration from the above,
Stalinetz + cylindrical water cistern + twin M1910 Maxims = you're welcome!