Author Topic: Heaven Help Me! ... Cars!  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Heaven Help Me! ... Cars!
« on: January 11, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Yup, cars!

These 2 kits d@mn' near killed my modelling mojo but I survived!

They aren't "good", I think they're barely "passable", & I hope you don't mind me putting them here.

'Coz I promised kpnuts that I'd show them on the site, here they are:

1966 Ford Mustang (built for my 17 year old daughter);

New Mini (built for my 19 year old daughter);

Note that I couldn't get decent interior shots of the Mini because I over-did the tinting on the windows (but it looks cool).

Compare the pair;

They were given to my daughters as Christmas presents & were well-received, which was heartening. 8)

One thing I have learned ... I really can't get my head around building "stock" car models.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: Heaven Help Me! ... Cars!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:10:51 PM »
Those both look really darn good to me, nothing to be even slightly embarrassed about in my opinion.

I made a pink Cadillac Eldorado convertible for Lady LemonJello as a gift many, many moons ago - it was eventually a casualty of one of our many relocations while I was in uniform.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »
As one who used to build car models "once upon a time", they certainly look good to me.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:19 AM »
It's good to broaden your horizons.
They both look good to me!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:42 AM »
 They both look terrific. I can see where you might be disappointed, but I suspect that's a function of being able to see things
 four or five times normal magnification, no? ;) And having kids who appreciate your art enough to value them as gifts, man, you can't
 put price on that, nohow. Well done, colleague.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
Oh, no, the flaws are quite visible to the naked eye. ::)

However, as a builder who appreciates the philosophy of "near-enough is good-enough" I'm pretty happy with how my 1st car building efforts turned out.

I have a couple more cars to finish/build in the same scale (1/24) & I hope to do better with them but they'll probably be the last, in that scale, anyway.

I have some 1/32 scalers which will be whiffed into 1/35th & a post-apocalyptic scenario or 2.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:18:30 AM »
Yeah Baby !

Love the Mini

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:25:44 AM »
Thanks, Brian! :D