Author Topic: LF: 1/72 Spey cans for Phantom  (Read 4647 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
LF: 1/72 Spey cans for Phantom
« on: December 02, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Hi all,
I bought an old Hasegawa 1/72 F-4K/M but the tiny sprue with the two exhausts was missing. Any chance anyone has a spare pair from any 1/72 Brit Phantom?

Thanks in advance  8)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: LF: 1/72 Spey cans for Phantom
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:53:15 AM »
Of course, this also gives you an opportunity to re-engine them...maybe with something more modern?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:48 AM »
Except that I want to do this kit as the second in my series of RNZAF Phantoms based on the work done by Gekko and yourself! So Speys it must be.

It turns out Aires do a set but I'm just as happy with the nozzles themselves if anyone has a pair - or one - knocking about.
Zac in NZ

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:36:37 AM »
You're going to have a problem, Zac.  The old Hasegawa kit doesn't reflect the line changes for the Spey installation and the nozzles are undersized for a proper Spey (note that Revell did the same thing in 1/48 around the same time, some 40 years ago, with the same result).  Using aftermarket nozzles, intended for the Fujimi kit, will definitely show the difference and be a bother to fit properly.  I think I can find my copy of this kit and will make the nozzles available if someone wishes to make you cloned copies; I want to keep the nozzles because they can be used as the base for PW1120 nozzles, with 1/100 F-15 nozzle flaps, for various upgrades.

HTH,
Evan

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
Thanks Evan, I've seen a few reviews commenting how un-K/M-like the Hasegawa K/M is! One site suggested it was simply an F-4B with different decals (I'm certainly unaware of British Phantoms having Bullpups?)! I got it as it was cheap, so "near enough is good enough" is good by me.

I'll be using the kit as a modified airframe, so hopefully some sculpting and sanding can help me!
Zac in NZ

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »
Thanks Evan, I've seen a few reviews commenting how un-K/M-like the Hasegawa K/M is! One site suggested it was simply an F-4B with different decals (I'm certainly unaware of British Phantoms having Bullpups?)! I got it as it was cheap, so "near enough is good enough" is good by me.
I'd say it's more their very early F-4J molding with different nozzles, decals, and the extended nose gear strut.  Having said that, I intend to use mine more for parts for other builds (as I said, good raw material for making PW1120 nozzles to fit Phantom upgrades as well as using the extended nose gear for a production Jaguar M).  If all else fails you, I'm certain we can find someone here to clone copies of the nozzles from my kit for you (Note, the Revell 1/72 F-4K is done similarly as is, if memory serves me correctly, the Frog F-4K).

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
I can take a crack at casting some copies.  I have the materials on hand, just have to find some spare time to actually do the deed. Let me know if I can help.

Since it's 1/72, I'd even ship the molds to someone that could put them to use in the future.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:10 AM »
Thanks Evan, that may be the one. It certainly looks like a J/S with that lovely big radome. I think the Frog kit is possibly the Hasegawa one or vice versa, and the Frog was released by Revell. I have a memory they're the same mould.

Re the nozzles. I have a home resin casting starter set waiting for a project. Given location issues (I'm pretty far away from everyone here!) I'd be happy to pay for the new moulds and LemonJello's time/labour, then I can reuse them to my heart's content and offer my services to anyone who needs a set.

Yea? Nay?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:12:48 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 03:15:41 AM »
Works for me.  I'll dig the kit out this weekend and make sure I've got the cans before I go further.  Assuming I do, I'll send them off to LemonJello.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 03:53:26 AM »
That'll work on this end, too.  I'll run a couple test casts through the molds to make sure I'm not sending you a useless lump of RTV rubber, Zac. Then I'll send the molds and the castings to you and the originals back to Evan.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:24 AM »
Sounds great! Nice work all :)
Zac in NZ

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
Okay, verified I have the kit, still in shrink wrap, as well as the Revell equivalent. 

Zac, want both sets of nozzles sent for cloning?

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »
Both sets? If they're identical no, but if one has more detail then just that one I guess. I've never seen them so I can't say for sure!
Zac in NZ