Author Topic: 1/72 Dutch Fokker E-40 monoplane  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Dutch Fokker E-40 monoplane
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:39:55 AM »
Few can believe it today, but the end of the Great War was caused by bad maps. One August day in 1928, the Deutsche kaiserliche Armee Blaskapelle, German Imperial Army Marching Band accidentally marched into the little Netherlands border town of Schinveld. Not only did this violate Dutch neutrality, but it also violated Dutch ears as the Dutch have a deep distaste for oom-pah-pah music.

This incursion would cause shockwaves. The Dutch, an incredibly cunning people, waited. They knew revenge was a dish best served cold. While the Imperial German Army marching band continued parading over the border, the Dutch were not idle. They were busy preparing. They knew the optimum time to counter-attack was Oktoberfest, when most of the enemy would be away on leave celebrating.

Anthony Fokker had not been idle either. After the failure of the Fokker Fluffernutter, he had returned home to Holland.

Perhaps he felt slighted, unaware that using lunch as an inspiration might not be sound design methodology.

Still, he rose to the occasion in his homeland's hour of need. For you see, by 1928 the Koninklijke Luchtmacht or Royal Dutch Air Force, was equipped with the most advanced fighter in the skies: the Fokker E-40 monoplane.

The new fighter featured an uprated radial engine of enormous power and was armed with two 9 m.m. guns. The Fokker E-40's most important asset was it's incredibly streamlined, spatted landing gear which would become the envy of air arms worldwide.

In a coordinated effort with the Allies, the Dutch attack was the last straw for the Germans who were forced to sue for peace amid the onslaught.

With the long war now over, the Fokker E-40 soldiered on in peacetime and was finally withdrawn from service in 1936. The only surviving example is on display near the food court at the Koninklijke Luchtmacht museum in Merkelsbeek.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:09:03 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Dutch Fokker E-40 monoplane
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »
This all started with the wonderful 1/72 Roden Fokker E.V/D.VIII kit a friend sent me a few years back (thanks, Baz!). Roden's box art is really evocative, isn't it?

The back of the box is pretty good, too.

Of course, mine wasn't going to look anything like that by the time I was done.

This kit has a really sweet decal sheet, lozenge included!

Since I'd already used the engine & cowl from this kit for my Fokker Pfeil, another powerplant had to be found. Luckily, the extra resin bits from the famous Glencoe Curtiss Condor were rattling around the spares box. It seemed the prop & spinner from an Albatross might make a good fit.

I also added some spats I scratched with my patented sheet stock, half-wheel and putty method. They were attached with fuselage struts from a Fokker D.VII. The cherry on top for me was using a SPAD windscreen. I just love doing perverse things like that.

The build was trouble-free except for the fuselage lozenge which I ruined, probably due to impatience. I tried using replacement lozenge but that worked no better for me, so I went with light olive drab paint instead.

The model is brush-painted by hand in acrylics. I had a lot of fun with the splinter camo on the wing.

It took me five days to get this together and I hope you enjoyed it and reading a little more obscure history.

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
Great little model, great spats!

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
very nice

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:24:19 AM »
My…what big spats you have... :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.