Author Topic: Enhanced Texas Towers  (Read 2977 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Enhanced Texas Towers
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Not sure if this should be here or in "Land".  In any case, consider the Texas Tower radar stations used off the Atlantic coast of the US from the mid-50's to the early-60's.  Now, if ICBMs had not been developed, might these have continued, with upgrades as the drilling rig technology improved?  It further occurs to me that these would be prime targets for early take-out in an attack, so enhanced, or developed, one with self-defense capabilities, both anti-ship and anti-air, would seem logical.  So, to save procurement costs and development time, use existing tank turrets for the anti-ship role and add suitable AAA or SAM installations; you could, conceivably, also use turrets from de-commissioned big-gun destroyers or cruisers.  Mind you, you'd also likely need to take precautions to prevent a repeat of what happened to Texas Tower 4.

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Enhanced Texas Towers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
I've considered something like this, but to defend the rigs in a contested off shore oils field. Don't forget torpedo nets!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Enhanced Texas Towers
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:14:31 AM »
with George Bush Snr as president I can see that happening as he was into building oil-rigs.  Sounds like an interesting Alt scenario idea ;)

Maybe add some ultra-high-tech design clues from the various sea-going habitats that have been built or designed ? see below ....