Author Topic: T-34 XL build  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Diavel

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
T-34 XL build
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
This model started of as the remains of a 1/72nd scale matchbox T-34 that I had since I was a kid. Not a great deal of the original tank remained, just the hull and a couple of the wheels, so I attacked it with the razor saw  >:D
I cut the hull down the centre into half, then added a strip of styrene making it 20 mm wider

I then filled the gaps with miliput and putty, and sourced a T-54 turret that was spare and made it a new long gun barrel which I machined from aluminium with my electric drill.

I found some tracks and wheels in the spares box, I think they were from a self propelled  Howitzer and stuck them on. I then stuck the turret on and modified the mantlet to fit the new barrel.

I then raided the bits boxes for some photo etch grills a gun and some other bits and bobs to stick on it. I also made a load of ERA bricks to stick on it, and some racks and straps for fuel tanks.Then I daubed it in olive green.

Sorry about the pics as I did this build a few years ago and the camera I had then was crap on a good day
Cheers
Chris.
Just call me the thread killer.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
Re: T-34 XL build
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:45:12 AM »
Chris.
Welcome to the site. A very nice version of the Soviet workhorse. You are brave working in that scale. ;)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
Wow!!  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »
I like it!  That really puts me in mind of the Polish version of the T-72, the Twardy I think it's called.