Author Topic: Wacom, stylus, & touch tablets  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Wacom, stylus, & touch tablets
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:04:45 AM »
So, I've been thinking about getting a Wacom or touch tablet of some sort recently, but I'm totally new to the field and I know it's really changing right now.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Should I get a Wacom or try to go with something that has an integrated screen?  Do any of the new tablets double pretty well as touch peripherals? 

Thanks,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Wacom, stylus, & touch tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:45 PM »
Wish I could help advise but unfortunately I can't.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
Wacom makes an integrated screen model (cintiq) as well as the older types.

I use their Intuos design. I find no problem using one with the monitor separate for art, so getting the new cintiq with its own screen is not a big priority. The use of one as a touch peripheral is pretty limited right now. I have used mine as a mouse on occasion and its a bit slow when doing that.

Bamboo is smallest model if you want to try something really basic.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
I've got an Intous that I wish I got to use more often, but I do like quite a bit. I really, really want the Cintiq http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-displays/cintiq/cintiq-24hd-touch because for me working directly on the screen would be a big plus.

MOD EDIT: Link fixed!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:32:19 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:01:59 AM »
I have an Intuous 3 I got back in 2008 and I still love it.  They offer them in normal and widescreen models at least they did, not sure if they still do or not since you can't seem to find a non widescreen monitor anymore.  The widescreen tablet allowed you to use it with either type of monitor, it just blanked off a section for for a normal monitor.  It comes with a pen and a mouse but frankly I've never used the mouse, never saw the reason.  A friend told me it was more accurate than a normal laser mouse though.  The Cintiqs seem neat but what I saw back I was researching them in 2008 was that their resolution wasn't as great a real monitor and with the massive price tag chasm between them the choice was an easy one  ;D  They are good if you just want to hold it in your lap and sit back and draw but if you're like me and like to use the keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop then you'll want an Intuos instead.  Plus the Cintiqs aren't all that big, no where near normal monitor sizes.  Granted this was back in 2008 or so so take what I say with a grain of salt.

BTW Doom your link doesn't work, try again please   ;)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
Monoprice has a line of "store brand" tablets that are pretty good: Monoprice tablets

The pen is pressure sensitive, but it doesn't have the eraser. A good trade-off considering the price. I got the larger 12" x 9" tablet for my wife and the only issue is finding a flat enough area on her desk (if she moves the piles of yarn and the cat to one side, she has room).

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
Hmm, intriguing.  How long has she been using it now, Frank?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
Hmm, intriguing.  How long has she been using it now, Frank?

She's used it occasionally since the beginning of the year, on her iMac. I've used it on my Windows 7 computer and it works quite well. We're both on vacation next week and she wants to spend a few days drawing some of her cartoons. The stylus is somewhat delicate, but not unusable. For the price, it's a steal.

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »
Monoprice has a line of "store brand" tablets that are pretty good: Monoprice tablets

The pen is pressure sensitive, but it doesn't have the eraser. A good trade-off considering the price. I got the larger 12" x 9" tablet for my wife and the only issue is finding a flat enough area on her desk (if she moves the piles of yarn and the cat to one side, she has room).

Eraser is no biggie. I never use that end of the stylus. More typically, the erasure is applied like any other brush with the regular tip end of the stylus.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
Just noticed this.  My daughter has a Wacom which she uses for drawing - primarily anime.   She loves it and finds it a hell of a lot easier to get what she wants on the computer screen than using a mouse or even a touch pad.  She's had it now for about 18 months and wouldn't go back for all the tea in China...