Author Topic: Uninhabited and Unafraid, (UCAV, UAV, and Drone Aircraft)  (Read 88499 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Uninhabited and Unafraid, (UCAV, UAV, and Drone Aircraft)
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »
Does the point about aerial refuelling mean it has both a probe and a receptacle?
It could be both.  You could easily fit a F-35A up for both if you were willing to pay the extra cost and the weight penalty; it's got that bay set aside, as part of a common systems configuration, so you need the extra plumbing & the doors (both of which could come from the -B or -C models, except for the tie-in with the receptacle plumbing) and appropriate software additions.  Doing it clean-sheet from the beginning would allow you to do it cleanly and neatly.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2014, 03:06:53 AM »
Does the point about aerial refuelling mean it has both a probe and a receptacle?

Previous plans called for the X-47B naval unmanned combat air system demonstrator (UCAS-D) to conduct autonomous Navy-style probe-and-drogue and Air Force-style boom-and-receptacle refueling tests in 2014 but unfortunately they were a casualty of budget cuts.  I am not sure if it is still fitted for boom refuelling but it is for probe:

Just had a naughty thought.  Who's going to do one up in Blue Angels livery?  ;)

I like your thinking.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2014, 03:12:25 AM »
Following on from above:

Now to get me some 1/48 Blue Angels decals...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2014, 04:40:42 AM »
Cool scheme by Val Bueno:

Click on image to see more.

Offline Flyer

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2014, 05:06:25 AM »
  Small, fleeting targets are damn hard to hit.   >:D

Indeed! And even when they are hit by small arms, the damn things keep on flying!

I personally think a UAV/UCAV/Drone would have great survivability and damage absorbsion. Below is a picture of one of my R/C models after a mid-air, I got it back to the strip with only a broken prop on touchdown the only additional damage. If I, a outside human pilot can do that surely a gyro stabilized computer would have no problem...

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
it would seem that, since September 2013 at least, we have been calling these particular craft of the air by the wrong name.

In a program about such craft, a BBC-4 presenter referred to them as "Un-person Planes".  A complaint to the station resulted in the complainer being spoken to in a condescending tone by the BBC staff member, who then hung up the telephone ...... so it would seem that the BBC, being the last word on the English language, have set us right ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »
Just had a naughty thought.  Who's going to do one up in Blue Angels livery?  ;)

Due to budgetary restrictions the USAF and USN combine their aerial demonstration teams and create a joint command combined unit.  This new unit will need a new and catchy name based on original demonstration team names of Blue Angels and Thunder Birds.  Some possible names for this new unit could be Thunder Angels, Blue Thunder, or maybe the Blue Birds. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
it would seem that, since September 2013 at least, we have been calling these particular craft of the air by the wrong name.

In a program about such craft, a BBC-4 presenter referred to them as "Un-person Planes".  A complaint to the station resulted in the complainer being spoken to in a condescending tone by the BBC staff member, who then hung up the telephone ...... so it would seem that the BBC, being the last word on the English language, have set us right ;D

You're kidding me...we already have the term Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles which is gender neutral...why go further?

Mind you, what does whatever call a airliner/personnel transporter without a human pilot?  It is after all inhabited...

Offline Flyer

« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »

You're kidding me...we already have the term Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles which is gender neutral...why go further?

Mind you, what does whatever call a airliner/personnel transporter without a human pilot?  It is after all inhabited...

simply a UAV. Uncrewed Aerial Vehicle ???

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

Due to budgetary restrictions the USAF and USN combine their aerial demonstration teams and create a joint command combined unit.  This new unit will need a new and catchy name based on original demonstration team names of Blue Angels and Thunder Birds.  Some possible names for this new unit could be Thunder Angels, Blue Thunder, or maybe the Blue Birds.

Knowing the bureacracy, it will become the Blue Birds, which to my ear sounds like some sort of 1980s British TV dance troupe which appeared on "The Two Ronnies" and other such programs.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »

simply a UAV. Uncrewed Aerial Vehicle ???

Ah, but what if you still have Fight Stewards?  Wouldn't they constitute "crew"?

Offline Flyer

« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2014, 09:28:04 PM »
not if they are robotic like the rest of the aircraft ;)

Offline Flyer

« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »
or re-classify Fight Stewards as staff not crew

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »
The way thing are going the "passengers" have already largely been classified as cattle... so no inhabitants there. :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2014, 05:18:19 AM »
The way thing are going the "passengers" have already largely been classified as cattle... so no inhabitants there. :)
Well, they certainly treat "passengers" that way and it starts with the TSA checkout (if I said what I really feel regarding TSA, this would get banned quickly).

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2014, 07:50:15 AM »
I knew the manners of the general population was seriously on the decline but "Fight Stewards"? ???

Must be getting really bad on some airlines, then. :icon_twisted: :icon_punal: C:-) :icon_swat:

It's also about time we "un-PC'ed" the English language. I know a lot of persons & wopersons who'd agree. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Flyer

« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
I knew the manners of the general population was seriously on the decline but "Fight Stewards"? ???

LOL, didn't catch that one, then typed it myself. ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

And the problem being?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »

Must be getting really bad on some airlines, then. :icon_twisted: :icon_punal: C:-) :icon_swat:

It's also about time we "un-PC'ed" the English language. I know a lot of persons & wopersons who'd agree. ;)

Only for the AFL, NRL end of season trips!  As my uncle pointed out to me following an incident on a flight years ago, involving the Essendon football club players drunkenly damaging the cabin as well as intimidating and harassing other passengers and crew "they should let them fly for free as what terrorist would ever be game enough to hijack a flight that may have drunken football players on board"?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2014, 05:58:56 AM »
How drones deploy:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2014, 06:45:52 AM »
Damn!  The drone shipping container has so much potential for a party boat pontoon :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2014, 07:53:02 AM »
General Atomics EasyKit. Comes pre-painted. Some assembly required. No glue needed. Modelling skills helpful if under 14 years of age. RC transmitter unit sold separately. Requires 4 AA batteries (not included). 

:P
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2014, 03:36:18 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2015, 03:41:49 AM »
Air Force Commences Unmanned Aerial System Training United States
(Source: Australian Department of Defence; issued Feb 23, 2015)

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence, Darren Chester, today announced that the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) has commenced training aircrew and support staff on United States Air Force (USAF) MQ-9 Reaper Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) operations in the United States.

Mr Chester said that the training program provides a cost effective method to increase the ADF’s understanding of complex UAS operations and how this capability can be best used to protect Australian troops on future operations.

“Unmanned aerial systems are an advancing technology with a proven record of providing ‘eyes in the sky’ in the Middle East region,” Mr Chester said.

“It would be remiss of Australia not to continue to develop our knowledge of this technology to ensure we are able to gain the greatest benefit from unmanned aerial systems and the best protection for our troops on future operations.”

“For this reason, the RAAF is training personnel in USAF MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial system operations in the United States.”

Air Force currently has five personnel training to be MQ-9 air vehicle operators and payload operators at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico, and a communication systems engineer at Creech Air Force Base, Nevada.

-ends-

Hmmm...I wonder if a RAAF Reaper acquisition may be on the cards in the future...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2015, 04:46:54 AM »
I tell's ya...these recon pods are getting out of control ;):

MQ-9 with Gorgon Stare persistent wide-area airborne surveillance system