Author Topic: 7th Generation Combat Aircraft  (Read 6327 times)

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
7th Generation Combat Aircraft
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
As we enter the era of the 5th Gen combat aircraft, I`m looking to start researching my next whif project which would be a concept fighter/bomber which would fall under the 7th Gen catagory. It seems that some experts think the 6th Gen will be based on the UAV approach, but I feel that for the 7th gen, putting a pilot back in the seat will be the way to go.

A few ideas I`ve had so far are,

1. Aircraft capable of space flight
2. Alternative power scource (something a bit more realistic though than `warp` drive)
3. Going backwards (What I mean by this is that the aerospace industry de-evolves going back to props or less technical designs as the ECM avionics can now supply a safe enviroment for the aircraft to operate in)
4. Ultimate VTOL design (A VTOL aircraft that surpasses previous designs)

Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this one.  :)

Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 7th Generation Combat Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
Well, given a 7th Gen Combat aircraft is probably late this century it is certainly difficult to be accurate regarding what it may or may not entail.  That aside, my predictions based upon current state of the art and developments are as follow:

• First up, I think you will see the roles of bomber and fighter fully merge.  You will instead have a single combat platform;
  • Personally, i believe that fully autonomous UCAS will be very prevalent.  That aside though, if you want to consider inhabited platforms, I suppose they could both exist
  • Maybe you will something akin to a cross between the lenticular bomber and star trek enterprise.  This would be permanently in orbit/high altitude and will by default be hypersonic.  It may carry some deployable UCAS/URAS/micro-satellites though it's main weapon will be directed energy weapons of some sort.  It will also have outstanding sensor and data fusion capabilities though these will not necessarily be all inboard.  Such a platform will be akin to an omnipresent B-2 ( in both price and quantity) that can strike anywhere in a matter of tens of minutes.
  • Finally, I think you will find the 7th Gen combat platform being used more like Destroyers are today
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:13:20 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
I think I can cover the VTOL bit ---   

You can see more of it in my McDonnell Douglas AV-19A thread
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:31:08 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:32 AM »
Something so ludricrously expensive, the USAF/USN can only afford one, and are too afraid to deploy it in case it gets destroyed. :o
Every country/alliance tries to make one as well, bankrupting several smaller countries and tying up developments for decades. :-X
It would be stealthy, hypersonic, STOVL, and semi-submersible. :P
You can control it with your mind, but only if you think in Russian. :icon_crap:

Support contracts are handled by the Mafia. ???

And something that causes never ending squabbles online as to how bad/perfect it really is.  >:(
Alvis 3.1

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:23:28 AM »
It will be powered by a high performance-low residue fuel called "Sewell Fuel" that is produced by AeroTech Industries.  They will be maintained by service droids with humanoid proportions and features built by Silicatetronics
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:08 AM »
The 7th Generation will be after the third world war and will be made of wood and fabric, with hand-cranked engines salvaged from lawnmowers and similar machines, running on ethanol...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
It will be powered by a high performance-low residue fuel called "Sewell Fuel" that is produced by AeroTech Industries.  They will be maintained by service droids with humanoid proportions and features built by Silicatetronics.

Pfft, everyone knows "Sewell Fuel" is just retro-engineered from a sample stolen from the "Chigs". Chigs make much better aerospace vehicles, and can do the Cobra manuever at the edge of an accretion disk before you can eat your pancakes!

Alvis 3.1

Evil Flower

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »
7th gen will probably be stripped-down piston-engine fighters piloted by mohawked leather pirates.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:42:20 AM »
It will be powered by a high performance-low residue fuel called "Sewell Fuel" that is produced by AeroTech Industries.  They will be maintained by service droids with humanoid proportions and features built by Silicatetronics.

Pfft, everyone knows "Sewell Fuel" is just retro-engineered from a sample stolen from the "Chigs". Chigs make much better aerospace vehicles, and can do the Cobra manuever at the edge of an accretion disk before you can eat your pancakes!

Alvis 3.1

As a huge fan of this show.... Thank you both!  ;D MAde my day.
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
A few ideas I`ve had so far are,

1. Aircraft capable of space flight
2. Alternative power scource (something a bit more realistic though than `warp` drive)
3. Going backwards (What I mean by this is that the aerospace industry de-evolves going back to props or less technical designs as the ECM avionics can now supply a safe enviroment for the aircraft to operate in)
4. Ultimate VTOL design (A VTOL aircraft that surpasses previous designs)

5. Completely unaffordable for any sovereign nation.

I think this is a prerequisite for being a 7th Generation combat aircraft.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:46 PM »
No, everyone is wrong:   All manned aircraft will be Super Hornets in the West capable of destroying the satellites responsible  for drone control.  ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
Personally I was thinking of a dug up, re-engined, zero timed, bleeding edge avionics upgrade, F-111C called the F-111STM as per the clown clubs ravings.  Sort of an aircraft version of the "Space Battleship Yamato"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
If we continue to follow the trends predicted in Mary Kaldor's book The Baroque Arsenal, there will be exactly one Seventh Generation combat aircraft.