Author Topic: Halftracks  (Read 12257 times)

Re: Halftrack snowplow
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »
I recognize the front wheels as a heavy duty (maybe GM?) wheel I've seen on a lot of Chevy/GMC trucks. I'm guessing they used GM parts like the engine, transmission, axles/differentials, etc. to rebuild this halftrack but I wonder what they did to the frame.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Halftrack snowplow
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
a few more ....

top two are Iranian conversions

bottom one is Mad-Max cool :o

Online dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Halftracks
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »
Finally found pictures of the long-rumoured Iranian halftrack design here.

I don't know.  It seems to me that Iranian engineers took some inspirations from Chinese armoured car designs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:44:28 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Halftracks
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 02:50:06 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 04:02:01 AM »
That's awesome. I love halftracks. It reminds me a bit of the Chilean Cardoen BMS-1 Alacrán.

As impractical as the concept might be, I love the idea of a modern halftrack. I saw this recently, too.

Proposed variants of the Land Rover Centaur halftrack, including some armored ones.

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/en/centaur-half-track

Thanks,

Logan

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »
Cool! I see what looks to be a Mowag front end kinda-sorta on that Chilean halftrack!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 07:50:30 AM »
I'l add my favourite ..... V.W. Typ-155 ...... I have over a dozen photos of these prototypes supplied to me by Porsche when I wrote the history for them.

In one biography for Ferry Porsche the author claimed that a Schwimmwagen was also used in the Typ-155 trials - hinting that it was also a half-track.
Unfortunately he got it wrong - the Schwimm had drum extensions on the wheels not tracks ....... or did it ??  ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:08:55 PM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »
cut a half-track down to a full-track ?
APC based on a SdKfz-251 & SP gun on a Famo SdKfz-9 :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 02:37:44 AM »
I'l add my favourite ..... V.W. Typ-155 ...... I have over a dozen photos of these prototypes supplied to me by Porsche when I wrote the history for them.

In one biography for Ferry Porsche the author claimed that a Schwimmwagen was also used in the Typ-155 trials - hinting that it was also a half-track.
Unfortunately he got it wrong - the Schwimm had drum extensions on the wheels not tracks ....... or did it ??  ;)

One can get a number of kits/conversions for these:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 03:37:41 AM »
I have the Leadwarrior conversion .... BEAUTIFUL !  Very finely cast resin that used my research :)

The Kora 1/35th version is a bit rough & has PE tracks.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 05:06:20 AM »
The 'half a 251' is reminiscent of the RA Dragons from the '20s-'30s.  ;)

"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 06:58:04 AM »
Steyr half-track below seems to be a private conversion - note the skis front & rear .... and the massive spuds on the track links !!

Opel Kapitan with crawler-tracks (NSU Kettenrad parts), 1942. This car was part of a project by the WaffenAMT to improve traction of light vehicles in sand & snow - it seems that during the war, Stock Motorpflug AG Berlin were building NSU Kettenrads for the army & took part in the project.  Stock made motorcycles in Berlin until 1932 & are still in business in Heidelberg, Germany.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »

One can get a number of kits/conversions for these:

You could, in theory, make any of these half tracks

http://www.americantracktruck.com/index.php?page=videos-pictures
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:39:30 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 07:15:00 AM »
US Amphibious projects.

July 1942 'Pelican' project, 50' long, 400hp engine, water speed:8 mph, 20,000lbs (empty), 40,000lbs (loaded),
cargo space large enough to carry 6X6 truck. No full size built, but several scale models for tank tests.

May 1944 15 ton project, design and engineering by Sparkman & Stephens, Inc. 37,000 lbs (empty),
30,000lb payload. Continental R975 with Torqmatic transmission. Original design had five road-wheels
per side, later increased to six. 21" wide tracks as developed for T87 105mm howitzer motor carriage.
Front wheels were driven. Twp 28" diameter propellers for water propulsion. 30mph (land), 8mph (water).
Was to be designated T32.

Later revised arrangement with six roadwheels and rear hull profile modified to allow the vehicle to enter
an LST from the water.

- from Hunnicutt, Half-Track.
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »