Author Topic: HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle)  (Read 7070 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle)
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
In my experience, the number of seats in a US Army vehicle is no indication of how many people it can carry. There are even some long standing jokes about it.
Q: How many troops can you fit in the back of a humvee/deuce/5 ton/ cattle car/ etc?
A: Two more!
I've seen ungodly masses of humanity stuffed in a truck, you would think it's some kind of prank.

Well, that's reassuring. I thought it was only the Corps that did this.

I started out as an 0311 (Rifleman) and we would pack those 5-tons to the bursting point (moreso when we were headed back to garrison from the field than headed out on an FEX).  Later, I lat-moved to Data Comm and learned that there was a supposed "max pax" of 20 in the back of those same 5-tons.  I had never heard of such lunacy! All that wasted space!

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
"Nuts to butts, make your buddy smile!"
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
In my experience, the number of seats in a US Army vehicle is no indication of how many people it can carry. There are even some long standing jokes about it.
Q: How many troops can you fit in the back of a humvee/deuce/5 ton/ cattle car/ etc?
A: Two more!
I've seen ungodly masses of humanity stuffed in a truck, you would think it's some kind of prank.

Well, that's reassuring. I thought it was only the Corps that did this.

I started out as an 0311 (Rifleman) and we would pack those 5-tons to the bursting point (moreso when we were headed back to garrison from the field than headed out on an FEX).  Later, I lat-moved to Data Comm and learned that there was a supposed "max pax" of 20 in the back of those same 5-tons.  I had never heard of such lunacy! All that wasted space!

Only to exceed downunder in an emergency.  The Occ. Health and Safety Officer would be on you ASAP if you found to be routinely exceeding the maximum passenger limit (and yes, such a creature does exist in each unit, he's usually the Adjutant who gets given all sorts of odd jobs no one else desires).  I've seen several Sergeants reamed for doing that.   How did 19 diggers get into a Landrover?  No one was looking...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 02:40:38 AM »
Anyone know what rockets are being used here:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 03:56:04 AM »
It's an IRAM (improvised rocket assisted munition or mortar) http://www.conflict-news.com/articles/why-tactically-useless-irams-are-so-popular-in-iraq-and-syria

Here's a video:
! No longer available

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 04:11:19 AM »
Thank you
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:16 AM »
The rockets are manufactured from LPG Gas Cylinders, with a hollow tail welded onto their rear, through which the exhaust works.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
M1151 HMMWV OPFOR (Opposing Force) Surrogate Vehicle (BRDM2)

http://www.warwheels.net/HummerM1151ecvOPFORusa.html
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.