Author Topic: vietnam dio - "saving comrades"  (Read 4968 times)

pastafarian

vietnam dio - "saving comrades"
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
Hey folks,

This diorama idea came from several books on the Vietnam War that I've read over the last year or so.  Most of the books were from the American side of things with several going into the Bright Light missions of rescuing downed pilots.  So, the ground level of the piece is going to depict several LRRP's picking up a downed helicopter pilot.

The underground aspect came from Dang Thuy Tram's diary Last Night I Dreamed of Peace.  She was a doctor for the VC that was ultimately killed
and her diary recovered by a US soldier.  From a historical viewpoint, the diary is pretty interesting.  Tram wrote about her feelings on the war, relationships that she had, and some medical circumstances (brief descriptions of her facilities and a few mentions of treatments).          From a narrative viewpoint: although she was 27, her diary was like something I would expect from a teenage girl.  My gosh she droned on and on and on about some guy that she had a crush on.  bahhhhhhhhhh.    LOL

Anyway, here's where I am so far.  The 4x4 section is from some leftover lumber that I had out in the shed.  Thought it was appropriate given the Vietnamese reputation for savaging absolutely anything.  :)

main hole is going to be the clinic and the smaller hole in the side is just a tunnel opening

doc and patient  -I'll probably redo his hands or stick something in them.    her arms are positioned to tie off his bandages.
the squatting guy is another soldier checking on his pal.

above ground:

Most likely I'm going to take away the machete and move his arm to help the pilot up out of the brush. 

Open to input and suggestions.  :)

John

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: vietnam dio - "saving comrades"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
I have no experience in scale soldiers, but I do appreciate your respecting the side that our Historians pretend the bad one, including young people having good reasons and human feelings. Thanks.

pastafarian

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
Not at all Tophe.  Thanks.  :)

Made a bit of progress.

I used joint compound to smooth out the hospital walls and provide landscaping on top.  Paint are tamiya acrylics with a blend of brown and a smidge of red in an attempt to get close to the red dirt of Vietnam.

--approximate positioning of LRRPs and helo pilot up top.  I'm going to throw up a bunch of vegetation around the guys (it would be sort of stupid for my pilot to just sit out in the open like that haha).

--these two facing out are supposed to be keeping the trail covered.   Carpet monster ate one guy's hat, so I've had to replace it and haven't painted it yet.

I kinda like having the hospital cavern run all the way through so that the viewer can spin the piece to see both ends of the room.  I haven't decided yet, but I was thinking about placing a dim LED in the ceiling of the room, or maybe sticking it in a lantern.  Without the flash of the camera, it is pretty dark in there.  What do you folks think?

John

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
Your diorama is coming along well, pastafarian! I like the idea of atting an LED in a lantern in the tunnel. I think it would brighten things up and a lantern would seem more accurate than sticking an LED on the ceiling.

Watching with great interest,
Brian da Basher

pastafarian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
Thanks Brian.  Either way would be ok on the light.  The VC were like a thousand MacGyvers running around.  LOL  They'd sometimes rig up a bicycle and generator to provide electricity for lights down in the tunnels. 

John

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »
I like the bicycle pedal generator idea (less heat, no smoke emerging from the tunnel). Then your LED can just be a bare bulb swinging from the wiring  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »
That bike/generator idea would really be a great addition!

Brian da Basher

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
 Great concept-I expect the execution will be equally impressive. Thanks for the tip on the wartime
 diary as well-it sound like a worthwhile read.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Great looking "green men"  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher