Author Topic: First whiffy in plastic with kitbash - AltCan RCAF CEF-108A  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
So I've finally started my first physical whiffy-build that involves serious kitbashing - from AltCan RCAF, a CEF-108A!

Based on the CF-108A (Archer Mk. I), it will have the Arrow-style canopy:

But it will have the extra bumps and such that are on the EW conversion, the CEF-108:

The profile here shows a CEF-108, which in the "actual" AltWorld was rebuilt from a CF-108C - note the different canopy and different intakes from the CF-108A above.

Since the Arrow-style canopy is to my eye a bit niftier, I'm going to build the plastic version using that. I briefly contemplated doing it in the original PRU Blue over PRU Mauve scheme, but I've since decided to do it in pink, because the idea of military aircraft painted pink just tickles me somehow. :D The only thing I need to decide yet is whether to do it with the hi-viz roundels/lettering as in the profile above, or the loviz markings. I'm leaning towards the hi-viz scheme, because that way I can use existing decals for the letters, numbers, fin flash and stencils, and need only the roundels, intake warning and the unit badge done up as custom decals (...just need to find a source!)

So anyways, on to the build...

I'm using the old Hasegawa/Minicraft Kfir C-2 kit as the basis, as it has the right nose and the right general fuselage shape to it; other parts will come from other sources as needed, e.g. the canopy from a Hobbycraft Arrow.

I started with the easiest part - the wings. The Kfir's wings were moulded such that the upper surface wraps over to the underside, so the seam is relatively hidden on the underside. This made the cutting easy, as I just cut the outboard sections of the wings off where the place for the underside parts would go. And I got stupidly lucky here, too... I got a 1/200 XB-70 Valkyrie kit without knowing the parts breakdown, in the hopes I'd be able to use the wings, and indeed I can - the grey in the photo is from the XB-70 kit, which provides three sets of wingtips for different configurations, and these parts happened to line up just about perfectly at the spot on the Kfir wing I'd eyed out as the cutting location such that a small 'tooth' is formed at the leading edge. The goal here is to get wings that are similar - but not identical - to those of the Avro Arrow. This'll need a good bit of filler work at the seam, but since the ridged section present at the dogtooth on the Arrow wing falls into the corresponding area on the Archer wing, this shouldn't be too difficult.

I hope you all don't mind my going into such extensive discussion about this, but I'll admit my ulterior motive: I'm hoping to draw suggestions out from you here and there as to ways to do things. :P

And now, I'm off to get back to work on this whilst watching some Star Trek! :)
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Re: First whiffy in plastic with kitbash - AltCan RCAF CEF-108A
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »
Litvyak, that looks like a sweet build indeed, be keeping an eye on this one  :)
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Texgunner

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »
Litvyak, it seems you're off to a great start!  It sounds like a good plan to me; please do keep us posted on your progress.  Maybe I can pick up (steal, lol) some ideas and techniques for a project of mine.  Good luck to ya!
Gary

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »
Watching intently.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:21:37 AM »
intriging !   :icon_ninja:

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:29:20 AM »
Bash Away!! The best way to get good is to dive right in. You will get stuck a few times but its all about learning to overcome and conquer.  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:22:45 AM »
So I've got some further work done on the wings:

This is the underside of the wings - nothing much to see here, just a bit of gap filling...

This is the top side. I used a strip of .010" styrene over the joint, onto which I put a piece of .040" half-round rod to form the ridges running back from the dogtooth. There's still more to do here, but I think it's starting to get the appearance I envisioned.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »
Fin flash did you say?  ;)

This version is 1/16th the original (25%W x 25%H).

Would that be of any use to you?

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:52 AM »
Thanks for the offer, Fox - though I do have all the artwork drawn up - I'll just probably need to convert them to vector, and then find someone who can print them!

Getting some more work done right now - working on the EW blister on the underside centre line: it's not fun, just a lot of filing and shaping...

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
Nothing new worth photographing, but progress has occurred: I've got the fuselage together with a few minor cuts made - took the upper edge of the vertical stab off in preparation for the EA-6-style fin bulge there, cut the long intake thingy at the root of the stab on the Kfir away to allow reshaping of it, and got the Arrow canopy cut back. Unfortunately, I cut it a bit short, so it'll be interesting sorting that out, but I have an idea made possible by the fact that those clamshells mean there's not much clear stuff to worry about! That and the intakes are the next two, and I think biggest, challenges to deal with.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »
So I've got some work done on the intake. I cut up the intake parts from the Hobbycraft Arrow kit... multiple cuts to make the intake smaller, and a pile of Evergreen strip and sheet, and globs of Tamiya white putty. Started a bit of the sanding, but have had enough of this for the evening, so I figured I'd show my progress.

It's... not quite got the look I was aiming for, but I think it does reflect the general appearance I was hoping to achieve. The hard part will be to get the other side looking the same as this one will...!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 04:28:12 AM »
Nice work on those intakes! That's some serious putty-slinging!

A little sanding and you'll be in the home-stretch!

Brian da Basher

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
Nice work on those intakes! That's some serious putty-slinging!

A little sanding and you'll be in the home-stretch!

Brian da Basher

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

It took me quite a while to convince myself to just dive in and start doing it; as I mentioned, this is the most extensive kitbashing I've ever attempted! It has, however, remotivated me to work on my RW CH-178/Mi-17V-5 kitbash, though for that I at least have someone else's WIP thread to follow as a guide...

I've got my various grades of sanding stick ready, and I'll be getting back at the intake this evening as I sit down to watch some shows! I'm finding that watching something at the same time as sanding takes the drudgery-feeling out of the work.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
Looking good!
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic: