Author Topic: Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 Tanks  (Read 39494 times)

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
Re: Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 Tanks
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 08:23:52 AM »
Given the Leo 1 has a 105mm gun, an 88 would be quite a downgrade.  The Germans were experimenting with 105mm & 128mm tank weapons in late WW2, so a 105mm equipped vehicle is quite valid.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
Given the Leo 1 has a 105mm gun, an 88 would be quite a downgrade.  The Germans were experimenting with 105mm & 128mm tank weapons in late WW2, so a 105mm equipped vehicle is quite valid.

Regards,

John
That is true John. :) I wonder who all makes a W.W.2 German 105mm main gun.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
You would probably be best placed to derive it from the German 10.5cm Flak 38-39:

Not sure if anyone models it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:57:58 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »
My take on Leopard recce and DFSV.
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
For an actual tank gun, the 'Dicker Max' or 10.5cm K18 auf Panzer Selbstfahrlafette IVa was armed with the 105mm K18 gun.  I believe Trumpeter makes a kit of the type in 35th scale.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
Weren't the Germans also working on a 100mm low-recoil (recoilless?) gun during WWII?
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »
Leo1 with 120mm main gun (sometimes also referred to as Leo3)......

With MEXAS armour pack for a what-if Canadian tank?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
You know, somewhere at some point in time, I swear I remember reading a proposal from Giat (or Nexter) that involved equipping the Leo 1 with various turrets from the AMX 30 family. I got the 155 mm SP gun and I kind of understood the DCA (for countries that didn't use the Gepard) but the reason for swapping the turret from the gun tank went over my head a bit.

I've always been a fan of the "cast turret" versions of the Leo 1 and the later A5-A6 variants of the Leo 2. Both also seem like great subjects for Whiffing.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »
For an actual tank gun, the 'Dicker Max' or 10.5cm K18 auf Panzer Selbstfahrlafette IVa was armed with the 105mm K18 gun.  I believe Trumpeter makes a kit of the type in 35th scale.

Regards,

John

I forgot about that one.  Yes there are kits available from at least DML and Trumpeter in 1/35.

How good was the K18 in the antitank role?

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
According to Achtung Panzer, the gun was capable of penetrating 111mm of 30 degrees sloped armor plate at 2000 meters which isn't too shabby and apparently had success against KV & T-34 series vehicles.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/sel105.htm#pzjag

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
You would probably be best placed to derive it from the German 10.5cm Flak 38-39:

Not sure if anyone models it.

Many decades ago, Nitto did.  IIRC Fujimi took up the moulds and re-released it more recently.  The 10.5cm Flak 38-39 wasn't a terribly successful design, falling as it were between the two stools of the 8.8cm and the 12.8cm.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »
Weren't the Germans also working on a 100mm low-recoil (recoilless?) gun during WWII?

They were working on many weird and wonderful weapons.  They fielded a 105mm Rcl but the expense of using it (it used twice as much propellant as a normal gun) killed it.   They also fielded in very small numbers a 8cm PAW 800 gun which used the high-low pressure principle.  They were experimenting with a 10.0cm PAW 1000 weapon but never fielded it.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

Regards,

John

I forgot about that one.  Yes there are kits available from at least DML and Trumpeter in 1/35.

How good was the K18 in the antitank role?

Potentially very good but it was a cumbersome weapon and coming from the Artillery branch, rather than the armoured one a bit behind the eight-ball, as it were.  Their were only 2 Dickermax built and they proved a bit of a failure - more because of the chassis chosen than the gun necessarily.  One was captured by the Russians and put on display in Moscow where several pictures that have been published of it come from.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:31 AM »

Regards,

John

Thanks John. I have the DML version in the stash. Hopefully a metal barrel is available somewhere. :D
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »

Thanks John. I have the DML version in the stash. Hopefully a metal barrel is available somewhere. :D

RB Model do one in 1/35:

You can usually find them for sale on eBay.