Author Topic: 1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2023, 10:57:25 PM »
White oil wash is done.

I'm going to wait until the matt coat is on but I think there's something missing from the effect, it doesn't sparkle like ice should.

I have an idea to fix that but it may take a couple of days to acquire the appropriate effects paint.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »
Matt coat is on & drying. ???

Which is not normal, it's usually dried before I finish the next part, but it's so bleeding cold here right now I should feel myself lucky it's drying at all. :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »
Right, the "ice" effect has been trialled & found to be fairly reasonable. So I finished the undersides with that. 8)

I won't say that anyone more familiar with icing in deeply sub-zero temperatures will think it's any good but I, as a warm temperature native, think it looks OK. ;)

The technique is very simple; I washed on some very thinned SMS White Pearl (PL28) paint over the "muddy" areas (& some not so muddy areas).

I'll try to get some photo's up over the next few days but I'm not confident that it will show in digital images.

Point is: I'm happy with it & that's what really counts. :D

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2023, 07:24:32 AM »
Ok, sounds like progress.

Will wait for the big "Ta Daaaaa" moment

Keep it going

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2023, 09:43:17 AM »
Thanks, BT! :smiley:

It's moving, but slowly (RW getting in the way a bit).

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2023, 10:47:23 AM »
OK, missed a few steps here but currently;

Top run, bottom run & front run of tracks done. A bit messy on the indy link front run but a bit of "mud" will hide the worst of it.

A couple of coffee stirrers per side & the weight of the hull are holding the top & bottom lengths onto the return rollers & road wheels, respectively, while the glue dries to hold them in place.

Hopefully get the rear run of tracks done tonight, after work, & get some photos up tomorrow ... Hopefully! :icon_meditation:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2023, 07:51:15 PM »
OK, well, life has gotten in the way & will be having an impact for a while to come as I clear out my garage so repair works can commence after we copped a pounding from a hail storm on Wednesday, last week.

I haven't quite finished the tracks, although they are sitting while glue dries & are not far from done.

In the meantime I thought I'd post the photo's of the "mud"-works.

12 photo's, some are a bit repetitive but you're all grown up enough to sort out what you think's important. ;)

If you want a bigger image click on it, then click on it again to make it smaller. :smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2023, 02:35:37 AM »
Looking good!

The Merkava in Ukraine might not be a what if anymore.

According to this Reuters article, Israel and the US approved sales of older Merkava Mk.2 and Mk. 3 tanks to be sold to two foreign countries and one is in Europe.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/israel-plans-first-sale-merkava-tank-european-country-2023-06-15/

Here is another article in Hebrew but you can copy and paste in Google translate to read it. This article is more detailed.
https://www.ynet.co.il/news/article/skugq500p2

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2023, 04:03:40 AM »
... The Merkava in Ukraine might not be a what if anymore.

Excellent news!  :smiley:

... Here is another article in Hebrew but you can copy and paste in Google translate to read it...

Main bits ...

... The US Department of Defense should soon approve to Israel the sale of hundreds of Merkava Mark 2 and 3 tanks that were manufactured in Israel in the 1980s and 1990s and have been decommissioned in recent years to two foreign countries, one of them in Europe, against the background of the war in Ukraine and the refinement to which classic armored war vehicles are being re-acquired. This is the first time that Merkava tanks will be sold to a European country.

The Ministry of Defence does not specify the names of the two countries that agreed on the purchase of more than 200 used Israeli tanks in light of the sensitivity of the process, but the deal is on the verge of a final signature and is expected to mature for relatively immediate execution, within about three months. Officials at the Ministry of Defence told Ynet that since certain mechanical parts in these tanks are American-made, especially the engine, approval from the Department of Defense in Washington is required to carry out the transaction.

... more than 200 orphaned tanks remain in the IDF's maintenance depots [...] Initial interest in used tanks began already in the middle of last year and the Ministry of Defence rushed to check the condition of the old tanks, and found that they were serviceable enough to be sold...

It should be noted that in the IDF's warehouses there are still hundreds of M113 APCs that are also going out of use ...

"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2023, 05:50:48 AM »
Fingers crossed!!!  And if they are considering Merkavas to Ukraine, throw in some Namers as well.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2023, 12:12:21 PM »
Seeing as they're talking about older vehicles, specifically Merkava 2's & 3's, I doubt Namers would be on the cards. However, that still leaves the possibility of Israeli upgraded M113s, Achzarits, NagmaSho'ts & Nakpadons (with US agreement).

Interestingly, this leaves open the question of what has happened to the Israeli Ofek APC conversion program (based on Merkava 2 & 3 hulls).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 12:15:14 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2023, 12:14:30 PM »
Looking good!

The Merkava in Ukraine might not be a what if anymore.

Thanks, Ramba! :smiley:

This version of Merkava, I think, given the article as mentioned above, will be a whif for quite some time, though. ;)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
All these different vehicles in Ukraine will be a logistics challenge. Especially parts to keep things running!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2023, 12:44:34 PM »
That's assuming that the Merkavas are going to Ukraine, they may be going to a European country that has donated its tanks*: Czech Republic (Czechia), Slovakia, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands or even the UK.

My laugh-out-loud moment came when my mind flickered across the idea that Australia was the non-European recipient country, so we could make our Abrams tanks available for Ukraine! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[*: This is not an exhaustive list of tank-supplying nations & other European countries are possible recipients.]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2023, 07:32:58 PM »
So, we now enter the realm of more bits being chucked together for a quick photo shoot before I start designing the masks for the digi-cam.

The skirts need a few squirts of paint to fix a few issues that occurred during the fixing of fit issues ... Ain't that always the way! ::)

And the Merkava really does look odd in green! :-\

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2023, 11:29:59 PM »
That looks good! In green, the Merkava looks like the well endowed close cousin of the Marder

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2023, 11:37:46 PM »
Thanks, Frank! :icon_alabanza:

Just wait 'til she's digi-cam'ed! ;)

About 20% of the way there in the design phase. :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2023, 02:58:35 AM »
Seeing as they're talking about older vehicles, specifically Merkava 2's & 3's, I doubt Namers would be on the cards. However, that still leaves the possibility of Israeli upgraded M113s, Achzarits, NagmaSho'ts & Nakpadons (with US agreement).

One can hope...

Interestingly, this leaves open the question of what has happened to the Israeli Ofek APC conversion program (based on Merkava 2 & 3 hulls).

Yeah, not sure about the Ofek (example below).  Though from what I understand it is more of a Command and Control vehicle rather than a pure APC:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2023, 03:01:07 AM »
All these different vehicles in Ukraine will be a logistics challenge. Especially parts to keep things running!

Ukraine already has that challenge but I believe it is a case of use whatever one can now to win the war and drive the Orcs out.  After that they will narrow down to something far more sustainable.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2023, 03:09:47 AM »
That's assuming that the Merkavas are going to Ukraine, they may be going to a European country that has donated its tanks*: Czech Republic (Czechia), Slovakia, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands or even the UK.

More speculation here:  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/israeli-merkava-tank-has-possible-export-customer-in-europe

My laugh-out-loud moment came when my mind flickered across the idea that Australia was the non-European recipient country, so we could make our Abrams tanks available for Ukraine! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Err...no.  Australia's new M1A2 SEPv3s start arriving next year having survived (for now) the DSR.  What is interesting though is the speculation that the older M1A1s might find their way to Ukraine.  Fingers crossed.  Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1664060450772865026?s=66&t=HVAXXZJIMBzelxWw3RruNQ

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2023, 02:09:57 PM »
Well, I did say it was a fleeting though & a laugh-out-loud moment. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2023, 03:19:25 PM »
Work is still under weigh on planning the digi-cam.

However, when it may be done is up in the air, as my painting desk is now in storage while we wait for repairs to the garage to commence (time-frame unknown at this stage).

I may grab one of the folding tables (that I used to paint on) back out of storage, so I can do some painting until the builders come to do the work - at least a folding table can be stored in the shed while the garage is out of bounds.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2023, 04:32:44 AM »
Work is still under weigh on planning the digi-cam...

Looking forward to this! You're right about the Merk looking a bit odd in green ... and digi-cam is an excellent solution (no pun intended)  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2023, 02:58:33 PM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2023, 09:01:33 PM »
About 50% of the way through the design phase of the digi-cam. :smiley: