Author Topic: "The Shield and the Swastika"  (Read 4188 times)

Offline von hitchofen2

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
"The Shield and the Swastika"
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:40:28 AM »
...or the "The Protocols of the F-4s of Zion"...or how Israel helped the Allies Win the Second World War 1939 to 194...?

Part I [of many]

There was little to suggest that anything at all was different. Nothing to suggest that an ineffable force had scooped up the real estate of a modern Middle Eastern republic, everything on its surface and two kilometres of air above it.

The nation had stopped receiving radio and television signals from outside, but that could be jamming, or sunspots...or something. The after-effects were most keenly felt elsewhere – in Poland, people disappeared, which was not unusual at this time – but also in Baghdad, Cairo, Tunis, Damascus, Siberia even, people disappeared. Jews disappeared.

To the citizens of Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Sderot, Be'ersheva and many other places, the 1st of May 1977, dawned just like any other. But at 3:43 AM, something bizarre, inexplicable and momentous had occurred...

...and a fifty-five year old man wandered up the beach at Tel Aviv, wondering why his clothes weren't wet, and where on earth was his car?

"...Is this the real life?, is this just fantasy?
Caught in a Landslide, no escape from reality"

"Bordfunker Riesse!"

"Ja, Hauptmann?"

"What ARE you listening to?"

Of course, the Israeli Defence Forces jumped to conclusions and thought "enemy action"...

Perhaps NATO and the USSR had gone nuclear, that would account for the strange effects on radar, radio, TV and the electromagnetic spectrum in general.

But no warheads on Israel itself? - impossible!

Virtually every flyable aircraft was either put on alert, readiness or into the air. Taking no chances, aircraft technicians at Tel Nof Air base were ordered to attach a "special munition" to an F-4E "Kurnass"...as an RF-4E “Orev”, left the runway

Reconnaissance aircraft of all kinds, Orevs, Shahaks, Kfirs with recce pods, even C-47s were scrambled, but was a Tsniut-nosed Mirage, tasked with photographing the Iraqi air force bases called H-2 and H-3, that came back first.

With pictures of NOTHING - except rocks, dust and scrubland, and the occasional tent.

No runways, no hangars, nothing on their Radar Warning Receivers, no SA-2 "Guideline" SAMs arc'ing up towards them...nothing...

Just what was going on?

Ground forces were mobilised too, and Sho't Kals and Magachs drove towards the Suez canal...

Meanwhile, Avraham walked up to his house, and his wife answered the door. She nearly fainted - “but...but...the police said you were dead...”

Avraham Ofer had been missing for five months...

~*~

Part 2

The two Bristol Mercury engines of the RAF Bristol Blenheim droned monotonously as the monoplane headed slowly eastward, over the Sinai – the reports of tanks driving across the Sinai were incredible, but no more incredible than those of units, checkpoints, whole bedouin encampments disappearing overnight.

Those dust clouds below could only be made by vehicles, and lots of them, mused the observer, and WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!

The Shahak pilot cursed as the Shafrir-2 missile shot uselessly past the lumbering aircraft "...but a least I can fire my guns"

The closing speed of the two aircraft meant he had only one chance to destroy it, his wingman would not fail if he did...as he closed in to visual he saw the blue and red roundels, and the shock made the pilot lose sight and overshoot...

“Red 1 to control, uncorrelated target is a propeller-driven RAF aircraft – very slow – hard to engage, should I continue the attack?”

~

The cabinet meeting was as fractious and bewildering as ever- they had been moved forcibly from the politics section to the science fiction shelves - they could not agree on the date even – May, June? The calendar on the wall still said 3rd May 1977...

"We are trapped in technological dead end - none of the weapons we have now will last a year, we either use them or lose them, and President Carter definitely won't sell us any F-16s now...

“At least we won't have speak to Carter ever again...”

"We're already manufacturing the J79 engine, production of the Kfir is on schedule, the Merkava tank is months away from full production...even if we do have omit some of the electronics"

“We must establish contact with Roosevelt, Churchill...and...and whoever is in charge of France...”

“Churchill isn't even Prime Minister yet”

"How long can we keep the Textile factory from operating without outside help, Six months? A year? What about the electronic components and raw materials we need?"

"...you're being unnecessarily pessimistic Shimon, the war won't last that long"

"Soothsayer, are you now? - Without resources, and the industrial backing of a major power, I give us eighteen months...Hitler can wait for us to disintegrate"

"We're wasting resources on those Boeing 707 bombers, and those junkyard Spitfires and Mustangs are a ludicrous idea"

"We have to utilise everything we have, we can't squander our Kurnass', Neshers and tanks on Arabs with bolt-action rifles...or are we to march to the Reichkanzlerei with just Uzis in our hands?"

“What do we do about the election, we can't postpone it for ever. Technically I have resigned already” said Rabin. Whoever takes over this chaos, it won't be me...he mused, sighing

“We've not been in a situation like this before”

“Who has? There's no manual, nothing in the constitution – what do we do? Drift...

"Gentlemen, please! The state of emergency has gone on for over nearly forty-eight hours, what do we tell the Knesset? the public?
That God has smited our enemies, and replaced them with the Third Reich?
That the Fedayeen that murdered your brothers and sisters are permanently out of reach of justice?
That your families may live still yet in the death camps and ghettoes?"

~*~

Unknown British Canal Zone soldier - “'Ere, don't you know there's a war on!”

Australian United Nations Emergency Forces officer “It's the Middle East mate, there's ALWAYS a bloody war on!”

“When the UNEF troops pulled up in their white armoured vehicles, I didn't know what to think. They were heavily armed, but not hostile, but they all spoke heavily accented English and a good few of them were as black as night, so I assumed they must be the enemy or fifth columnists. They said they were peacekeepers, but neither side knew what the hell each of us were doing there. When they said they were Swedes, Poles, Finns and Ghanaians, it didn't make things any clearer.

I'd never heard of Garnaya[sic], anyway.

Little did we know that the "peacekeepers" could have wiped out every man jack of us on the Suez in about half-an-hour.

We were glad they were there. I can still hear that jet as it roared overhead, the noise went right through me, it sounded like the end of the world. One of the Canucks said it was the first time he'd been happy to see the Israeli Air Force. That was the first time I heard Israeli, Israel meaning the country. After midday, we saw the dust clouds off in the distance, and they said “that's the IDF”.

They frantically radioed the Israelis all day, to tell them the Canal area was secure. But the dust clouds kept coming, and wasn't long before we could see masses of tanks, nagmashes [1], jeeps, lorries, heading straight for us.

The kit they had, it seemed like they could annihilate us, and be in Cairo by sundown, and have fought their way to Gibraltar by the middle of next week.

If we'd shot at them, the war could have turned out a lot different, to put it mildly. I wouldn't be speaking to you now, I'm sure of it.

Their tanks were huge, bigger and nastier than any tank I'd ever seen. It was only later we found they were British-made.

When we saw the Tzahal soldiers, they were just young and scared, like we were...”

Corporal Reg Butler, from “The Upheaval: Witnesses to history” Simon and Shuster, New York 1949

[1] Hebrew term for Armoured personnel carrier, adopted by most Allied armies

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: "The Shield and the Swastika"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:12:16 AM »
Interesting, very interesting.  Is this the effect of one of Eric Flint's "shards" or is the temporal relocation by some other means?  If 'tis one of the shards, the effects at the other end, where Israel is replaced by the same land as of 1939 could be quite interesting.

Offline von hitchofen2

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:02 AM »
its SM Stirling/John Birmingham ISOT, only on a much larger scale

this is the second version of this timeline, a more complicated version can found on alternatehistory.com [but not by me as I'm not a member]

the old version got too bogged down in North Africa, and didn't offer much scope for intervention in Europe

this one will 1st May 1977 - 1st May 1940

I too, wonder what the world of 1977 makes of a predominantly Arab Palestine appearing out of nowhere...could be tricky

anyway here is a map

area in blue ISOT'd entirely

area in Red contains UNEF forces also ISOT'd - quickly annexed by Israel

area in Orange later annexed by Israel in return for military support of France

Offline von hitchofen2

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »
The Bristol Blenheim was shepherded all the way through Israeli airspace by a camouflaged DC-3, which carried a large blue six-pointed star on its side and wings. A man appeared periodically at the DC-3's cargo door to point what looked liked a gun at them. Two black triangular "rocket ships" circled throughout, as if waiting to pounce. The RAF aircraft was motioned to land at Ashkelon. The DC-3 landed alongside it, and the mid-upper gunner noticed that he was the only man with a gun - the other bloke had been pointing a camera at him.

After climbing out the Blenheim, Flt Lt John Holt and his crew, Sgt David Appleyard, and LAC Donald Smith were greeted by and Israeli officer. They didn't quite catch his name, but it sounded like "Spectre". They then became the focus of a small diplomatic incident, as British embassy staff, and Israeli Heyl Ha'Avir and Aman personnel debated who would talk to them first.

Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain looked into the abyss, and the abyss stared back. The rumblings of discontent over the conduct of the War, especially with regard to Norway, and the lukewarm support for Finland in their “Winter War” against the Soviets, had been growing for weeks. The news from Egypt, however, had administered a fatal blow. The Navy could protect England from the worst the Germans could do, but the capture of the Suez canal – by unknown forces - had put England and the Empire in mortal danger. Cut off from Persia, India, Burma, Malaya, and its bases in the Orient, the British war effort would falter and crumble.

Somehow the Mirror, Herald and Express had got hold of the news of the tanks sat on the banks of the canal, and while the editor of the Times and (thank heavens) the BBC had been persuaded to keep silent, those paper were preparing to print headlines like “Suez captured” and “Empire at Risk”.

With that in mind the resignations of the Secretary of State for the Colonies, Malcolm MacDonald, and the Secretary of State for War Oliver Stanley had been a dire political necessity, and against his better judgement Chamberlain had had to appoint Anthony Eden and Winston Churchill to those cabinet posts.

The news from Norway was equally unbearable, and Chamberlain would have to endure an adjournment debate, and a confidence vote in the Commons.

Everything he had strived for was in ruins, it seemed.

What else could go wrong?

[Time to Westfeldzug: 86 hours]

From the moment it became apparent the the State of Israel was co-existing on the same planet with der Tausendjahrige Reich, contingency plans were made to track the movements of the Führer, Reichsführer-SS Himmler, Reichsmarschall Göring plus Hess, Milch, Udet, Heydrich, Goebbels, Dönitz and many of the other disciples of evil.

With a view to facilitating their assassination, of course.

When the name Adolf Eichmann was added to the list, an exasperated Shin Bet exclaimed "You mean, we've got to kill him again?"

Hitler was currently at Bad Munstereifel, at the Felsennest bunker. A nuclear attack had already been considered, but the known facts about the bunker suggested the Führer would survive such an attack. Towards the end of June he would most probably move to Brûly-de-Peche

History books were the main source, but exhaustive details were hard to come by, and there was every chance the time displacement had already affected known events.

Wiser counsels claimed that killing Hitler and Goring may be counter-productive, as their arrogance and insanity have contributed to the The Third Reich's defeat.

At least the Nazis themselves were largely oblivious to developments in the Middle East, obsessing as they were over the forthcoming implementation of Fall Gelb, the great test of the Wehrmacht against the Reich's old enemies.

The French and British were all too aware of the threat the Israeli seemed to pose. It would be necessary to offer military assistance to these nations with great haste...whether they would accept their help was a good question.

Above the Shin Bet paygrade, another feasibility study was in progress, lead by Benny Peled and "Mottie" Hod, current and previous heads of the Israeli Air Force.

Everyone was reticent about what Operation Vengeance would entail, but they would have to face the consequences, whatever happened. At least the final decision would have to be taken at a political, rather than a command level – hopefully the extent of the attacks would decided at cabinet level too, and the inevitable resulting controversy would not damage the IDF.

This was all unknown territory, and any action would involve personnel and equipment as yet untested in battle, trained and designed to fight a very different war.

Plans were being made to contact the British and French governments, in person and by radio as soon as possible...

~

The Beech Queen Air was usually tasked with transporting senior Israeli personnel, so it was the perfect for transporting Aluf Mordechai "Motta" Gur and the UNEF commander Lt Gen Ensio Siilasvuo plus others to Cairo to meet with the British.

However it was the reassuring shape of the aircraft that accompanied it that would ensure their safety.

IDF technicians and reservists had worked night and day to get TE554/57 airworthy again, it having become a static museum piece in 1976, having been deemed a costly luxury. As usual it was flown by Ezer Weizman. Under normal circumstances, there would be no other Spitfires in the Middle East, not until late 1942.

As planned, the two aircraft landed at Almaza, where they were greeted by Gen. Henry "Jumbo" Wilson, the Old-Etonian General Officer Commanding of British Forces in Egypt, who was eager to meet these foreign strangers, and find out what exactly WHAT had been going on these last six days.