Author Topic: Convair NEV  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Convair NEV
« on: June 18, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
This is the new(ish) Moebius 1/144 Convair NEV (Nuclear Exploratory Vehicle). This is not a re-pop of the old Strombecker kit, but completely new molds. It's pretty simple to build and the thick pins and attachment points almost make it a snap-tite kit. It's also very long and heavy - the kit parts are very thick.

I left the engine, connecting spine and crew module unglued, for easier painting and transport.

The kit seemed pretty bare, so I printed a radiation shield for the engine and a small manned pod.

With boxtop:

NERVA mod-2 engine detail with the radiation shield:

The astronaut is from a 1/144 Mecha "Mobile Staff" from Wave. The tether is some ABS that I squeezed out of the printer to clean the head after changing filaments. The pod is 3D printed. The canopy is a piece of clear sprue. The engines are from one of the Mercury capsules in the AMT 1/200 US Man in Space set. I bought the first re-release of the kit and it was cheap, so I didn't mind using it for parts... it's apparently both rare and expensive.

Another view:

The pod is pretty basic - front and rear rounded caps, cylindrical body with a bump for the pilot and a docking tube underneath. I printed it in ABS and smoothed it with Acetone vapors. Some sanding removed all the print artifacts.

The decals are from random kits. The UNITED STATES is from the Monogram re-pop of the 1/48 Space Taxi. It's yellowed, but I like the effect.
The paint is Badger Stynylrez aluminum primer, with some panels in Vallejo Metallics. The tank caps are a mix of  Badger Stynylrez white and gray primers.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:51:56 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Convair NEV
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »
You've got a real talent for space vehicles, Frank!

It's a treat to see one of these built but I've never seen one done finer!

The shield in back is a great addition and I really like the astronaut.

Brian da Basher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
Excellent work Frank. Appreciate the build narrative and the bill of materials.

I'll meet you out by Ceres say in 6 months?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
Nice work Frank!  Your tether solution was a great idea for solving the tether issue. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
Beautiful!! 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:10:26 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:35:29 AM »
very nice

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 07:24:43 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys! This wasn't a difficult build and it was fun. If the kit were cheaper, I'd buy more for parts.

A quick calculation online shows that it would take around 60-90 days to get to Mars in a Hohmann transfer orbit, maybe twice that long to get to Ceres. You have to be a dedicated astronaut to be willing to spend all that time in a fairly small crew module just to visit some smelly Belters!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:16:21 AM »
Good looking build - the Gundam pilot astronaut and the pod are nice touches, too. It does have a pretty modest cabin for the type of ship, doesn't it. ??? Hop we'll continue to see more kits from the Colliers era...