Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - Air Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detection Sensor (ADSID)  (Read 8023 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
The ADSID (Air Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detection) Sensor were employed during the Vietnam War in support of the Igloo White Program to monitor the Ho Chi Minh road and trail network that was used by North Vietnam to infiltrate personnel, supplies, and equipment from into South Vietnam. The network ran along the border with Cambodia and Laos. There were a variety of sensors employed including seismic, acoustic, and an electro-magnetic sensor that could detect motor vehicles. The ADSID was part of a family of sensors that were released from aircraft as the name implies, and fielded in versions I, II and III. Sensors dropped in each area of operations were factory-built with a fixed-frequency on which they transmitted. It is estimated that some 36,000 ADSID and ACOUSID sensors were produced by just one of the contributing manufacturers involved. Sensor design consisted of a series of common modules, using the latest Integrated-Circuit chip technology of the time to keep costs down. The electronics design centered on a concept of interchangeable subsystem circuit boards. Over 20,000 air delivered sensors were expended along the Ho Chi Minh trail in support of the Igloo White Program before the program was terminated.  Screenshots of the 3D model created using SketchUp

This image attempts to show how the device was employed with just the antenna section being above ground. 

Click on image or this link to my FaceBook album for additional images.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:21:31 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
Nifty stuff Jeff.  Of course you realise now you'll have to knock up some Pave Gats, BLU-82s and the like!

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Nifty stuff Jeff.  Of course you realise now you'll have to knock up some Pave Gats, BLU-82s and the like!

Some of the subjects I choose to model are relatively simple in size and shape.  Most of the weapons shapes fall in to that category.  Where it gets complicated is in the complex compound flowing curves associated with things that have wheels or wings.  I choose my battles carefully as defeat is no fun when it comes to modeling something that is just beyond your abilities.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:16:26 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
Have to agree there.  You can't give what you don't have.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

This one could also easily be a space station...if you think about it... :dizzy:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
This one could also easily be a space station...if you think about it... :dizzy:

Or a very high-tech roofing nail :^)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Fixed link for image and html.