Author Topic: Tamiya king George v  (Read 18655 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Tamiya king George v
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:22 AM »
Hi all I was given this and the Bismark for a Christmas pressie from my daughter and son I bought what i thought was the pe for this kit (which cost more than the kit and I now discover is still not the full pe for it, i will buy the rest but just have to wait a bit) so I was thinking I quite like the pics by Eduard and pontos (others are availiable) of the pe on the finished ship with no paint on it and was thinking maybe I would do that with just a slight difference being I would weather the pe but leave it unpainted. What do you all think, I quite like the pe showing I think it adds interest(i know it's not very accurate but let's face it I'm pretty rubbish with this modelling lark and I very seldom build as per the instructions anyway.
So here is my start on this build

Made a start on the decking (Will be using pastels for the decking this is just the base coat.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Tamiya king George v
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »
If you're rubbish at modelling, I'm pathetic & should take up something like rock hammering*!

*Rock hammering = hold hammer in preferred hand, put rock on ground, hit rock with hammer, try not to injure self too severely.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »
That rock hammering is tricky stuff so many problems to over come wind resistance, trajectory, force. Its way over my pay grade, good luck with that.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:33:21 PM »
I find selecting the correct hammer the hard bit.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:20:51 AM »
If Bugs can do it...

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »
If Bugs can do it...

Yep, that'd be my speed! Probably with the same facial expression, too. ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:02:04 PM »
Thats how i look when im really concentrating ( which performing such a complex task i would be)
Well im a bit annoyed with eduard.
I started putting the pe portholes on and got 10 done and thought hang on theres something wrong here ( they give you 50 pe portholes) counted down one side theres 63 (it does say optional parts) optional or not they should at least supply enough for the job. And now im thinking about it what about all the pprtholes on the super structure.
When i built the warspite i had loads of parts left on tge sprue that wernt mentioned anywhere in tge instructions ive since discovered they were ment to be portholes they look a bit different to the ones eduard supply but maybe i will use them.
I managed to get the portholes off without damaging the paintwork too much. As i say maybe i will try the warspite ones will have a count up and see if theres enough.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:09 AM »
Hi all well I've done the decking and weathered the hull.

I'm surprised how much bigger this is than the warspite she also quite a bit wider.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:18:15 AM »
Looking good.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
 :smiley: ;)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 03:34:26 AM »
Hi all well I hope you can see these pics, here is the next update.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 12:54:18 AM »
Your pics are suddenly not showing - did you change something?

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 01:40:37 AM »
That's strange I've changed nothing but elsewhere I've had this said not sure how to get round it as I can see the pics so I can't tell if others can't it only seems (so far to be on 2 forums and even then not on all posts)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
I see pic's. :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 02:16:25 AM »
They're showing now...odd. ???

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »

Hi all well the rest of the eduard pe has arrived now I have to cut off all the little boxes I just spent ages painting on the decks also the blast shields and all the doors off all the superstructure 

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 03:24:34 AM »
Hi all well I've added a miniscule amount of the huge amount of pe to this and I've realised someone made a big mistake how do you open these doors.

Encase you can't see from the pics there is a box about 1 mill in font of a 3 mill door 

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 02:34:25 AM »
Well it's been a long time since I put a ship on a stand (usually I have them in a dio of some sort) I think the last one I put on a stand was the La Royale de France.
I'm not sure I like the supplied stand maybe I will put her in a dry dock.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
Stand looks very basic compared to what you're putting together there.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
Like contrast of wood look main deck with light & dark gray superstructure.  Is good.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 02:10:02 AM »
Hi all well this will probably be my last update before we get back from our hols we will be packing tomorrow night.
Got to say I'm really looking forward to a week in the sun doing nothing at all with a drink in my hand and my every whim catered for.

I'm thinking of drilling out all the portholes (I say thinking as there are a lot of them)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:34 AM »
Hi all the pe really does make a big difference, I'm still not great at it but even with my ham fisted efforts I still think it looks better (of course if I painted it it would help to hide my errors) I still like the improvements though.
The first 2 pics are how the parts would be oob that is the completed part.

And this is with the added pe

And here it is in place

That part is only 10mm so is really small.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:39 AM »
Hi all well to say I'm disappointed with eduard pe is an understatement I've removed the plastic from the deck that the eduard instructions tell you to so how do I put the box when folded in the first two pics over the larger box.

There are several more folded boxes so I assume I will have the same problem with them, that is problem one with the eduard set number two the instructions show 2 part 30 and there are indeed two boxes on the deck which need those parts here is what eduard supply

As you can see only 1 part 30 and of course as I've already mentioned earlier in the build there are no where near enough scuttles supplied.

Number 3 their numbering on the frets has no logic at all number 84 being next to number 172 171 being next to 80 takes longer to find the part than it takes to atattch it.

Number 4 the folding instructions are pretty much non existent. 

I've not had a lot of experience with pe but considering eduard are up there with the priceyest. I have to say it's the worst I've used so far. I think I will stick with mk1 and pontos from now on.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 02:10:08 AM »
To me, PE is the definition of insanity and I hate it so much I refer to it as photo retch. When I try to work with it, I end up sling-shotting pieces all over the place that are never found or at least not found for years until stuck fast to some part of my house.

I cannot commend you enough for your bravery and skill working with this stuff.

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »
Hi all here is an example of the eduard instructions.

The circle shows pe to be added to the top of the boxes (anything to be removed is highlighted in red) as you can see from the pencil arrow and as you can see from the fret it's not even the right shape the boxes as modelled by Tamiya (who I'm inclined to believe above eduard) are oblong eduard model them square. I'm using the eduard pe as I bought it but judging by what I've seen so far I don't trust eduard, Tamiya on the other hand are a well respected model producer with years of experience behind them. This is definitely the very last eduard pe I will buy. What annoys me most is they are supposed to be a premium pe producer as I've now discovered paying premium prices with pe dosnt mean you get premium products. 

I've not had much experience with pe but the cheapest I've bought so far is the mk1 pe and it blows eduard out the water.

Someone said they do great aircraft pe (the best available, well I say to eduard stick to aircraft, I don't build aircraft so not a product I'm ever likely to buy)