Author Topic: F-14/35 TomLite II  (Read 14417 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
F-14/35 TomLite II
« on: August 09, 2016, 03:25:43 AM »
As always I have tons of ideas for the GB but took some time to pick. A cross between a Tomcat and an F-35:

Start picture. 1/48 Tomcat Cockpit that is from another completed model (but I never glued it on so I could check for fit on other projects like this one- won't actually use what is shown.) And I have the seat and guy there for scale along with the 1/48 F110. Primary model is the older Hasegawa 1/72 scale Tomcat. this particular model was actually a "scale-o-rama" on accident. I bought it as in from Ebay thinking it was a 1/48 F-14!! oops! Well I guess it still can be  :) If you look to the right I also grabbed a 1/48 scale F-18 canopy which may also be a contender, but I am leaning to the F-14 cockpit right now.

F110 looks kind of big since th pic was taken with it ON TOP of the model.

Had to think about and mark the cuts... Also shown is the Lego Spine.

After the cuts!!! :o No going back now. I do not like this though. I need to tone down the big areas I have cut. I was going to blank them off and add greeblies but they are just too large an area... hmmm.  ???

plan your cuts!

1/48 Tomcat Fin cut down, along with my seated pilot and seat. He has been critical in finding right where the seat needs to be in the semi cramped 1/72 scale cockpit.

Possibly longer spine. Making some good progress. This is one of my Science Fiction projects that requires intricate paint work planning so I have had to take a deep breath and make sure stuff is on track... hope for more updates soon.

:) :)

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: F-14/35 TomLite II
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:53:57 AM »
Wicked!  Looks like you are off to a great start with the LEGO block interface :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »
Sooo interesting,,,   keep posting :)

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:55:52 AM »
Using "my precious kittah" the Cat as the base, even a F-35 lookalike can look good, as this project proves!

Will you keep the LEGOTM spine, or is it just a placeholder for plasticard structure?

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
I love your project of a huge canopy bringing more personality :-*

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:26:27 AM »
First thought after seeing first photo?

Keep us posted, this is great idea:)
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:33:07 AM »
I'm just dizzy with all the wonderful modifications, Mr Tomcat!

I can only tip my hat to such incredible audaciousness and imagination!

Very much looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

artoor, I seem the similiarity! it seems like F-22, F-35 and even B-2 have "beaks" !!

Kelmola the lego is going to stay because it fits really well and I could make something similar out of styrene, and it would look a tad better but this already exceeds my expectations so I am going to keep it. I am thinking about doing this same trick with a 1/48 Tomcat and 1/32 parts. it would definitely be more detailed and I would use styrene in that case. With a bigger scale you have to take more care.

update:

The original 1/72 cockpit glued in a different location (and good god almighty did it fight me. It did not want to go there!) with a stand in 1/48 seat. The cockpit is going to be extremely minimal. Might throw a figure in there to "hide" it.

F-35 intake shape!

in an effort to "break up" the large flat panels at the rear I had to make some cuts and add more work.

I almost cut through the whole thing!  :o

begin the blanking!

lots of glue since it was rough shapes that would have to be sanded and cut on the model itself. Didn't want them breaking off. you can also see where I drilled holes for the new fins.

new bottom

so the rear now has a large step. To be filled with small pieces, greeblies to give it a slightly more blended look. slight gap, easily filed. This is the nice thing about doing major kit surgery on smaller scales, fixes are just far easier.

Fin test fit

broke out the big guns. Hasegawa F-35A brought out of the stash to help with proportions and dimensions comparisons.

This 1/72 Tomcat converted to 1/48 would be about the size of an Av-8 Harrier. So its relatively small.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »
Your incredible pay-by-play never ceases to amaze me, Mr Tomcat!

You are so very right about fixes being easier in smaller scales. When I get compliments about something I built in 1/144 part of me feels guilty because modifications are so much more forgiving the tinier the model is.

That's some nice card work, I'll have to make a mental note as I can see myself facing similar situations someday.

Grateful for a great update,
Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 01:48:58 AM »
Hey everyone! Quick update. This project is not on the back-burner. I rattle bombed it with Testors Gunship Gray, and even after 48 hours the stuff was SUPER tacky. Like afraid it would stick to my finger tacky. I consulted the google, and with nothing to lose decided I should let it back in the sun a couple days in a row to help the curing process (Its an Enamel) This seems to have helped but has set me back a few days. I worked on some missiles, and have decided I do want to include a bit of engine pipe for depth beyond just the visible exhaust.  I have to make some big cuts but couldn't do to the paint. So sorry no pictures, but I wanted to include some kind of update.

I still don't know how I will handle the undercarriage or if I should include a pilot for additional scale.  :-\

-David Fincher

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:17 AM »
Another marvel from the King of Tomcats :)

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
Another marvel from the King of Tomcats :)

Thanks!  :)

So normally I agonize over when to paint parts, but this time I tried something different. I had the idea that the faster you get paint on plastic the better, even if it means some additional trips to the paint booth.
Results are still in the air  :-\

more major surgery. I also carved off big hunks of the can there to make it fit-- its still snug!

Ah masking. I could write paragraphs about this...

hey! Great early return there!

peeled the rest off and pretty darn good overall!!  :)

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 01:43:44 AM »

trying to take advantage in the layout of the kit to create cool designs. I thought the white line was too thick so I toned it down^

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8130/29032610760_cf0798889f_b.jpg

everything loosely dry fitted on there with the test canopy to figure out exactly where I want it

Lots of masking and painting later (3 colors back to back) It looks like an F-35 canopy in shape... slightly larger than I had planned. Reminds me of this right now:

Houston, we have a Replica

-David Fincher

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 02:13:56 AM »
I see lot of surgery there...it's not an easy job.
Great work  :-*
Alex

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
That is some masterful surgery there!

Love the stripes too!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 07:59:27 PM »
Lots of work remain to be done, but this promising... :)

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 05:31:52 AM »
Waiting for more of your work Mr Taiidantomcat!

Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:44:48 AM »
Waiting for more of your work Mr Taiidantomcat!

Got distracted with 1:1 scale stuff, 2 birthdays, a wedding, a vacation, and getting sick!  :o plus this wall Ive been working on with the Mrs:

I just can't get away from painting stripes!  ;D

The Confetti trick from Dave Roof in action. Its a little bit too big though, so I can't fit a pilot in there  :(

decided not to go for undercarriage, and instead drilled a hole for a mount.

anytime you build a tomcat the Fuselage joint is tricky. I got my clamps ready and then the "fun" began. I knew it would be challenging, but oh man it was BAD. First, do yourself a favor: whatever you plan on doing with the spoilers (open or closed) make sure you glue them in FIRST. It helps keep things alinged and gives more surface area to join the two halves... guess what I learned the hard way?? So I joined them and then realized it was warped as I was attaching the halves. I quickly glued them in (barely fitting) to straighten everything. If I had not noticed this, I would have been unable to ever get them in! It was really dicey to the point I thought the whole thing might be ruined. It was very close.

Having said that, I was in the right move and started getting other steps going, painting the exhaust, and other pieces, I actually got a lot done and did some test fitting:

Fins are test fitted, Spine is glue, nose cone is glued. nose section is placed along with fins and Canopy to steal a preview of the future. I also decided how to paint the fins Hooray!

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
Looking freakin' awesome, tt! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 01:56:47 AM »
Looking freakin' awesome, tt! 8)

Thanks Wombat!  :)

quick update, and some problems:

the good news Masks worked well here. First time I am using the proper Homeworld Eurostile font. Had to use a 7 because it was the most simple thing to cut out LOL. But it makes a difference to my eye!

yikes! I redid this.

The canopy does not fit!!!  :o :o Seat is too high:

Will try again soon.

Deadline came out of nowhere! I was moving really well on this and then hit snags with life.  :o

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
Always the way with Life, it's a nasty habit & something it should stop doing! >:D

At least the problems aren't insurmountable! Still lovin' it! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 04:26:10 AM »
Some updates as I crawl to the finish:

Canopy glued together. The Canopy was actually one of the more complicated parts of this whole project. Lots of masking, 2 pieces, front frames removed.

Seat held in with super glue and crossed fingers.

Gap fixed.

Big ol' engine

Another shot from the 6. Hard to tell but I took the 1/48 Tomcat Exhaust (From Revell/Monogram. Cut the outside to fit in the new bay. painted it white, then used Tamiya clear yellow over it like a wash to add depth.

Where we are now. Still have some decaling to do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:28:36 AM by taiidantomcat »

-David Fincher

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 05:36:51 AM »
You're almost there....
Alex

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 06:23:58 AM »
Ohhhh stripey!

:) :) :)

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
 :) :)