Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 132655 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »
My opinion:

The Secutor looks wa-ay cooler 8) but the M151 looks more realistic ;)

The Secutor looks really cool especially on the Type 82. Don't forget though, these vehicles are being done as what if/fictional.

Oh, I hadn't forgotten, I was just leaving which aesthetic you wanted to go with up to you. :smiley: ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2020, 12:19:36 AM »
Small update. Working on the tires and wheels for both the JGSDF command and NBC vehicles. The tires are plastic and come in halves. I assembled the tire halves but left off the wheels for easier painting when the time comes.

Here is the NBC vehicle as it stands now. The flag pole marker container (left rear) and sample collector arm (right rear) had huge gaps that needed filling.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2020, 01:18:11 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2020, 03:45:52 AM »
I prefer plastic (or resin) wheels over vinyl. These look pretty good. I have all of these kits in the stash, so I'm following your builds with interest, especially the issues.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2020, 04:05:00 AM »
I prefer plastic (or resin) wheels over vinyl. These look pretty good. I have all of these kits in the stash, so I'm following your builds with interest, especially the issues.

For the most part the Trumpeter JGSDF kits go together nicely. The biggest problem I encountered was on the NBC vehicle with the gaps on the two rear parts I mentioned earlier. There were some smaller gaps on the rear hull but fixed very easily. Other than that the rest of the kit went together smoothly. The Hobby Boss PLA PTL-02 kit went together with ease and no problems what so ever.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2020, 05:19:45 AM »
This is the Live Resin Secutor. It is a really nice RWS. I took mine off the tracked robot and am using it on the Bandai M61A5.
I like the concept, but remember, the crew has to get out of the turret somehow and putting the RWS on the turret hatch seems counterproductive, somehow...   ;D ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
This is the Live Resin Secutor. It is a really nice RWS. I took mine off the tracked robot and am using it on the Bandai M61A5.

I like the concept, but remember, the crew has to get out of the turret somehow and putting the RWS on the turret hatch seems counterproductive, somehow...   ;D ;D

Yes, you are correct, the Live Resin Secutor RWS does block the turret hatch but the Bandai M61A5 MBT rear hull has crew access doors similar to the rear of the Merkava tanks, the crew can escape from the rear doors. The Merkava rear door is small compared to the M61A5. The M61A5 has double doors on the rear hull. Here is the M61A5 rear crew access doors.

Merkava rear crew door.

The Stryker Dragoon has a remote turret with no turret hatch. Here is some info about the Protector MCT turret.
https://www.kongsberg.com/kda/products/defence-and-security/remote-weapon-systems/protector-mct/

The SPz Puma also has a remote turret with no turret hatch.

Either way, I won't be using the Live Resin Secutor on the Bandai M61A5. I am using the Live Resin Secutor on the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 82 vehicle instead.

I am using the Bronco XM153 RWS on the M61A5 now so the turret hatch is not blocked anymore.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2020, 12:02:40 AM »
Sometimes wish I'd bought a M61A5 back when. I still might, if they become available again. ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2020, 01:05:11 AM »
Sometimes wish I'd bought a M61A5 back when. I still might, if they become available again. ;)

I got mine on sale cheap a couple years ago from Amazon. I actually bought two but sold one last year. I wish I held onto it now because they are selling for almost $300 USD now. Well, I should say, they are asking almost $300 USD now but not sure if they are actually selling at that price.

The M61A5 is really cool! It is a huge tank though. Here is the Bandai 1/35 M61A5 next to the Academy 1/35 Merkava Mk.IID.

Next to the Tamiya 1/35 Leopard 1A4.

Next to the Panda 1/35 T-15 Armata. The T-15 is huge as well.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »
Made a change to the Revell Fuchs with the SAG II turret and M134 minigun, I am using twin .50cals instead. Here is how it looks now. Hopefully this will be the last change. Still need to show the ammo feed chutes but the twin .50cals and ammo cans are only dry fitted for now.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2020, 01:10:42 AM »
Wow!  That is quite a different look for the Fuchs and it looks great!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »
This series of builds is going to vie for the definition of "awesomeness". :D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:39 AM »
Wow!  That is quite a different look for the Fuchs and it looks great!

Thanks! Yeah, the SAG II turret makes a big difference.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2020, 03:51:32 AM »
This series of builds is going to vie for the definition of "awesomeness". :D

Thanks! I just hope I can achieve the same quality as your builds.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2020, 05:28:39 AM »
Did a little work on the JGSDF NBC vehicle. Mostly just test/dry fitted some parts like the weapons and tires/wheels. I wanted to see how it sits with the tires on. Most of the parts will be painted first before being added on. Makes it easier for me to paint and weather overall when the time comes.

I posed a Black Dog 1/35 Stalker figure next to it for size comparison.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:59 AM »
The Type 82 armored vehicles look odd somehow - almost as if the Japanese designers were into superdeformed vehicles... The cut down rear makes a big improvement to the NBC kit. It looks good on its wheels!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »
The Type 82 armored vehicles look odd somehow - almost as if the Japanese designers were into superdeformed vehicles... The cut down rear makes a big improvement to the NBC kit. It looks good on its wheels!

Thanks!

Yes, the original way, they looked superdeformed hahahahaha! That is why I removed the raised rear section. Definitely a major improvement.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
Started on yet another what if project. Here is the Trumpeter 1/35 Strv 103C. I am removing the 105mm main gun and converting it to a recon vehicle.

This is the basic layout. I am putting a Live Resin RWS with a different Live Resin .50cal. The RWS is slightly modified because I was trying to fit twin .50cals on it and I broke it. Just gotta make sure the RWS doesn't interfere with the commander's cupola which isn't on yet.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:34 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2020, 03:35:25 AM »
That sort of thing works as a life extension option.. interested to see how this goes as well

Offline Ramba

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »
That sort of thing works as a life extension option.. interested to see how this goes as well

My original idea was to do it as some sort of futuristic APC but it is really cramped inside. There are only 3 crew members, commander, driver and gunner. Even by removing the 105mm main gun and ammo auto loader it is still cramped. This is why I am just going to do it as a recon vehicle.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2020, 10:04:55 PM »
Filling in the main gun area with plastic card. There was a small hatch on the center rear of the upper hull that had the two smoke flare launchers that I didn't use. I also filled it with plastic card to fit the RWS.

The commander's cupola and RWS are just dry fitted for now. I am only dry fitting to make sure the RWS clears the commander's cupola. There is still a lot of stuff to add to the commander's cupola so I might have to adjust the RWS once the other parts are added.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2020, 01:52:19 AM »
I might have gone with a retractable (pivoting from the rear perhaps) mast/arm with sensors on the end to help with recon.  Maybe something akin to below:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:58:46 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2020, 03:15:44 AM »
@Ramba - you certainly have your work cut out for you on that S-Tank.  Such a small area to work with around the top of the vehicle with the crew hatches being in the way of progress.  I often wondered what an S-Tank would look like with a larger weapon installed.  Perhaps something like the 152mm gun/missile launcher from the Sheridan/M60A2/MBT-70/XM803?  Turn it in to an ambush weapon with a very heavy punch.  Still like the idea of losing the main gun though and putting some kind of sensor/weapon system on top if space can be found for it.  :smiley:

*** a size comparison with the HMMWV might also be in order to get an idea of just how small the S-Tank really is.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2020, 06:21:43 AM »
I might have gone with a retractable (pivoting from the rear perhaps) mast/arm with sensors on the end to help with recon.  Maybe something akin to below:

I do have the Live Resin SBRM recon set that I was thinking of using but decided against it. I think I am just going to do it as some sort of light fighting vehicle. I really like to have the .50cal RWS on it. Gives it a meaner look.