Author Topic: McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 161759 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle Ideas and Inspiration
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
The discussion with production F-17 makes me wonder about one thing- did GE compete for the engine to be used by the F-15?  If they did, what engine did they enter the competition with?

========================================================

Nevertheless, even though it couldn't be the YJ101 or F404 that GE competed for the F-15's engines with, I feel tempted to think of a F-15 powered by a cluster of three of these turbofans, too......
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
I don't know if there was any original competing engine, although in recent years the F-15 has been available with the GE F110 engine.  Variants with this so far include the F-15K, SG and updated S versions.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:04:33 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
One concept I am toying with is the idea of an F-15 fitted with a probe & drogue air-to-air refuelling arrangement.  Either for the proposed F-15N or as an option for export versions.

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
Another could be a VG wing onto an F-15 body.  Bit of a twist from the usual 'normal' wing on a VG machine.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
I'd think the F-15 would look quite fetching with a cranked arrow delta wing configuration, like the F-16XL.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:19:41 AM »
One concept I am toying with is the idea of an F-15 fitted with a probe & drogue air-to-air refuelling arrangement.  Either for the proposed F-15N or as an option for export versions.
I've been doing a bit of doodling on that for a navalized F-15 (I'm calling it a F-15M since someone took the F-15N designation on another board for a VG navalized F-15) and it looks like I could handily replace the flying boom receptacle with a probe & drogue set-up that would use much the same real estate.  Contra-wise, I've found enough now to reverse that for a F-14 for USAF use.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:37:02 AM »
I've been doing a bit of doodling on that for a navalized F-15 (I'm calling it a F-15M since someone took the F-15N designation on another board for a VG navalized F-15) and it looks like I could handily replace the flying boom receptacle with a probe & drogue set-up that would use much the same real estate.  Contra-wise, I've found enough now to reverse that for a F-14 for USAF use.

I've been contemplating the very same set-up for my AV-19 build Evan,  seeing as the Marines favour that type of refueling system.  I had wondered if the probe would be too far back though, or is there something that would extend the probe far enough forward to be seen easily from the cockpit.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:45:04 AM »
I don't think you can extend it forward enough and have it fit the available "real estate".  My F-15M was going to be a two-seater and the GIB could help with watching the probe and drogue.  In your case, would the probe be that much farther aft than it is on the current Harrier?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 05:48:55 AM »
The discussion with production F-17 makes me wonder about one thing- did GE compete for the engine to be used by the F-15?  If they did, what engine did they enter the competition with?

I believe the naval version of the GE engine in the original competition was the F400 but I'm not totally certain (it *has* been some 40 years after all).  I know P&W competed in the B-1 competition with an engine with the internal designation JTF20 and the F100/F401 family was the JTF22 but I don't know the GE designations any closer.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »
I don't think you can extend it forward enough and have it fit the available "real estate".  My F-15M was going to be a two-seater and the GIB could help with watching the probe and drogue.  In your case, would the probe be that much farther aft than it is on the current Harrier?

Considering that my AV-19 is heavily influenced by the F-15, I had done a lot of viewing of F-15 pic's, the seat position in the AV-19 is a bit closer to the wing root fairing of an F-15, but then I moved the wing root back a bit on the AV-19 so looks about the same distance to where the recepticule is.  I think though we could have some sort of extender working in the probe mechanism but I was really wondering just how much.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:03:22 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »
A telescoping front end, with a mechanism that extends it when the probe is extended would work.  As I remember, the inflight refueling probes on various rotary-winged platforms are actuated forward for refueling to get the drogue farther away from the rotor disk so there might be something there.  I don't think I'd want to use too many extensions, though, as I'd be concerned about structural integrity if there were too many sections.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
Sometime in midst of F-22 and F-35 budget issues I read that Boeing proposed a USAF "F-15 on steriods" as the article said.  A lower cost yet high performance alternative or suplement to the others.  What I read did not give specifics.
Bill

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
A telescoping front end, with a mechanism that extends it when the probe is extended would work.  As I remember, the inflight refueling probes on various rotary-winged platforms are actuated forward for refueling to get the drogue farther away from the rotor disk so there might be something there.  I don't think I'd want to use too many extensions, though, as I'd be concerned about structural integrity if there were too many sections.

I was thinking of doing a set up similar to either the Tornado (my preferred):

Or F-18:

Or telescoped helicopter wise from the existing refueling port.

Either way, the need would be to get the probe in the pilot's eye sight.  Obviously for the first two options, it would need to be on the same side as the real world point to aid simplicity of piping etc.

Regards,

Greg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:55:18 PM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
Don't ignore or overlook the refueling probe attached to a fuel tank.  There are several variations on that theme including one that has a telescoping probe that is stowed in the fuel tank when not in use.  I downloaded a couple of images of one that was based on the fuel tank used on the F-16. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Don't ignore or overlook the refueling probe attached to a fuel tank.  There are several variations on that theme including one that has a telescoping probe that is stowed in the fuel tank when not in use.  I downloaded a couple of images of one that was based on the fuel tank used on the F-16.

That would be this one:

I did consider, but it isn't as elegant as a aircraft mounted probe.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:26:24 PM by GTX_Admin »

Offline upnorth

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
With regard to the IFR probe, I'd bypass the telescoping aspect completely and go for a shorter swing out probe like you see on the Sepecat Jaguar:

net photo

Or F-105

net photo

I don't really see a reason to put any more hydraulics than are really required into it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
My initial plan was to use the existing refueling position of the F-15 but then I thought the probe would be 'out-of-view'.  Using an F-18 set-up was considered but the way I've positioned the cockpit (right where the gun would be) sort of nulified that, but I like that Jaguar set up Upnorth posted, that would work for my project.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 02:20:23 AM »
My initial plan was to use the existing refueling position of the F-15 but then I thought the probe would be 'out-of-view'.

Same here.  The reason I am tending towards the Tornado style is that it also makes it more obvious that this is a later add-on.

Offline upnorth

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
If you want the probe tucked away, but still see some evidence of it, have you considered the set ups of the Su-24 and Su-27 IFR probes?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
Good ideas Upnorth  :) but I think I want to keep the solution more towards a McD one or at the very least, Western World.

The Jaguar system would work very well, but I think I'll try moving the F-18 probe opening around and down the side under the windshield edge first.  I think there's enough room there.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:31:16 AM »
If you want the probe tucked away, but still see some evidence of it, have you considered the set ups of the Su-24 and Su-27 IFR probes?

Yep another valid option:

I think I am going to go with the Tornado style for now put maybe also have the stander boon receptacle left there - theory being that both options are able to be accommodated...

Offline upnorth

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »

I think I am going to go with the Tornado style for now put maybe also have the stander boon receptacle left there - theory being that both options are able to be accommodated...

Hey, why not? It worked for the Thud.  :)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
Does it need to be retractable? If it doesn't have to be, you could go for a fixed probe à la Mirage F.1 or 2000. Or maybe even a bolt-on affair like the probe the Israelis used on their F-4s?

Something different:
THIS PRESENTATION for the Singapore Airshow 2012 was linked to in a thread on ARC. Looks like they intend to use weapon stations 1 and 9, the outboard stations under the wings, again. IIRC, these were always there, but there hasn't been any need for them yet.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »
If you really wanted a simple adaptation, how about a probe assembly that's fixed to the airframe and fits into the existing boom connection?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
Maybe something akin to the EE Lightning's probe?