Author Topic: People's Republic of China in Manchuria (and ONLY Manchuria)  (Read 5829 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
People's Republic of China in Manchuria (and ONLY Manchuria)
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
Alrighty...... I will attempt to flesh out that little background story I mentioned in the beginning of my mental note thread......

Expect the process to start somewhere next week.  I'm not that meticulous compared to other more-experienced storytellers here.

For some thoughts right now though...... I wish Nationalist generals that went into Manchuria in late '40s were all flown in.  That way it might be easier to take some important screwjobs out of the picture......
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Re: People's Republic of China in Manchuria (and ONLY Manchuria)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
Sorry for not fulfilling promises once again...... time management proved difficult when your realty broker isn't up to the job......

And Canadian health care sucks not because it's a public system; it sucks because the hospitals' time management sucks, too.  :(

In any case, something to go with this alt.-universe.  Still working towards the first milestone in doing a timeline......

==========================================================

Large cruiser Zhen Hai (鎮海) was a result of an over-ambitious five-year naval reinforcement plan in 1934.  As it turned out, it would be based on a flight deck cruiser design created in the US both to serve as the flagship of the new Chinese Navy and to provide scouting capability to the fleet.  The eventual requirement of outgunning treaty heavy cruisers, however, led to the main gun batteries being changed to 12"/L50 Mk 7 in three two-gun turrets although the secondary armament of eight single 5"/L25 AA guns in the original design were retained, plus a number of 13.2mm Hotchkiss machineguns.  The 24-plane airwing initially consisted of Grumman Model G-13 (developed from XSF-2 but ultimately ended up being a scout version of F2F) two-seat scout/fighter biplanes.

Ordered in 1935 and commissioned in 1939, the fact that Zhen Hai was built in the US means that her construction went smoothly despite the Japanese invasion of China.  Nonetheless, she was unable to return to her homeland and therefore unable to contribute much to the undeclared war as all coastal regions were effectively under Japanese control by the time of her commissioning.  The Chinese Navy managed to resist all domestic and foreign (British) attempts to have them parting with Zhen Hai or the aircraft earmarked for the cruiser, however, with the Americans turning a blind eye on training activities being carried out by the ship and her airwing before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Chinese Navy offered the service of Zhen Hai in support of US operations, hoping that the overseas exploits of a Chinese warship against the vaunted Imperial Japanese Navy would help boosting the morale back home.  But with an obsolete onboard airwing the flight deck cruiser would spend her time until Febuary 1942 patrolling off US West Coast, to free up USN warships for direct actions against the Japanese, without seeing combat.  This is followed by a three-month refit that saw her receiving upgraded fire controls, including radars, and new 5"/L38 in single mounts replacing old AA guns.  The G-13 biplanes were finally replaced at this point as well by former-USN Brewster F2A-2 Buffalo fighters and Vought V-156 Vindicator scout bombers.  She spent her time before Leyte Campaign alternately using her guns and aircraft (both types ended up being employed as dive bombers) to support American marines on the ground, often times fighting alongside USS Jolly Roger, an ex-German passenger liner turned fleet carrier (idea inspired by sequoiaranger's USS Ranger) known for hosting US military's last active biplane scout bomber squadron and their rather eccentric US Marines aircrew.

Zhen Hai would continue to be outfitted with strengthened gears; Hotchkiss machineguns were quickly replaced with Oerlikon 20mm cannons as much for logistical convenience as it was for firepower, 40mm/L60 Borfors (two quad and four twin mounts) and radar-equipped main gun director were installed in 1943, and North American Model NA-97N, a navalized export version of the A-36 Apache (although the Chinese Navy acquired the type as a fighterbomber), replaced the Buffalos in 1944.

==========================================================

I'll try to finish this one ASAP, too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:43:49 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:28:06 AM »
Interesting.  Be cool to see some profiles of the aircraft for this one too.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:36:22 AM »
Very interesting.  Would the NA-97N switch from the Allison to the Merlin?  Or would it stick with the Allison engine and a three-bladed prop?

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
This is interesting

Offline dy031101

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
Guess I haven't done too bad.  ;D  Thanks.

Would the NA-97N switch from the Allison to the Merlin?

Good question.  Would Kamikaze highlight the importance of high-altitude performance?

I'm assuming Jisaburō Ozawa's decoy carriers wouldn't be able to do that.

And ROCAF and ROCN wouldn't encounter serious communist air opposition until ROC's 1950 counter-offensive into Manchuria......
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:17:58 AM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »
That I'm not sure of, but I could see mating the A-36 wing and Allison engine with a P-51B fuselage to take advantage of the improvements and refinements made therein.  The three-inch deeper fuselage would require some new cowl lines but the advantages, and production commonality would be worth it.  That this would allow later replacement of Allisons with Merlins is just a freebie.

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
Any updates coming?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »
Any updates coming?

After a GB-related post, yes.  Canadian health care has finally done pissing me off.  :-X

I posted that hybrid simple because that one has been at a bottleneck for a long time and could use some suggestions; at no time since two weeks ago did it supersede the floaty GB and this thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:07:15 AM by dy031101 »