Author Topic: So i went to B&Q...  (Read 3181 times)

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
So i went to B&Q...
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:22:35 AM »
And found this new masking tape on the market... Thought id give it a try:

A quick test however showed mixed results... :

The upper narrow stripe is my usual tape.. Straight fairly uniform but not perfect... Perfect enough.. The bottom wide stripe however is the Frogtape.. Its leaked although not badly but it has created a distinct "Step" as you can see on the leading edge... Ok so how does it fair on top of other colours ?

Well not well... Plus points it didnt lift any paint off... It did leak badly however and you can see the step in the black just below the leaked line as it looks like an extra panel line...

Im gonna keep trying the stuff and it was still better than "poundshop" beige masking tape however im not impressed by early tests at all...

:(

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: So i went to B&Q...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:39:43 AM »
One trick to help prevent paint from leaking under the tape is to overspray the tape (or the edges) with the same color that you're masking. If any paint leaks under the tape, it'll be the same color and when it dries, it'll block the top color from leaking in.
If you're using acrylics, Future (or Klear) works just as well, and it works well on canopy framing.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:51 AM »
Frogtape and similar products only seal on the edge when in contact with the water in
standard latex paint/emulsion. You may want to try wetting the edges of the tape after
it's been burnished down.

This version of 3m blue painter's tape might be worth a try:
http://www.scotchblue.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BlueBrand/Scotch-Blue/Resources/Edge-Lock-Protector/
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 02:16:28 AM »
Hmm i'll give it a go !