Author Topic: Volvo Ew160c Diorama (not complete)  (Read 5142 times)

Offline tiking

• Under investigation for passing off photos of real vehicles as models
  • Master Weatherer
Volvo Ew160c Diorama (not complete)
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
Ok. Here is where I am with this 'toy conversion'diorama project so far. The results speak for themselves. It is not complete yet. Still have to add more details, boom arm and weathering. This is just to show you all the overall look of the diorama.

The container is from an old project. I re-painted and re-weathered it, and made it to look even more delapidated.

I converted a toy 1/24 scale excavator model,for a diorama I was planning. This particular excavator is a model of the Volvo Ew160c model. There are some things that are a bit off, but in general overall look, it is pretty similar. I wanted to try and modify it to look like a show piece.

I will be adding a figure or two and some accessories. I still have to weather the engine. Will post some photos of that next week. Still need to add the boom arm and small other details that will complete the model. Hope you enjoy the photos so far.

The original toy Model excavator:

The excavator after re-working it:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:04:59 PM by tiking »
Charles
Nothing is incapable beyond what you are capable

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
Re: Volvo Ew160c Diorama (not complete)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 03:27:53 PM »

Charles

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »
Where'd I put those bloody knitting needles, again? :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
Where'd I put those bloody knitting needles, again? :icon_crap:

No problem here.  Know zactly where they are downstairs at the ready.  :icon_crap:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »
I always enjoy seeing builds of construction equipment and yours is outstanding!

Very well done.

Brian da Basher

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
Thank u Basher.
Charles

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
Part 2:

Another update to this diorama, I am still working on. I finally added the boom to the diorama.So far I am liking the whole scene. Did quite a lot of modifications and some scratch building to get it to look descent enough for display.
I painted and modified the engine with some scratch built parts as well. I also added an old truck axle from my previous vignette to this scene. I thought it would add interest, instead of a stand-alone vignette, as it was before.

Added the first hydraulic to the front of the vehicle. It was also detailed with some scratch built parts. I added some hanging cables from the side of the cab to make it look like they are working the internal cables and hydraulics of the machine. Just some added interest.

Started on the first figure for the diorama. Not my best attribute but its a start to making the diorama look lively. Hope you like the progress so far.

Charles

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »
The face on the figure is excellent.

I've never built my own figures from scratch but I have modified a fair number of 1/35 figures to suit my own purposes, it can be very tricky.

** PLEASE NOTE the information supplied below is not a personal attack, it's meant to be constructive criticism to help you improve an admitted weakness **

The right shoulder on your figure is a bit wide; with shirts/coveralls that have a vertical shoulder-sleeve seam the slope of the shoulder joint is a little way in from the seam, so the seam actually hangs down onto the top of the upper arm. The image below gives an idea of what I mean & also shows what creases look like, yours are too few & too smooth;

The wide-shouldered stance is also highly unlikely, below is a more typical stance for a mechanic using a hammer;

Sometimes it just takes putting in the effort to get it right, as you so obviously do with everything else, & a couple of decent reference pictures can't hurt.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:59:29 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »
That's some useful advice, Mr Wombat. When I gave this a glance earlier, I thought that perhaps the gent's overalls were a bit tight but now I know why it seemed that way thanks to your analysis.

Still, that's some great modeling and those tanks remind me of hauling around welding gasses when I worked as a driver. I always checked the safety caps, made sure everything was tied down solid, and that the front of the tank aimed to the back of my van. Just in case...

Brian da Basher

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »
The face on the figure is excellent.

I've never built my own figures from scratch but I have modified a fair number of 1/35 figures to suit my own purposes, it can be very tricky.

** PLEASE NOTE the information supplied below is not a personal attack, it's meant to be constructive criticism to help you improve an admitted weakness **

The right shoulder on your figure is a bit wide; with shirts/coveralls that have a vertical shoulder-sleeve seam the slope of the shoulder joint is a little way in from the seam, so the seam actually hangs down onto the top of the upper arm. The image below gives an idea of what I mean & also shows what creases look like, yours are too few & too smooth;

The wide-shouldered stance is also highly unlikely, below is a more typical stance for a mechanic using a hammer;

Sometimes it just takes putting in the effort to get it right, as you so obviously do with everything else, & a couple of decent reference pictures can't hurt.

Much appreciated. Although, I did not build the figure. I purchased it and painted it. Those tips and photos are good references. Thanks.
Charles

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 05:19:49 AM »
So many great details ... but the 'paint-chipping' on the Volvo logo blew me away!

This is turning into one truly stunning diorama  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
So many great details ... but the 'paint-chipping' on the Volvo logo blew me away!

This is turning into one truly stunning diorama  :smiley:

Thanks for noticing. Appreciate your view.
Charles

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
Another update:

Part 3:

Added the figures and details to the diorama. Unfortunately the figures did not turn out as nice as I would have it. The figures are from Fugimi racing set and they are not the best. The facial feature was a hassle to get right with pretty much no detail expression or lines at all. This made it harder to paint especially with the little skills as a figure painter. But I did my best and the results are better than not having figures on the board. The overall effect is better with figures, so it made sense to include them. Hope you all like the update. Thanks for looking.

Charles

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 09:44:05 PM »
That is superb work. WELL DONE!!!

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 10:28:23 PM »
Thanks Ed.
Charles

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:01 PM »
The figures give a great sense of function & proportion to the form. 8)

If they're not the best, that's Fujimi's fault, not yours. ;) :smiley:

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 04:10:12 AM »
The figures give a great sense of function & proportion to the form. 8)

If they're not the best, that's Fujimi's fault, not yours. ;) :smiley:

Appreciate the support. I'm gonna try and go over the face again.
Charles