Author Topic: Australian Matilda Bunker Buster - Done !  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Australian Matilda Bunker Buster - Done !
« on: January 02, 2021, 01:27:58 PM »
This is actually and idea I had for the Japan 46 GB, but was looking for a cheap ass older Tamiya Matilda, which I never found in time. Plus a deal of procrastination of course. ???

Australians used the Matilda a lot during the Pacific theater, even developing the Frog flame thrower. They were used a lot to winkle out bunker positions.
So my thoughts were, what if as we got closer to the Japanese Homeland, the bunkers became more elaborate and existing methods proved harder to bust the bunkers.
The Petard on the Churchill AVRE proved very successful during the European campaign post D-Day, so why not source a few of those and fit into the existing Matilda's, thereby not introducing a new type, just modifying existing vehicles.

I ended up getting a new mold Tamiya Matilda and it is terrific. Easy to build and very accurate. I got the Desert version.
Mr Hindsight jumped in later to shout, very loudly, that I should have got the Russian version release as that had the more correct tracks for Australian use, being the heavy tracks.

So here is where we are at, out of the box except for the obvious Petard Mortar fitting from the AFV Club Churchill

Still working a way to load the Mortar as the room at the front does not have the room a Churchill does for the manual loading method. I am loathe to have the driver do it, so I am thinking a hatch may appear next to the driver somewhere maybe at the 1 o'clock or 11 O'clock position, that the loader has to worm up to to load a round into a semi mechanical rammer mechanism.

This will be in a holding pattern for a while until some stuff arrives from Firestorm, such as the Australian Matilda Mods (heavy front Mudguards, turret splash fitting etc) and some appropriate decals. And of course.. the Bronco heavy track set that Mr Hindsight is still sitting on my shoulder being smarmy about. ;)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:25:47 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Australian Matilda Bunker Buster
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 01:24:26 AM »
Interesting
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:25:29 PM »
So... where was I ?
Oh yes waiting for stuff.
I got the Bronco heavy tracks and was looking at some pictures of Australian Matilda's for track direction and noticed some anomalies to the Tamiya Matilida I was building
The Australian versions, were the later build, with the Heavy Tracks, but more importantly, Hinges on the track guards and the solid pannier covers

So now MR AMS kicked in, much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth led to my head near exploding and I bought the Russian release, which has all these features.
Mr Hindsight was by now ROTFL

I mentioned it is a great kit, had it together again in short order. Tamiya just make stuff that works and fits.

Then test fitted the Firestorm Australian Matilda mods. Next will be a couple of small changes around loading the petard then promptly to the paintshop.
Or Not. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:28:02 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 03:29:22 AM »
Good call on switching to the Russian version. This is looking great  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 10:53:42 AM »
Looks great!

As a side note warhammer 40k would be proud!😊
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 07:27:19 PM »
And we're back. A few tweaks and fit the aussiefication gear.

added most of the Firestorm conversion, plus left over tracks as fitted applique armour

This how I figure the Dustbin Bombs can be loaded.
The Turret traversed to a set point at about 2 o'clock. The loader puts a bomb into a vertical loading tube, once the barrel is moved to its open position, the top lid rotates around and the
round is lifted up using some sort of clever mechanism. The round locks in, hatch shuts and the barrel is then returned to the locked position and back in business. ;)

Marsden Mat/PSP that was fitted commonly on Aussie Matilda's as an Anti Grenade/mine measure. Also changed the wireless Antenna to a more appropriate version.

Another General more above shot

A couple of small tweaks to go and then ready to paint.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:38 AM »
As always, wonderfully executed.

However, the Flying Dustbin was a 40lb projectile
https://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/183924013714/devastating-it-wasnt-a-shell-which-explodes-and

Having slung 45lb 105mm HEAT rounds when I was a kid, lifting one over my head from a seated position seems daunting in retrospect.

*IF* I was the TC, I could see loading at the last covered-and-concealed position short of the target; spin the turret around til it's over the back deck, have the loader jump out and do his thing. Orient the turret front, move out and have the wing tank provide suppressive fire with the 2lb and BESA.

Fire Petard, pop those smoke dischargers and fall back to reload.

Maybe even have someone refill the smoke bombs with White Phosphorous.

PS - had to look it up. Precedence exists.

The Matilda Squadron HQ had two 3" CS variants along with a standard Matilda.  For a deliberate assault, it'd be simple to attach one or both Dustbin Matildas to one of the Troops.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/portals/0/all_images/Frontpage/Community/MatildaArmouredSquadron-card2.jpg
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:23:06 AM by Story »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 06:25:26 PM »
Thanks Team.

Can nail this one shut now.
Fairly generic Australian Matilda markings from an Echelon set. Firestorm Australian Crew

Have to bust out something else now

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
Re: Australian Matilda Bunker Buster - Done !
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 10:41:21 PM »
The highest complement I can muster - that looks real.

Also, nice touch with the Marston matting - allows the engine to breath (overheating being endemic with British design tanks, from what I've read).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:44:38 PM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 03:37:45 AM »
The tank is a great concept. The weathering is outstanding!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 03:44:33 AM »
One of your best efforts yet!  The weathering gives the impression of just having been through a nice heavy rainfall and all of the dust has been washed away.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »
Excellent built, BT! I agree with Story, it does look more like a "was" than a "whif"! :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 07:47:56 AM »
Excellent build nice subtle weathering, it's a winner !!

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............