Author Topic: Meng 1/35 pickup (1999-ish Toyota HiLux or Tacoma)  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Meng 1/35 pickup (1999-ish Toyota HiLux or Tacoma)
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:43:41 AM »
This model all but builds itself! Beautifully engineered, it goes together quickly and construction is in small, logical steps. It's a vacation compared to the job of putting together the Bronco Gaz-69A. This model could easily - and enjoyably - be built in a weekend (sans the ZPU-1 gun).

Here's most of the interior:

I fixed the solvent drop on the back seat.

I was going to paint it, but I'll leave it in plain white plastic and scruff that up. I've started by using War Pigs black, gray and brown washes on it. The crosshatch on the cabin roof is a shadow from the screen door:

Most of the sub-assemblies are just tacked or press-fit on. The cab clicks into place, so I'm not even going to glue it down. The hood  and tires are loose and so is the rear bed section (hence the gap):

The cab window area is a separate piece, making painting the trim a breeze. The only minor construction issues so far have been the cab's separate rear window (which took some sanding to fit) and the plastic bar that allows the front wheels to be steered. The bar kept popping off, so I used a piece of tape, superglued and painted black, to hold it down.
I've heard that the ZPU-1 gun is fiddly, but I'm not going to use it on this build. I'll build something like this:

Only with a M240 or a M2.

I may call it  "Excession* Risk Management"

*"the kind of problem "most civilizations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Meng 1/35 pickup (1999-ish Toyota HiLux or Tacoma)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:58 AM »
Looking good! 

I have seen some images on-line of similar vehicles that have had a hole cut in the cab to accommodate a cupola with machine gun, not sure if it was photo-shop or real but it did make me wonder how the body would hold up with something like that fitted in the roof over the rear seats. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
I finally finished this one - no issues at all with the kit; work just got in the way of fun. Highly recommended kit if you just want a quick "palate cleanser" before moving on to a complicated or annoying kit.

I left it in bare plastic:

I printed out the windshield wiper paths on paper, moistened the paper and placed it on the windshield before I sprayed the matte. The result is a dirty windshield that has been cleaned.

The M-60 is from a Trumpeter add-on kit. I just noticed that I forgot to add a small length of ammo.
I scratchbuilt the chair years ago; the box came from a pile of kit parts I got a while back. The smoke grenade launcher is from the AFV Club M151 protector kit.

The trim and the "Black Wing" logo are from decals I made. I measured the trim width on the kit, then made several long decals that were just a tad wider (the trim area is curved). The logo is a picture of a hawk that I traced and filled in with black. I had "Black Wing Services" but it was just too tall for the door.

The Toyota on the back is another decal that I made.:

Thanks for looking!

Frank

The back isn't yellow - it's just sunlight shining through the plastic.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
Very realistic!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:29 AM »
Lovely work !!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:23 AM »
That is so cool!  :D Not one I see everyday!!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »
Thanks guys. I noticed that I have to add a Toyota logo to the front grill.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
I thought that was on purpose ? Badges always fall off in war situations.. lol

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:10:20 AM »
Wow that's impressive, Frank! You really have a knack for making vehicles look like they've seen action and then some!

I bet if you took this to a model show, you'd completely walk away with 1st place!

Brian da Basher