Author Topic: Soviet/Russian Tank and derivatives Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 146852 times)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
Re: Soviet/Russian Tank and derivatives Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
Accurate Armour do a 1/35 T-44 kit - see here

I have one that I want to do as part of a diorama.  The idea is for WWIII in the late'40s/early '50s (maybe even as an outgrowth of Korea) with the tank displayed in a Berlin setting against some sort of allied tank ( any suggestions?)

Thanks for the T-44 info. :)

Maybe have it face off an M46? Or a Centurion?
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 06:30:14 AM »
They were options but I was tending towards something more exotic/odder...just don't know what yet.  Maybe an updated E-100 or Conqueror tank (bit early I know) or Tortoise Superheavy Tank or Caernarvon tank...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeremak

• Couch mastermind
  • One-person Alternate History Liberation Front
    • My DA: profiles respository, and more...
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
I have a question: how would stand Object 279 fuselage as a mine/IED-proof vehicle in modern, Afghanistan-like environment? For me it looks pretty thought for withstanding explosion underneath it and saving crew. Only issue may be complex tracks system.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
I have a question: how would stand Object 279 fuselage as a mine/IED-proof vehicle in modern, Afghanistan-like environment? For me it looks pretty thought for withstanding explosion underneath it and saving crew. Only issue may be complex tracks system.

A copper shaped charge would probably penetrate into the tank if it used 1950s steel; modern metals and ceramics would be an improvement. The hull shape could deflect much of a blast from directly below or from the side. The tracks may help by absorbing some of the blast (and hurt by producing lots of steel shrapnel)  but the tank would probably be immobilized.

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
I have one that I want to do as part of a diorama.  The idea is for WWIII in the late'40s/early '50s (maybe even as an outgrowth of Korea) with the tank displayed in a Berlin setting against some sort of allied tank ( any suggestions?)

I’ve had some ideas before about something similar along the lines of the “Unthinkable War” breaking out between the western Allies with de-Nazified Germany and the Soviet Union allied with Japan in mid 1945. Personally I think the Soviets would be pounded but it would take a few years. But for a diorama:

British Tank: Prototype Centurion with the 20mm Polsten would look good also an upgraded Comet tank with plates of sloped armour welded to the hull front and mantlet? Plus of course the Tortise and Conqueror. To make the later look more in place for the 1940s you could replace the 120mm with the 20 Pounder and the commander’s mini turret with the cupola from a Centurion.

British Infantry: British WWII infantry armed with EM-2 7mm rifles or if you want to be super 1948ish accurate some kind of magazine feed wooden stock rifle (can’t remember what it was called), the EM-1 Korsac (7.92mm) or if they are allied with the Germans one of their 7.92x33mm assault rifles. You could even jazz them up with some kind of ex German camouflage smocks.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 04:22:42 AM »

British Tank: Prototype Centurion with the 20mm Polsten would look good also an upgraded Comet tank with plates of sloped armour welded to the hull front and mantlet?

British Infantry: British WWII infantry armed with EM-2 7mm rifles or if you want to be super 1948ish accurate some kind of magazine feed wooden stock rifle (can’t remember what it was called), the EM-1 Korsac (7.92mm) or if they are allied with the Germans one of their 7.92x33mm assault rifles. You could even jazz them up with some kind of ex German camouflage smocks.

I'm liking your thinking. :)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
I believe it's called Object 115.

Looks like a modernised T-28 idea....... again needs a 85mm or 95mm gun IMO.  >:D

And it could use more of a slope for the glacis armour......
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:01:33 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:06 AM »
New Soviet Russian Tank ;)Article

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »
ooooohhhhh, that is sweet lookin!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
Tank-EX, Indian development by combining Arjun turret with T-72 hull.

I still kinda feel that it was a pretty good idea for India, but oh well......
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
A few interesting soviet thingies from my collection .....

The "Koalitcia-SV" 2S19 152x2 SPG

WZT-SU Armoured Recovery Vehicle

ZSU23 "Junker"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 01:14:16 AM »
Tank-EX, Indian development by combining Arjun turret with T-72 hull.

I still kinda feel that it was a pretty good idea for India, but oh well......

It looks top-heavy with that massive turret. Now I'm thinking of some samosas and pakoras and a cold Kingfisher for lunch...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 02:56:26 AM »
I have long liked the look of the TOS-1:

TOS-1- Buratino : ( Heavy Flamethrower System )

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:42 AM »
Random idea:

I seem to recall that in the early days of their existence, there was a chance that Israel would be backed by the USSR rather then the west.  Therefore, what if this happened and every kibbutz had their own T-34?

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »
Random idea:
I seem to recall that in the early days of their existence, there was a chance that Israel would be backed by the USSR rather then the west.  Therefore, what if this happened and every kibbutz had their own T-34?

thanks to Egypt & Syria, they pretty much do now ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »
A T34-85 in this scheme would look cool:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:51 AM »
Random idea:  The Achzarit APC is an Israeli heavily armored armored personnel carrier based upon captured T-54/T-55 hulls. 

What if the Soviets had developed this themselves though?  Imagine the disconcertion in the west to see a bunch of these rumbling along during a May day parade in their parade best:

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »
What if the Soviets had developed this themselves though?  Imagine the disconcertion in the west to see a bunch of these rumbling along during a May day parade

They have designed one but due to finances only a small batch has been produced.

What was originally the BTR-T (T-62 chassis), is now called the BMP-T (T-72 chassis).
BTR-T is now the Russian "Achzarit" type vehicle.  The BMO-T is a similar vehicle with a different front layout - both are on T-72 chassis.

The Russian BMR-3M (T-72 chassis) is similar to the IDF's Nakpadon/Puma -- all "BMR"s are engineer vehicles.

Models below made by Steve Zaloga .... there are very few photos of the real vehicles :(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:30:29 PM by raafif »

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
I'm actually tempted to do a Temsah conversion on a T-54.  Much more sensible than the Achzarit IMHO.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 01:50:41 AM »
Some images available of the BMO-T and BTR-T at this link: ------> JED Site - T-72 Family of Vehicles

Caveat Emptor!: Access to the JED Site is hit or miss.  Lately it has been no problem accessing the pages but previous experience with this site has shown that what is available today may not be there tomorrow. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 04:09:50 AM »

They have designed one but due to finances only a small batch has been produced.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I meant what if the Soviets produced this back in the '50s/'60s?

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »
There's also the Ladoga (T-80-based) -- to transport 3 people in comfort for 72hrs in any enviroment (chemical, nuclear or gas).  Only a few were built for Polit Bureau members to get them to shelter in the event of a nuclear war.  The prototype was used for recon of the Chernobyl accident site.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 06:45:48 AM »
RV on tracks! 

Excellent! 

Perfect for running down the pesky bunny huggers and tree worshipers that you may encounter during your excursions into the wilderness in search of that last spot on earth that has not been soiled by humans :) 

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:52 AM »

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher