Author Topic: Grumman S-2 Tracker and derivatives  (Read 31038 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Grumman S-2 Tracker and derivatives
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2018, 05:04:52 AM »
However, both the Spitfire and Sea Fury props are the wrong hand, they turn in the opposite way

Depends how one fits the turbine and writes the back story
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
However, both the Spitfire and Sea Fury props are the wrong hand, they turn in the opposite way

Just reverse the propeller blades...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
TPE331 gearbox can be revised to reverse the direction of prop rotation.  Too, if the props you choose come with separate blades, they can be reversed fairly easily.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2018, 11:44:21 PM »
Unless the blade has next to nothing as a chord cross-section profile reversing the blades doesn't do it. I've got a couple of kits which are in the 'stalled' build state at the moment which have that very problem, one is a Henschel Hs P87, an interesting pusher canard aircraft. Only thing is, Planet must have used a wide blade tractor prop to copy and stuck it on the rear end, but the props are facing backwards ---  :-X

Same with the Tradewind I have, the front prop of the contra-prop has the blade chord the right way around, the rear prop blades though are facing backwards ----   :-\

Mind you I did managed to re-twist an Aeroclub white metal Sea Fury prop to an opposite hand one, the blade chord cross-section was about non-existent
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:07:23 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
If I don't mind cutting the blades down (& I don't, really. the squared end look isn't that bad); I could buy either 2 x 5-blade Fury props & 2 x Wyvern props, or I could buy 2 x 4-blade Spit props & 1 x Wyvern prop to get 2 x counter-rotating props by using the blades from the Wyvern's.

I could then, possibly, get rid of the anti-vibration bar from the port tail plane, as I could reverse the rotation of the port propeller to clockwise, thereby eliminating the cause of the vibrations in the tail plane.

Food for thought & budgetary considerations. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2018, 01:56:59 AM »
Another, different thought:  Give the Tracker an upper turret and maybe a solid nose with guns and make it an AS-2 for use in ground attack (perhaps anti Ho Chi Minh Trail over Vietnam in similar scheme to the Invader shown below?).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:00:06 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:22 AM »
I can’t get the idea out of my head. What would an S-2 fuselage look like combined with V-22 wings and engines? Maybe a COIN version taken to the n’th degree? Just thinking off the top of my head here.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
FWIW, the hole for the retractable radome is large enough to hold the Sperry type ball turret from the B-24 and B-17.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
Another, different thought:  Give the Tracker an upper turret and maybe a solid nose with guns and make it an AS-2 for use in ground attack (perhaps anti Ho Chi Minh Trail over Vietnam in similar scheme to the Invader shown below?).
Well there was supposed to be an AS-2D (minus the turret and gun nose) to fulfill the USAF Shed Light/SCNA requirement, used for night time interdiction on the Trail ;)

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »
Well there was supposed to be an AS-2D (minus the turret and gun nose) to fulfill the USAF Shed Light/SCNA requirement, used for night time interdiction on the Trail ;)
For night interdiction, a turret is less useful, especially if the nose is full of guns and you're not pulling pylon turns. On the other hand, that lovely radome spot is perfect for a bunch of trainable sensors such as a FLIR ball with paired laser designator or LLTV. The AS-2 could pick up the targets, vector in and away, make more passes without ever losing sensor lock on the target. The weapons bay has to be large enough for some of the smaller precision guided weapons and the wings have stations for rocket pods and the like. Remove the sonobuoy stowage in one nacelle and add fuel, use the other sonobuoy stowage for illumination flares. Pilot, co-pilot, sensor operator and a weapons operator. Add flame dampers to the exhausts and you have a nice, neat, little night interdiction package.

Paul

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »
A tilt wing like the OV-1 based Design 134E.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »
Jon - you found a real gem with this one.  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2022, 01:39:40 AM »
Does anyone know of a 1/48 C-1 Trader kit or conversion?

I'm liking the idea of a civilian version.  Possibly either a small passenger transport or a freight hauler or even a skydiving version.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2024, 12:49:04 PM »
What Greg said.  :smiley:

kwyxdxLg5T