Author Topic: Thor  (Read 19738 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Thor
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:32:23 AM »
Sorry I have not posted anything before now but work has been hectic to say the least.

Anyway, my entry for the "Beyond 46" build will hopefully breathe some new life into this old, and somewhat knackered, Tiger I.  Early days yet, but I have already started slapping bits of plastic card together...  ;)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:39:11 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: Thor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »
Nice Tiger man!  Can you explain how its different for those of us not versed in the realm of armor?  :)  Is this another of your scratch builds or is it a kit?
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
I can't wait to see what you've got planned !!!!!!   I just love seeing your work ...
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »
Nice Tiger man!  Can you explain how its different for those of us not versed in the realm of armor?  :)  Is this another of your scratch builds or is it a kit?

This is just the base model that I am going to use for my conversion.  It's an early Tamiya kit that I built about 25 years ago.  It, and the diorama it was sitting in, has been slowly but surely becoming one with the rest of the junk in my garage protected only by the packing crate it has been in for the past 10-12 years.  Time for a change!

I can't wait to see what you've got planned !!!!!!   I just love seeing your work ...

Thank you very much.  I hope I don't disappoint.

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:22:12 AM »
Ahhhh..I see!!!  I'll have to echo Father Ennis' comments then.  Can't wait man  :)  Care to give us a hint?

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

Offline Claymore

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
Rockets! Lots of big, nasty rockets.  ;)

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:16:38 AM »
Excellent!!!

*Read in Mr. Burns' voice*

Offline Claymore

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »
Dang! I keep forgetting to take pictures of the work in progress.  So sorry for the lack of shots showing the construction of the launcher box. It has been constructed from 1mm plastic (styrene) card. Pretty much a box with a couple of strengthening bulkheads and the edges angled off. There are also a couple of large plates underneath (good for rigidity) and some finer detailing.

The difficult bit was making the front of the launcher as the rockets sit slightly recessed in their launch tubes. This plate is made from 6mm thick hardwood I found in my garage, cut to size and with 24 x 6mm holes drilled into it. There is only 2mm between each hole and this was achieved with a hand-held power drill! (all fingers and both legs accounted for!!). The front plate was then backed with some more plastic card and the whole thing mounted into the launcher box.

The rear plate is the converse of the front in that the missile tubes stick out slightly from the plate that is recessed. This is made from a piece of 1mm plastic card with 24 x 3mm long pieces of 6mm dowel stuck on to it. not quite as bad as the Wellesley's rivets but started to bring back some painful memories.  :))

The stub turret, as you can see it made up from 8 x decreasing circles of 1mm plastic card. This quite excessive in plastic card but I could not think of any easier way of making a conical turret (sanding still in progress). The sub turret will eventually incorporate the mounting for the launcher and the hydraulic elevation ram(s) - not sure how many as the images I have of the TOS-1 shows anywhere between 1 and 3!

I have not started on the hull of the Tiger but some modifications will be needed as I want to build on 2 x large hydraulic pad feet at the back. This provided both stability when firing and protects the rear suspension when the launcher elevates. The Tiger's air filter will therefore, have to go. I think I will have them built into the main engine bay a bit like the Panther - a bit of late war/1946 handwavium!  ;)

I'm going to see if I can make the launcher and pads moveable so that I can show the Thor in travel and firing configurations (only cos' I can't decide on which way to go for the finished model).  :-\

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:48:53 AM by Claymore »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
Looking good  :)  And nice effect on the rotating plate. Are you going to leave some evidence of the separate discs? When I first saw it, I thought of crude machine marks -- quite appropriate to that point in the war.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »
Looks interesting :) :D

Offline father ennis

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
 :)
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »
Thanks chaps,

All very early days yet and the turret still need much work.  So hopefully all signs of the discs will be covered up.  I will develop and post a full background story when the model is done but as this is 1946, the Germans have obviously fared better than they did IOTL.   ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »
Now that the T-34MLA is complete, I will be able to give the Thor my full attention.

I've stripped back the rear of the Tiger as there will need to be a bit of rearranging to protect the exhausts from the rocket efflux and to clear some space for the stabilising jacks. The conical stub turret has been smoothed off and is ready now for the rest of the launcher supporting framework, hatches and sights/vision blocks to be added (once built!).

Dismantling a +20 year old kit is very odd and not just a little dangerous. The glue is strong but brittle at the same time so when trying to remove individual components they hold on for grim death then explode off in a shower of vaporised glue crystals. Of course each bit, and especially the small bits, eagerly hurl themselves off into the waiting clutches of the singularity carpet from which nothing, not even entire turrets, ever return!

So here we are...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:49:25 AM by Claymore »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 04:58:31 AM »
Just to keep you updated with the progress of the Thor. I have temporarily fitted the parts together to give you an idea of where things are going. I still need to fit the hinge system at the rear of the launcher, the hydraulic rams and detail the launcher and turret. I also still need to fit out the rear stabiliser hydraulic jacks.

A lot of the components have been made from layered plastic card, so lots of repetitive cutting, gluing, sanding, filling and more sanding...  :(

I'm not entirely sure of the physics but the whole launcher turntable thing looks like it should be tail heavy (especially when elevated) but, strangely, it isn't - in fact it is almost perfectly balanced. Weird!  Not that I'm complaining!  ;)

Getting there...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:43:06 AM by Claymore »

Offline father ennis

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
Damn fine looking,there ,my friend ......

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
lookin' good :)  I like the horizontal mufflers at the back (a very late-war thing applied to KingTigers & Panthers as well as the latest Leopard-2 ;) ).

Offline Claymore

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »
Thank you chaps, much appreciated.  :)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 06:10:11 AM »
The turret is now complete, the launcher attached and the housings for the rear stabiliser jacks are in place.  I still have to build the elevation rams and the stabiliser jacks themselves and complete the detailing on the launcher. Hence why the whole thing is currently sitting in its travel/zero elevation position. It will all look a lot better with a lick of paint - hopefully!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:49:59 AM by Claymore »

Offline father ennis

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »
That is looking incredible,my friend ... !!!!!!    You are doing an outstanding job !

Offline Claymore

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:02 AM »
Thank you good sir.

Offline billb

• The man knows how to make an entrance...
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
Nice work!
esp drilling all those ruddy holes in line.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
Nice work!
esp drilling all those ruddy holes in line.

Thanks and welcome.  Yes, the first attempt only got as far as hole #7 before the drill decided to do its own thing!  :o

Offline Claymore

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 05:26:36 AM »
Just about all of the build is now done save for some 3D rivets and perhaps the hint of some missile nose-cones.

Painting next. I tend to use a light grey primer first as this is good for highlighting areas that might need a little bit of extra filling and sanding. Then the whole thing gets a pre-shade of matt black and that is then followed by whatever camo job I decide to go with. Decals, varnish and weathering all to follow and hopefully, I have one more to add to the collection.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:50:29 AM by Claymore »

Offline father ennis

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »
Coming along fantastically !!!!!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
Coming along fantastically !!!!!

Thank you good sir.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
 Looks mighty good. I like the re-orientation of the mufflers and the stabilizing jacks.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 04:55:22 AM »
Much appreciated.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 04:56:12 AM »
With the primer coat applied the whole thing is coming together nicely...

Offline father ennis

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Sweet ... !!!!!!!      :-* :-* :-*

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
Top notch modeling!! :) ;) :D

Offline Claymore

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
Most kind.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:40 AM »
Thor Update

Finally managed to make the time to get down to my local golf shop where the pro, a chap I went to school with, was more than a little surprised that I was buying a bag of tees given that he knows I don't play. When I said it had to do with rockets, he nodded sagely and said, "Say no more". I looked at him and he looked back at me - both of us trying to figure out if the other had just gone mad. Perhaps he was remembering our childhood where we spend many a weekend mixing various weed killers and accelerants to launch various things into low earth orbit. Or perhaps he was hoping to detain me long enough to call in the men in white coats!

Anywho, the Thor is at last complete and I hope to get it fully painted this weekend. I must say that, mechanically, the Thor is probably the most realistic looking conversion so far - probably because it is based on an actual weapon system. Photos to follow once painted.

Edit:  I've just realised that you may think I've flipped out.  The golf tees are to be cannibalised to make the rocket nose cones.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:43:06 AM by Claymore »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 04:03:17 AM »
No need to explain to us...we understand perfectly.  Others don't but who cares... ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
Thor Update

Edit:  I've just realised that you may think I've flipped out.  The golf tees are to be cannibalised to make the rocket nose cones.  ;)

... and cheaper than knitting needles ;)

Looking forward to the final result

Offline Claymore

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:07 AM »
The Thor is finished.  The backstory and more photos appear in the completed models section but here are a couple to whet your appetite. I wish my photography was better as the depth of colour and weathering never seems to come out as it actually appears.  Ah well, you can't have everything I guess...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 12:52:58 AM by Claymore »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »
Well done! A tough customer from every angle!

The camo is especially sweet and the red numbers a perfect choice!

Brian da Basher

Offline Claymore

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »
Thanks much appreciated

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:33 AM »
Thor looks very imposing in his warpaint  :)  Now wasn't that more fun than chasing a little white ball around out in the (ugh!) fresh air  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
Very true, very true.  ;D

Offline father ennis

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:51 AM »
Where are all the golf tees ????  Are they missiles in the launcher ????  You.didn't post a view that shows if it is even loaded.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
There are a couple of shots on the finished model page (the launcher raised) that show the tips of the golf tees come rockets.  They sit quite far back in the launch tubes so you don't see that much of them but without anything the launcher would have looked empty. Each one is only about the last 4mm of the tee!

But, just because it's you...  ;)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:37:27 PM by Claymore »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 04:53:53 AM »
probably too late now but can you show one missile exiting the launcher-box as if being fired ?  ....... or just put a tee on a loading trolley beside it ? ;D

Offline Claymore

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »
probably too late now but can you show one missile exiting the launcher-box as if being fired ?  ....... or just put a tee on a loading trolley beside it ? ;D

I'm on my summer holiday break on the Greek island of Zante/Zakinthos at the moment so kit bashing is on hold for the time being. I only used the last 4mm of the golf tee to represent the nose cone of the rocket. At 1/35 scale, the rocket would be 10cm long and 6mm wide - a bit bigger than the average golf tee!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:10:07 PM by Claymore »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2013, 05:58:55 AM »
no excuse !!  I'm sure they have golf courses / golf shops there ...... combine two or three or four tees ....... or are you on a holiday from modelling ??? :D

Offline Claymore

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
no excuse !!  I'm sure they have golf courses / golf shops there ...... combine two or three or four tees ....... or are you on a holiday from modelling ??? :D

;D Sir, yes Sir!  ;D