Author Topic: Erryplanes by perttime  (Read 73615 times)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Erryplanes by perttime
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
People have been asking me to join - so, here goes.
I started making some airplane mutations in 2012 and many have probably seen them elsewhere. The markings on the drawings may make it pretty obvious what part of the world I'm from.

Where to start? The older stuff ... I'll put in the modern(ish) jets before going back to my alternative WW2.
The first ones are mainly butchered in MS Paint, until I figured out some of the features of Inkscape  :o

Offline perttime

Re: Erryplanes by perttime - F-16XS
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
In a split Finland - with some of the new countries perhaps no larger than Holland or Belgium - aircraft for defence were built out of whatever parts could be salvaged from other countries retired equipment. In Häme, parts of Euro F-16s were used:

A little later, canards were added for smoother maneuvering:

Offline perttime

Re: Erryplanes by perttime - F-18XS "Hornette"
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
In Satakunta, the farm boys bolted their interceptors together out of old Hornet parts.

F-18XS "Hornette" of the Air Bears display team, in "emphasized bar code camo":

Later, the Hornette was developed into the "F-18XSM Super Hornette", with canards and some stealth features:

Offline perttime

Re: Erryplanes by perttime - Eurostealth
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
During early 2020s, some air forces around the Baltic were converting to the Eurostealth. Among them was Hemvärnet of the Åland islands.

Offline perttime

Re: Erryplanes by perttime
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
A little further south...
MiG-32 of the Serbian Air Force

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:43:44 AM »
Looking good! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:48:15 AM »
Cool.....

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
Love the concept ... and the 'shortie' F-16 and Hornette  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline perttime

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:53:16 AM »
'shortie' F-16 and Hornette  :)
I like compact aircraft but also think that there might be some practicalities to solve, to make them actually work...

Offline perttime

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 02:04:08 AM »
Back to WW2, then. My FIRST whif picture only requires fairly minor changes to history.

In 1940-1941, a few Soviet designers were working on heavy fighters. One of them was Peter Grushin with his Gr-1. It isn't quite clear to me if it ever flew. The development site in Kharkov, Ukraine, was evacuated out of the way of a German offensive and the aircraft was packed into a train. The train was destroyed in an air raid, and both aircraft and documentation were lost.

What if... the train made it to safety and the Gr-1 turned out to be good?

Certainly, some would be captured and end up in Finnish colors...

(I don't remember which drawing I used for the outline. The colors are borrowed from a Petlyakov PE-2 or PE-3 drawing.)

Offline perttime

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 02:15:47 AM »
One more today, before I get into slightly different developments...

In addition to the aircraft becoming operational, this one assumes that a small nation that was run over by the big boys in real life, stays independent.

Istrebitel Tyazholiy Pushechniy (Истребитель Тяжелый Пушечный): Heavy Cannon Fighter. Polikarpov's development had to be evacuated, and there were problems with the engine. So, when the ITP was finally flying, other high performance designs were already in service.

What if it went into production, and Latvia stayed independent and got some captured Polikarpov ITPs?

(The outline must be from a Russian site. Colors are stolen from a profile of a Latvian Gloster Gladiator.)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »
Damn, that GR-1 looks fast.

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
Like the GR-1 a a lot

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
A lot of goodlooking airplanes

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »
I love Eurostealth and Hornette  ;D
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Last ten or so profiles are giving me wanna build in styrene overload - all are tops  :)
F-16XS-C2 looks like pilot crushing G generator.
Bar code camo is new one on me and it works  :)

Offline perttime

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
Damn, that GR-1 looks fast.
I don't know what sort material exists on the real thing - but the few drawings and models I've seen online make it look pretty nice.

Bar code camo is new one on me and it works  :)
It hurts my eyes enough that it is difficult to look at the airplane. So, there must be something to it  ;D

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »
Nice work....

Offline perttime

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:31 AM »

After German forces were defeated in the Ardennes in summer 1940, things went downhill for Adolf Hitler in a hurry. By the end of 1941, Nazi Germany was no more. All was well in Europe again. Er ... Right? ... Well, not quite ... Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, "Father of Nations", "Brilliant Genius of Humanity", "Gardener of Human Happiness", Stalin, saw some opportunities in the defeat of Nazi Germany. A quick realignment of alliances followed, as it was clear that the Soviet Union was intent on continued expansion. Another war could not reasonably be avoided. With all the resources of western Europe, and some help from USA, it was thought that USSR would soon cease fighting. It turned out not to be quite that easy.

Up North, Finland - with a population of less than 4 million - had been fighting a second war of survival after a short "Interim Peace" against the mighty Soviet Union. Inevitably, some ground had been lost but that started to change in 1942. With new-old friends, the supply of war material was improved.

Valtion Lentokonetehdas (VL) was granted license to build Supermarine's Spitfire. It was already clear that the original Spifire wing was too flexible at high speeds, so VL went right from the start with a new wing design for their Griffon engined Spitfires. First into production was a short winged model with a single-stage supercharged Griffon. Just the thing for fighting off the swarms of IL-2 "agricultural machines".

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »
 :)

I like the basic scenario too...might need to play with that one if you don't mind.

Offline perttime

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »
I like the basic scenario too...might need to play with that one if you don't mind.
It isn't totally original... If you do something with it, I'll be interested to see where you take it.
I got the idea from a Science Fiction book where there was a parallel "fake" Earth. There, German defeat in the Ardennes had simply lead to peace.

I had a need for a Northern development where Finland becomes pretty big. While I'm not totally pleased with the outcome, I'll stick with it for the time being. I'll post it now, to get it out of the way:
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

By 1946, it was clear that "The Russians" actually had to be beaten on their own ground. It took some time....

... Most Finns would have been happy to get back the ground that they had lost, although there were those who also wanted the rest of Karelia, to create a Greater Finland (Suursuomi). Going for the Urals was stuff for morale raising songs such as "Uraliin" by Teijo Joutsela ja Humppa-Veikot:
"Uraliin" by Teijo Joutsela ja Humppa-Veikot
As it turned out, all of the Soviet Union needed to be occupied to some degree, and southern Nations were not all that eager to take on the West Siberian Plain. By the end of 1952, USSR was occupied, and much of the North was held by troops consisting of recently recruited indigenous troops under Finnish command.

Once the fighting was over, the next problem was what to do with all the land and the various peoples living on it. With the progress of the war, nations further south had already been organised, or reinstated: Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia. The North had been under Russian rule for centuries but could not really be left that way. Russia needed to have well defined borders but the area had to be much smaller than before, to keep it manageable.

The first step in the north was a no-brainer for most: dump the Karelian areas and the Kola Peninsula into Finland's lap. The rest remained a United Nations protectorate until 1967, when talks among the peoples of the area and in the UN General Assembly resolved in the formation of the Finnish Federation, with its capital in Mikkeli, Finland. The new nation consists of the 6 States of Suomi, Karjala, Sámi, Perm, Yugra, and Mordva. In addition, the Nganasan Protectorate even further North East was assigned to the care of the Federation.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:39:37 PM by perttime »

Offline perttime

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:22 AM »
Soon after having put Spitfire Mk.27 into service, The Finnish Air Force and VL came to their senses. They went and redesigned the wing again, along with the landing gear. As the normal and short wings were already in production, it was the long high-altitude wing that was first produced with the new layout with landing gear that retracts in the proper direction.

In addition to a long wing, some adjustments to the two-stage Griffon superchargers were applied to increase performance at high altitudes. Other designers had tried adding a turbocharger to the system but finding a place for all the necessary tubíng and the charger itself would have necessitated a complete redesign of the fuselage too.

... Near smolensk, 1946

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:04 AM »
Sweet!

Offline perttime

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »
A little later, proper landing gear ended up on short wing Spitfires too. This one is Estonian. It served well protecting convoys in the narrow Gulf of Finland, and keeping Soviet mud-movers away from the troops on the ground.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 02:44:29 AM »
I wonder if in this scenario Sweden would get involved?  I am currently reading this book:

One of the most common reasons given by many who joined the SS from the Scandinavian countries (including Sweden) was the Soviet invasion of Finland.  They basically saw Soviet aggression as something that needed to be countered and the Germans were the only option to do this.