Author Topic: Request for Single-engine Northrop P-610 (aka single-engine F-17 Hornet)  (Read 3559 times)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
G'day gents

For decades now, I can not but wonder how history might have been different in one of the biggest, most important and most profitable fighter competitions - the Light Weight Fighter (LWF) / Air Combat Fighter (ACF) program - aka the General Dynamics YF-16 & the Northrop YF-17, had Northrop had done things different!

I have always wondered how and what the production F-17A/B might have looked like - let had it won the USAF/NATO ACF competition, in place of the General Dynamics F-16!

In the many accounts I have read, it is believed that Northrop forfeited being the winner of this lucrative competition, because it had chosen to to run with a two-engine design - based on a new (and non USAF) incompatible engine the General Electric YJ101-100 turbofan, as opposed to the favoured Pratt & Whitney F100 turbofan, which also powered its new premier air superiority fighter and jewel in its crown the McDonnell Douglas F-15A/B Eagle!

Could I please request the forums talent to do some profiles of the actual Northrop single-engine P-610 - a single P&W F100 engine variant of the F-17?
If so and if willing, could I request a single and two-seat variants in USAF colours and markings (as applied to the USAF's F-16's!)
For your time and effort, such a profile could be very diverse in doing them in all the air forces which actually operate the F-16! ;)

As a side note, I can not but imagine how much things would have been different for Northrop had it ran with the single-engine P-610 F-17! It would not have suffered the humiliating undercutting of McDonnell Douglas with its taking control and market share of the navalised F-18 & A-18 (aka F/A-18A/B Hornet) :o

P.S In Real World Terms -
The P-610 design was very similar in layout to that of its two-engine P-600 design submission. But it was thought by some to not be as a refined as its twin-engine cousin. Although Lt. Gen Stewart would state that the P-610 looked as good or better than the twin-engine P-600 design. Northrop understood the single-engine F100 turbofan design would also make sense to the USAF, as it used this engine in its premier fighter, the McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle.
But the status of the P-610 designs completion would soon be sealed with the death of its designer, Northrop Engineer Bill Roth, and with his death the P-610 would never be finished.

M.A.D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:10:06 PM by M.A.D »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Request for Single-engine Northrop P-610 (aka single-engine F-17 Hornet)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
You should try the Western Museum of Flight as I believe they have a lot of Nprthrop's files.  I keep intending to go throught their files regarding what, if anything, Northrop did with their P.1127 and derivatives license.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: Request for Single-engine Northrop P-610 (aka single-engine F-17 Hornet)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
Thanks elmayerle!
I'm envious of you be so close, let alone able to visit and research at the Western Museum of Flight  :P
I don't have such a luxury being in the Great Southern Land! (although visiting all those great aviation museum's you have in the states is on my wishlist of things to do!!

I was not aware that Northrop had the license to build the Hawker Siddeley P.1127  :icon_surprised:

Can you PM me more please????

M.A.D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Eh, I'm not there now.  I was there some years ago (late 1982 through early 1995) but haven't been back there since.  If you look at various early books on the F-18 that have the evolution chart, you can at least get a good top view of the P-610 (I'd scan it at a very high magnification to enlarge what's generally a small item).  I would reckon that a look at the Korean T-50 trainer might give you some feel for the inlets and such (though it's clearly on a smaller scale for the smaller engine).