Author Topic: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86  (Read 41408 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2017, 05:46:38 AM »
That is coming along brilliantly Kitnut  8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2017, 10:48:27 PM »
Thanks mate!

Silver is one of the most difficult colours to paint, it shows up every little scratch, nick and dent so I just don't feel happy with how it looks right now. A bit of PSR is needed in places and then a couple more coats of paint, wet sanded in between of course. I hope to get the finish to look like my Avro Nottingham in the end

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2017, 02:18:29 AM »
Done little bits off and on to the project, mostly gluing on what needs to be glued on and painting ----  I've since revised how the anti-glare panel will be though and tidied up more of the paint work since these photos were taken.
:-* Congratulations for this Sabre-Zwilling marvel :-* :-*

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:16 AM »
Thanks Tophe

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2017, 05:09:32 AM »
Configuration is plausible RW at the time.  Could even have been a design study.
Do like it.  :)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »
Thanks Bill

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
Thanks guys, it's not quite up to snuff yet though, still a bit of work to get it how I want it to look. The anti-glare panel now goes back as far as where the tape that's holding the canopies on and down to the top of the gun bay access panels are. Remember when I was saying the left side of the kit is completely different to the right side earlier in the thread, well while revising the anti-glare panel I found out just how much.

I use various methods.  I use brushed on paint, rattle-can paint, alfoil to get silver finishes.  Invariably I mix all of them and end up with different coloured/finished panels.  Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it isn't.   I understand your problems with getting it right.  I'll have to remember the sanding between coats.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »
Thanks guys, it's not quite up to snuff yet though, still a bit of work to get it how I want it to look. The anti-glare panel now goes back as far as where the tape that's holding the canopies on and down to the top of the gun bay access panels are. Remember when I was saying the left side of the kit is completely different to the right side earlier in the thread, well while revising the anti-glare panel I found out just how much.

I use various methods.  I use brushed on paint, rattle-can paint, alfoil to get silver finishes.  Invariably I mix all of them and end up with different coloured/finished panels.  Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it isn't.   I understand your problems with getting it right.  I'll have to remember the sanding between coats.

With very fine grit paper Brian, 1600 or higher if you can find it. Think I use 2400, I'll have a look when I get back from work

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:07 PM »
I've had a look at the sand paper I use between coats of paint, and I can't tell you what the grit is -- there's nothing written on the reverse side of it   :-X .  I had a packet of different grits which I bought years ago so the packet is long gone I'm afraid.  The closest I can relate it too is something mrs kitnut uses for her nails, one side of the block (there's four different grits) is almost smooth and the paper I have is like that

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
Well I'm getting there, cockpit has been done and canopies glued on & painted. The revised anti-glare panels have to be adjusted ---- taped on some trial decals just printed on paper and found the black edge is now too low

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
Bloomin' brilliant, makes me wish I had the bits to do something similar with an F86F and an F86K, thus eliminating the need for the pod.
I bet the finished article is gonna be fantastic. Anticipation hurts.    ;)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2017, 04:14:58 AM »
Thanks pigflyer ----

I've had on my mind for quite sometime a different Twin Sabre Dog, a turbo-prop powered one. It would follow along the lines of this project below.  But because a swept-winged Twin Fuselage doesn't really look particularly good in my view, I would use a FJ-4 wing instead of the Sabre wing.

This project below though isn't for a turbo-prop (although it could quite well be), it's my idea for an ultimate 'piston-engine' powered aircraft.
The idea is it's powered by a Rolls Royce Crecy, not the V-12 that got built, but by a theoretical version of the engine that a Rolls Royce engine expert had theorized. It would have been a 24 cylinder 'X' configured engine of 39 litres and put out just over 8000 hp.

So a twinned fuselage version of below would make a pretty formidable attack plane in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:35:25 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
Those contra-props really make this baby sing!

Great stuff, Robert!

Brian da Basher

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
Yup, wot Brian said.    :D
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
Thanks guys, sometime in the future (near future I hope), I'll get some of these other projects finished   :icon_crap:

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
So a twinned fuselage version of below would make a pretty formable
And formidable! (in the French meaning = wonderful not dreadful) :-* ;)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »

To echo Brian's statement.
"Those contra-props really make this baby sing!
Great stuff, Robert!"

Is right on, kind of build I'd like to have done. :)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
Thanks again guys

and thank you Tophe for correcting my spelling, had a brain fart ------  ;)

And formidable! (in the French meaning = wonderful not dreadful) :-* ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2017, 10:57:06 PM »
Not done much at all lately except a bit of research. I was on the Secret Projects forum when I came across an entry made by apophenia (Steven). Steven has been doing a Canadair designation compilation list and I PM'ed him to see if there was one that was not used around the time of my backstory and a bit before the Canadair CL-13 Sabre. He replied with three or four possibilities, one which fitted quite well into my timeline. So this project will be called a Canadair CL-10 Twin Fury. I'm in the process of rewriting my backstory which will make it a little less convoluted.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
With Canadian roundels or else, the enjoyment in this twin-plane will be high! :-*

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »
... So this project will be called a Canadair CL-10 Twin Fury. I'm in the process of rewriting my backstory ...

Looking forward to that  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."