Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 57793 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:41 PM »
That's lovely work, well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Thank you very much Logan.  Great avatar, by the way.  Always was a fan of Lee Marvin.  If you haven't seen it, go to YouTube and watch the video clip of his visit on the Johnny Carson Show when he tells Johnny where he was shot during WWII.  Hilarious!

Here's a profile shot of the MiG:

Hopefully the Badger won't take as long to complete.  Still working on the pilot for the F-105 and finishing that project, too. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2018, 01:38:06 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:40 PM »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2018, 01:45:21 AM »
Looking good.

It is indeed ... and suitably scruffy. Love it  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »
Looking good.

It is indeed ... and suitably scruffy. Love it  :smiley:

Thanks very much!

I don't want to put too many carts before too many horses, but I was contacted by a publisher today who was interested in my work.  I'll be chatting with him tomorrow after I check him out a bit.  Wish me luck!  :D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
Good luck with that.  I hope it's the start of something great for you.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
Good luck!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2018, 09:55:38 PM »
Good luck with that.  I hope it's the start of something great for you.

Thank you!  This has started as a hobby where, initially, all I wanted to do was create a good 3D model of the Enterprise from the original "Star Trek" TV show.  That was about 18 years ago and I've been working at developing my technique to produce what I'm making now.  It's been a lot of fun, and I'm really happy there are folks who enjoy looking at what I'm creating.  I'd love to eventually have so much work that I'll have to quit the "day job" just to keep up with it.  Ha!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2018, 09:57:03 PM »
Good luck!

Thanks!  Fingers crossed!

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2018, 02:26:14 AM »
Thank you!  This has started as a hobby where, initially, all I wanted to do was create a good 3D model of the Enterprise from the original "Star Trek" TV show.  That was about 18 years ago and I've been working at developing my technique to produce what I'm making now.  It's been a lot of fun, and I'm really happy there are folks who enjoy looking at what I'm creating.  I'd love to eventually have so much work that I'll have to quit the "day job" just to keep up with it.  Ha!
Cool!!  I'd love to see that Enterprise model.  Do you have a "tweaked" one to depict the version from the two pilots (there are some definite differences, particularly in the back end of the nacelles).

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »
Cool!!  I'd love to see that Enterprise model.  Do you have a "tweaked" one to depict the version from the two pilots (there are some definite differences, particularly in the back end of the nacelles).

The one I was working on was the version used throughout the production of the show, not either of the pilot versions.  15 year old Enterprise renderings?  As you wish...

Bearing in mind that this was never completed.  I was teaching myself 3DSMAX by working on this project and other tutorials along the way.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2018, 03:33:12 AM »
Nice!!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2018, 05:31:44 AM »
Nice!!

Thanks!  So much trial and error (and, of that, more error than trial... Ha!)  Good learning tool though re: creating all the objects which, together, make that ship miniature.  I look at it now and I know there are so many things I would do differently, more efficiently, regarding modeling it. 

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
Nice!!

Thanks!  So much trial and error (and, of that, more error than trial... Ha!)  Good learning tool though re: creating all the objects which, together, make that ship miniature.  I look at it now and I know there are so many things I would do differently, more efficiently, regarding modeling it.
Having done a lot of 3D CAD in the course of my career, I can understand that.  Learning how to model efficiently is always a learning experience.  The real fun comes when you try and work with someone else's model that is anything but.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
I could have sworn I posted this, but I probably got in a hurry and forgot to hit the all-important "post" button while having what my son refers to as a "senior moment"  ;D

This is a poster I finished earlier this week commemorating the F-105D and the squadrons that flew and crewed it in Vietnam.  I also got a new art client who wants a 105 profile illustration and designed some t-shirts using the 105 that folks have bought, which is kind of cool!  Meanwhile, I'm, working on a Tu-16 Badger for my first client and getting closer to being finished with modeling a new and improved pilot figure.  Busy, busy, busy... 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2018, 01:03:50 PM »
Nice!!

Having done a lot of 3D CAD in the course of my career, I can understand that.  Learning how to model efficiently is always a learning experience.  The real fun comes when you try and work with someone else's model that is anything but.

Been there, done that-but with my own meshes.  Ha!  I found out that sometimes objects that look just great in Max don't always play nicely once imported into Vue Studio.  Smoothing issues and angles, things of that nature.  Sometimes I might have to go back into the model and clean things up a bit, but not a great deal.  It's all a learning experience and fun, so I don't mind terribly. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2018, 01:07:29 AM »
I could have sworn I posted this, but I probably got in a hurry and forgot to hit the all-important "post" button while having what my son refers to as a "senior moment"  ;D

No senior moment...just a timeslip issue... ;)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

No senior moment...just a timeslip issue... ;)

Bummer, hate when that happens... 

Here's one I'm working on for a friend who's one of the many gifted volunteers at the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  This year they completed work restoring an F-105D-20-RE and painted it in silver, with the correct markings per its S/N (61-0107).  Planning on completing a profile for him as a gift.  Still working on placing all the markings on the fuselage at this point.  I've written to the USAF Museum and the 49th Wing, at Holloman AFB, to obtain further information regarding this plane that I can use while I'm considering layout options for the profile.

Cheers!

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
 :smiley:
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »
Back after a long hiatus!  Busy working on a few things.

I guess when I changed the name of my website all the images in my previous posts automagically disappeared  :(.  I guess I hadn't really counted on that happening.  No matter.

Still working on Russian aircraft for one client...

Like this Badger, which is the latest...

[img>https://johnmatthewsart.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/badger-10-31-18-2.jpg,[/img]http://

It's getting texture mapped presently...

But I've also made a couple nice F-105 prints for a client.  Gotta love the Thud!  You can check those out at my website.

Made some images of "Memphis Belle II"...

Here's a couple 105Ds.  Not entirely correct for the markings on the aircraft, but they're correct for the plane that's displayed at the nuke museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico...

Here's a print I did for the volunteers who restored her...

I've also started a B-47...

The model is finished and I'm working on the textures now.

Well, I suppose that brings us up to date.  Pity about the previous images though...  I guess I can re-post them as time allows.  I won't be changing my website name again though. 

Enjoy! 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2019, 09:49:50 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley:

That first image of the Thud is great! It takes a bit of searching to  figure out it's not real. 8) :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »
Looking good.  It would be god if you could fix the earlier images too.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2019, 07:45:10 AM »
Loving these new bombers!  :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2019, 02:45:32 AM »
excellent 3 work  ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:39:22 AM by GJE52 »
'If it looks right it flies right' - anyone hearing that phrase will instantly think  ... Hawker Hunter .

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2019, 02:54:16 AM »
... possibly the first jet vs jet dogfight ...           ?

Not sure if this belongs in this thread.