Author Topic: 4 more OOB, Bell 212 & 412  (Read 6394 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
4 more OOB, Bell 212 & 412
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
This was going to be just two but then I thought --- WTF --- might as well do all of them.

Production line   :-\    ;D   these will be three RCAF/CAF and one RAF. The yellow one is the Revell boxing of the 412 and will be a RCAF SAR, the other three are Italeri boxing, one being the 212 (although there's a complete 412 rotor included in the kit)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:00:49 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
Re: 4 more OOB, Bell 212 & 412
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »
Basically the difference between the 212 and the 412 is the rotor (plus the side engine covers). Again the kits have the parts with no pitch so looking on the internet I could see that the 412 at rest has no pitch to the rotor (that I could tell ), whereas the 212 rotor did. But looking at the kit parts I couldn't figure out how the rotor worked, so I found a very good article that showed exactly how it did. I didn't have to do very much to it, just figure out where I was going to cut the blades off and then, cut, drill, pin then glue it all back together again.

The 212 rotor mechanism is exposed so the kit has all these lovely parts, the 412 mechanism is mostly hidden behind the mast fairing with only the very top being seen, so there's no parts in the kit or to see.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:23:08 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:15 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
Yet to build chopper at BTS.  Watching yours !

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:15 PM »
Thanks --

The forth one is now up to the other three. 

But I've seen a problem  ----  where am I going to put them  :-\ the cabinet is a bit crowded already   ;D

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:54:50 PM »
Get some clear plastic sheet like plexiglass and make platforms on legs to sit over the models you have now. It could nearly double your display space. I’m need to do that too. Or else “retire” some older builds.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:27:02 AM »
Get some clear plastic sheet like plexiglass

I was looking at that yesterday, the cabinet is an Ikea one IIRC, I may be able to buy a couple more glass shelves for it. I'll check it out.

EDIT (a bit later): looking at the Ikea website it looks like I might be able to find a shelf just as I have.

I think I can re-arrange some things though, there's one in there which isn't finished. It was put in there to keep it safe so it can go down in my hobby room. It's actually a good candidate for the 'clear your workbench' GB
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:15:31 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
I’d like to see some more pics of some of your builds some of those look interesting.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:02:15 PM »
I should have a thread here for quite a few of them kerick, except the OOB builds I have in there. These were built before I got a digital camera  ;) I'll start a thread up and post as many pics as I have of each one if you like.  Mind you what you see there is only a small selection of the kits I have built, coming onto 300 now. I used to have them hanging from the ceiling at my house I had in Calgary, but I can't do that in our current home, ceilings are too low. They're packed away, still in the boxes I used for the house move (nearly 12 years ago  :-\ )

Like this
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:07:43 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
The way you manage yours is far superior to my sad piles of models. I need to bag them up and bin them for storage at some point.

Will need more bins I think.
 :-\
Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
That’s a clever way to pack for shipping or moving. I’ll have to keep that one in the memory banks.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 10:02:47 PM »
That’s a clever way to pack for shipping or moving. I’ll have to keep that one in the memory banks.

I never really noticed it before I started packing the models in boxes, is that you can place different aircraft into size categories. I mean they're basically the same dimensions which made it easier to plan how they got packed. You can see what I mean in the two photos above, Spitfire and Mustangs in the bottom of the box plus a couple of others, then Tempests, Typhoons, Sea Furys and P-47s in the top part of the box.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 03:57:54 AM »
OK, back to the build ---

I've got the cockpit/cabins done, nothing fancy, just tried to keep to the basics

Offline finsrin

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 06:51:05 AM »
I should have a thread here for quite a few of them kerick, except the OOB builds I have in there. These were built before I got a digital camera  ;) I'll start a thread up and post as many pics as I have of each one if you like.  Mind you what you see there is only a small selection of the kits I have built, coming onto 300 now. I used to have them hanging from the ceiling at my house I had in Calgary, but I can't do that in our current home, ceilings are too low. They're packed away, still in the boxes I used for the house move (nearly 12 years ago  :-\ )

Like this

Saw models brought to IPMS show packed this way.  Was impressed with it.  Specially nice for similar wing spans.  :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:59 AM »

Like this

Saw models brought to IPMS show packed this way.  Was impressed with it.  Specially nice for similar wing spans.  :smiley:

Since the house move Bill, I had to make two more moves (3 moves total) plus them getting moved to & from the Sea-Can to the house, then moved from room to room. I've had a look inside the boxes every now and then to see if everything is still in place, so far I've only found two models that have got dislodged.

My bigger models posed a far different problem, something big enough to put them in. You might appreciate this for all the B-36's you have (once you get them built   ;) )  You can see that to save space, I cut holes in each level so that parts of the lower level poked through.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »
Each level was then stacked on top of each other, then put into a box which a washing machine came in. But don't forget that the box has to be able to get through doors in the house so you don't want it to be too big.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:47:56 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 08:34:40 AM »
I did something like that once. I think it was when I left Hawaii and returned to the mainland. Worked pretty good too.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 06:41:41 AM »
Production is progressing, all the fuselages are now glued together, the one with the 4 blades is the furthest along in the build. It has everything glued together but the rotor I've made removable. The TwinHuey is the next furthest done, but still needs various bits. The two without the rotors need a lot of bits glued on.

I've settled on the schemes I'm going to paint them in. The TwinHuey will be in Canadian Green/Grey camo, there will be two Griffons, the yellow plastic one will be a Canadian SAR and the other will be a Canadian 2-tone green camo (that's the one almost complete), and the last one will be a Griffin in RAF Helicopter Training Black/Yellow scheme.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 07:57:45 AM »
Serious packaging done right.  :smiley:  If you gotta make moves like that without collateral damage these measures are needed.
Thanks for sharing.  Model building skills do spill over to building this type packaging.
Lot to keep track of on helo production line.  I operate for too messily to pull off such an operation.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:51:00 AM by finsrin »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
Thanks Bill.

As I said, I'm making the rotors removable so that in the event sometime in the future, they all need to be packed up for a move, I can pack them easier.  But it needs some modification to how the rotor mast assemble goes together. On the next rotor I put together, I'll have some photos of what I have to do.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Last packing picture with models on top of box.   What is name/number of twin prop transport ?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 10:00:43 PM »
It's an Airfix Bristol Freighter Mk.32 which has been converted back to a Mk.31 using a Magna Models resin set Bill. The conversion includes the new nose, windshield/canopy, tail fin, wheels, nacelles and props (although I stuck with the kit props)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:04:34 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 06:02:32 AM »
That's one of the sweetest Bristol Freighters I've ever seen!

Yet more proof (as if any were needed)that few things spice up an aircraft like those magnificent maple leafs!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
So I'm going to have RCAF/CAF marking on the Twin Huey (CH-135) using some CanMilAir decals I got years ago, the kit doesn't come with a Canadian option but does have a British Army option. So looking at photos of CH-135s for reference, I see something on the roof which the kit doesn't provide. I'm not sure what to call it, but it looks like a 'towel rack' has been bolted to the roof. Can anyone tell me what it is please, my searches don't come up with anything ---

But I've had to scratch build something that looks like it, seems to look ok though (pics later)

Also some of the antennas that the kit does say to use (and are in the kit) actually aren't used on RCAF/CAF CH-146s, according to the reference photos I've been looking at.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:37:33 AM by kitnut617 »