Author Topic: CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby  (Read 14150 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby
« on: October 13, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
Finally, after 4 years of having the kits sitting in the stash, I'm going to be trying to bash a Boomerang & a Fw.190 into (a version of) apophenia's Sea Wallaby.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4422.0 & pg's 43 & 44 of his general thread.

Blood Sacrifice to the Modelling Gods has been made (I stabbed myself in the hand 5 minutes into this, removing an extraction pin stub from inside the wing of the SH Boomerang, about 1cm wide by 1.5cm deep ... This should suffice to gain their blessings ... Maybe.) & the build has commenced.

You'd think after 4 years I'd have some sort of plan, but I don't. I haven't had the parts off the sprues to face up to each other until last night, so I'm making it up as I go along. The plane is going to be slightly larger than the profile & be fitted with an Aries R-2800 radial. The centre section of the wings & cockpit are going to be pretty-much all Boomerang, with the outer wings being Fw,190 & the nose & rear fuselage being a blend of the two.

Hopefully it works &, hopefully, I'll get it finished in time.

Where I'm at right now:

= Note the Sacrificial Hobby Knife just below the Fw.190 fuselage. ;) =
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:29:23 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: CAC CA-14A Sea Wallaby
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 02:14:39 PM »
Oh Yeah !!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »
Working on the cockpit .... Oh, the joys of limited-run kits & the lack of positive parts placement! :-\

The other thing is the completely random positioning of the parts on the sprues & the lack of numbering on the sprues, & constantly referring to the sprue lay-out in the instructions. :-X
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:23:22 AM »
Did you start with wing root? It looks like it'll be a good fit.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 02:22:21 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:53:23 AM »
Did you start with wing root? It looks like it'll be a good fit.

Yep, wing root first.

I'll reserve judgement on the fit until later, Frank. A test fit with the glued-up wing root & the CA-12 fuselage showed a 1mm gap on either side, but that may be because of the rubber band warping the fuselage a bit without the cockpit structures to hold it in shape.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »
Curious kit bash,  interesting to see how the parts line up.

Blood sacrifice to the gods of plastic may assist  ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 06:25:38 PM »
Curious kit bash,  interesting to see how the parts line up.

Probably not well, but, I guess  that's why it's called "kit-bashing"! C:-)

Blood sacrifice to the gods of plastic may assist  ;D ;D ;D

One can but hope! :icon_alabanza: :icon_meditation:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »
I will light a candle in front of the Sacred Box of the Unknown Components  :icon_meditation: :uuu: :uuu:

May the farce be with you  :D

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:27:19 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Oh yeah! Looking forward to this  :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 05:56:24 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration, mate! :icon_alabanza:

Real Life & lots of fiddly bits (one of which has shot off to satiate the Carpet/Lino Monster) are slowing this down dreadfully! :o

Still, progress is progressing! I'll put up pic's of the cockpit, when I've finished it. :smiley:

After that will come the joining of the halves, followed by extensive plastic surgery. ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:59:03 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
Pics will be help grasping what is happening !

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »
Just to keep things ticking over while I'm painting & building the cockpit: :smiley:

Outer wings attached to inner wings;

Still a lot of PSR to do on them & the observant will have noticed that I forgot to fit the Recognition Lights (aft of the starboard main gear well). I'll need to either use my long thin forceps to fit them in place or wimp out & use some Clear Fix. However, given the amount of PSR to come, this may be a good thing.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
Working so far.

Although, every time I come into this thread I have an earworm bawdy ditty about a bloke call Wallaby Bob.
High School boy humour.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
Working so far.

Although, every time I come into this thread I have an earworm bawdy ditty about a bloke call Wallaby Bob.
High School boy humour.

Thanks, BT! :smiley:

Don't know the ditty in question but you may have inadvertently named this beastie. ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 06:08:49 AM »
 Hrm. I will have to go look up the original - bound to be an interesting back story to this one. It sure looks right - good luck with the build!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:04 PM »
Thanks, Doc! :smiley:

Had to cut 15mm from the length of the fuselage. How I had it was w-a-y too long but this has allowed me to fix something that I seem to recall being a fault with the Fw.190, the too narrow tail-end of the fuselage which, from memory, had a tendency to tear off very easily with even relatively minor damage.

The CA-14 Sea Wallaby is going to be slightly chunkier at the rear end but not hugely so.

Needs a couple more rounds of PSR, then I'll put up a photo.

I need to get back onto the cockpit, too, as I need to get it on the plane so I can cut off the nose, fit the engine mounts, built & fit the new engine, & build the new nose around it.

(I will be trying to include the Fw.190's cooling fan in the design.)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 09:50:57 AM »
This is turning into some serious surgery! Looking forward to to pics  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 08:36:44 AM »
This is turning into some serious surgery! Looking forward to to pics  :smiley:

Pic's not too far away. :smiley:

I'm up to PSR round 5 ... or is it 6? ... on the tail unit at the moment. :-X

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
OK, some photo's of this PSR Queen;

The tail section is as done as I'm going to bother with. As you can see, it's still slightly rough (worse in pic's than in person) & all the detail is gone, so I'll need to recreate some.

Remember, it's just the tail section we're looking at, here, the wings have just had their first putty applied.

Thanks for watching! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 08:41:51 AM »
What PSR ? Looks like freshly moulded plastic to me

Great work

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
Jeez, that was fast! :icon_surprised:

Thanks, BT! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
'PSR Queen' or not, she's gonna be a looker  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »
Thanks, apophenia! :smiley:

If everything goes to plan, I think you may be right regarding her looks - but, then, you did create the inspiration! ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »
It's looking good and  the tail looks fine - remember that perfect is the enemy of good. It looks good enough. he wings would have been my main concern and they look really good.