Author Topic: WW2 era Hydrofoil - Vosper X-2 - Finished  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: WW2 era Hydrofoil - Name may change
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
She's looking really nice, BT! 8)

However, although it may just be the angle, I'm a bit concerned about the (rear) tubes launching into the front foils. :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 12:52:42 AM »

However, although it may just be the angle, I'm a bit concerned about the (rear) tubes launching into the front foils. :icon_crap:

Yeah, I see that too - but that's just a training challenge ;)

Good looking work - I will be studying the Molins mount for reference.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 05:48:44 AM »

Yeah, I see that too - but that's just a training challenge ;)

Good looking work - I will be studying the Molins mount for reference.

Me too, it was part of the giving up on the whole wringing of hands thing and handing over to the suspension of belief and magic of whiffery.
The total number of actual MTB on Hydrofoils appears to be close to zero, more than likely for exactly this reason. Once embed in the base a lot of the issues we all see will hopefully be out of sight.

Craig if you want actual drawings of the naval Molins mount, I can provide them, I have the most excellent Lambert "Anatomy of the ship"  book on the Fairmile MTB/MGB family which has engineering drawings of all weapons used on this class of vessel. My version is a rough rudimentary approximation of those.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
Another thought is, I wonder if you might have a risk of running into your torpedo before it got up to
speed?
 :-\

Perhaps the technique would be to slow the boat and drop back down to hull borne, but still planing,
before launching the torpedoes, just long enough to launch and then turn away accelerating back to
being foil borne. Basically come in fast, suddenly slow, then turn and speed away.
 ???
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2021, 08:41:28 AM »
Another thought is, I wonder if you might have a risk of running into your torpedo before it got up to
speed?
 :-\
I have decided that in this build universe, the magic of whiffery has decreed that the boffins have come up with a way to extend the distance a torpedo will launch so it is outside foil zone.
Also the torpedoes may have become secondary armament due to the heavier 6 pounder mount due to your valid point about lack of viable targets.

Buildwise, on a bit of a roll.

Moving onto the base. It is a foam base, with some sculptamould base texture. This was allowed to dry then a couple of sheets of blue crepe paper was laid over the entire thing and then wetted down with diluted white glue, which added further "wavy" texture and a more merged surface.

After that had dried, the next step was a quick coat of paint to check it out and then starting to pack in more crepe paper around the hydrofoil business, only with water at this stage, because my logic says, I should be able to still remove it. We shall see if logic wins over reality
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:50:09 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
 ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2021, 02:02:10 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2021, 02:39:00 AM »
Very cool approach to modelling moving water  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2021, 01:14:19 AM »
Very cool approach to modelling moving water  :smiley:

Indeed - I will have to try that for the base for the Revenant. Really liking the colors overall.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2021, 01:41:32 AM »
You probably have this covered so please excuse a dumb question:  If the boat is on it's foil (hull out of the water), shouldn't there be a wake coming off the foil legs at the point of exit of the water ?

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2021, 04:46:44 AM »
You probably have this covered so please excuse a dumb question:  If the boat is on it's foil (hull out of the water), shouldn't there be a wake coming off the foil legs at the point of exit of the water ?

Work in progress... last couple were just progress shots. I am out of Gel medium for the water, so when I get that in the next day or so, we can go for the next stage, which will indeed include wake... lots of wake.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2021, 04:20:39 PM »
A real "Wake Up!" ............................... ??? ................. ::) ............ [Exit stage left]

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2021, 06:31:43 PM »
Well that's about it. Call it done for what it is.
I got to thinking about pulling off both torpedo tubes and creating a Destroyer type rotating mount, like this (thanks for the pic shapeways).. but only a triple mount, trash the Oerlikon mount

Luckily, I then decided. Nup, for the intended purposes, it will do. Not quite sure about the dumbflow exhaust outlet attempt. With them on

With this beam side off. Leaning toward off as getting this water/exhaust mix to look any good appears to be rather a challenge

Couple more beauty shots

thanks for dropping by and the excellent discussion on this topic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 06:37:18 PM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

Re: WW2 era Hydrofoil - Vosper X-2 - Finished
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »
That looks great, BT! 8) 8) :smiley:

I'd lose the side fountains, they just don't look right. :-\

Plus, with the hydrofoil, where are you getting that much water to pump out anyway? ???

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2021, 10:50:28 PM »
The boat looks fast and menacing and the water surface looks realistic, but I agree with Guy - the water fountains don't make sense and detract from the sense of speed.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2021, 11:08:44 PM »
<snip>
Luckily, I then decided. Nup, for the intended purposes, it will do. Not quite sure about the dumbflow exhaust outlet attempt. With them on
<snip>
With this beam side off. Leaning toward off as getting this water/exhaust mix to look any good appears to be rather a challenge
<snip>
I do like your on-foil display and that 2-pr is quite fetching. 

The one image showing the stream of fluid being ejected from the engine exhaust seems a bit excessive and that also brings up the question of where is the water intake for the exhaust located when the hull is foil borne?  Maybe replace the fluid stream with a puff of steam/exhaust by using something with a very fine fibre such as a piece of cotton ball for example. 

Other than that, great work! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2021, 02:21:37 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2021, 04:58:21 AM »
Thanks Team, I totally agree the exhaust stream does not work. It will be fully removed. Not that this model will be seen anywhere else much. Might replace some pix though with them gone

Plus, with the hydrofoil, where are you getting that much water to pump out anyway? ???

I figured that the intake pipe could quite easily be within the Hydrofoil supports, not that different to the skeg that was the water inlet on my last ski boat.

All in all glad you like how it came out. Except the naff exhaust attempt  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 05:02:54 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2021, 07:53:20 AM »
Vosper built an experimental MTB, the Bloodhound, that had a trainable torpedo tube, the
torpedoman sat astride the tube. It worked but it was heavy so the concept was never
carried forward on any production boat. The boat was later used in torpedo development
work.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »
Right on in every way.   Am I impressed or what?   Water is a build in its own right and to think clouds showed up at time of picture.  :smiley:  8)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »
Vosper built an experimental MTB, the Bloodhound, that had a trainable torpedo tube, the
torpedoman sat astride the tube. It worked but it was heavy so the concept was never
carried forward on any production boat. The boat was later used in torpedo development
work.

Good catch Jon  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2021, 01:48:30 AM »
Nice build, love the water effect.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2021, 03:37:13 AM »
Yeah! that has come out very well   :smiley: