Author Topic: Box Scale B-58A Hustler  (Read 5605 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Box Scale B-58A Hustler
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:55:43 AM »
Okay, this one sucks.

I had what I thought was a great idea for the 'box scale' Revell kit of the B-58A Hustler. I'd turn that 1/91st scale into a 1/72nd scale fighter (virtually, at least). Measured out in 1/72, that Revell Hustler would have a 13.60 m span and be 24.41 m long. So, a 'big brother' to the Convair F-102A (11.61 m span, 20.83 m long). I ditched the outboard engines (for a more fighter-y look), plonked on a 1/72 canopy, and stepped back to admire the progress on my latest creation.

The result: bletch! What a stinker. Nothing about this looks right  :P

Too bad ... I had a whole story line worked out. The 449th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron was going to be kept alive in Alaska (moving from Ladd AFB at Fairbanks to Elmendorf and trading in its F-89Js for 'F-58s'). But I downed tools once I saw what a mutt this was. Ah well, to quote a Denis Leary character: "Welcome to the real world, where most times things don't go your f***ing way."

Anyway, I decided to post this image 'as is' in case it prompts some superior ideas from someone else  :-[
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Box Scale B-58A Hustler
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
Looks good to me, maybe leaving off the drop tank will make it look more fighterish ?

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Nice  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 10:38:54 AM »
Perhaps a large interceptor instead of a fighter?  Carrying larger AAM to shoot at long range targets (bomber, AWACS, tankers, etc.) and not mingling in dog-fighting. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »
I'm with Robomog. I don't hate it nearly as much as you do, apophenia. Get rid of that Hustler-style tank, give it a pair of Draken-style drop tanks nestled in much closer to the fuselage, no lower than the nacelles.

That will permit much shorter gear. Not sure if there's room for an internal bay, but you can put a couple of GAR-9s or Genies on the outer pylons where the Number 1 and 4 engines were. That might give it a more purposeful look, too.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »
Perfecto Draken picture.  8)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
I would say all it needs is some of those ADC markings the 102s and 106s used to have. If two engines then make them a little bigger and a couple of smaller drop tanks. And missiles of course as previously mentioned. Otherwise a winner to me.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 05:26:47 PM »
I would say all it needs is some of those ADC markings the 102s and 106s used to have. If two engines then make them a little bigger and a couple of smaller drop tanks. And missiles of course as previously mentioned. Otherwise a winner to me.

Yep, yep, thatz it !

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 06:49:36 PM »
Okay, this one sucks.

On the contrary, it looks just enough 'off' to look real. as opposed to perfectly designed. The engine nacelles need to be enlarged, though, as this aircraft will use twin J79s, and I would have said a larger, not smaller, centre line tank, for longer endurance. You need the big MB-1 pod, with the four fins. Oh, and lots of red paint . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Online LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 09:00:00 PM »
I'll chime in as well: I think it looks pretty darn good.  My suggestion would be hand 2 smaller drop tanks out board of the engines, leaving the centerline for some conformal missile mounts, just for something a little different.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 02:17:00 AM »
I'll chime in as well: I think it looks pretty darn good.  My suggestion would be hand 2 smaller drop tanks out board of the engines, leaving the centerline for some conformal missile mounts, just for something a little different.

Also something I considered and I think that would do the trick well, too.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 03:15:33 AM »
Oooooh  love that Draken !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 03:28:47 AM »
Reminds me a bit of this:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 06:05:04 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the all responses folks. I'm thinking this is mainly a problem of proportions ... the general impression being of a scrawny chicken rather than a svelte fighter ;P

Greg: Very nice! Love that ogival wing

Mog: You're right about the belly tank. In 3D, it'd take heaps of work just to convert the B-58's siamese-twin tank into a single drop tank ... and the visual difference is minimal.

Jeffry: Yup, definitely a large interceptor - roughly CF-105 sized or just a smidge smaller than the XF-108 Rapier. That's what prompted my Alaskan basing idea - figured that they'd need lots of range. For armament, I was thinking GAR-9 Falcons along with F-89-style 2.75 in FFARs.

Logan: Nice! Scaled up, those paired Draken tanks would carry plenty of fuel while looking much more 'fighter-ish' than the B-58's central tank.

Kerick: Bigger twin nacelles? Hmmm ... another scale-o-rama possibility here! Basic airframe stays 1/91 Revell (H-272-98) but fitted with inboard engines from the 1/76 Aurora kit (375-250). Add to that a 1/72 cockpit ... but what kind?

Robin: Yeah, those Alaskan schemes have lashings of hi-viz red :)

LemonJello: For sure. I had intended outboard tanks but was havering over their exact arrangement. Maybe because of recent work on a Nimrod, I wondered about permanently-fitted wing tanks (ie, no pylons).

Anyhoo, attached is a crude rework of the original. I've done it 'clean' ... so you have to imagine it with twin belly tanks and drop tanks on the short, outer pylons. I chickened out on the 'fixed' wing tanks (none too sure about the aerodynamics of those for a supersonic aircraft).

I was also unhappy with my original F-14 canopy (thinking it wasn't 'period' enough) so I've substituted a two-seat Voodoo cockpit - complete with IRST. I had also hoped to incorporate the radome for the CF-101B's AN/APS-54 ... but the 'F-58' nose is just too skinny  :P
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline robunos

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 06:47:15 AM »
Have a look at the Yak-28 'Firebar' . . .    ;)

I think you've hit on the problem, the fuselage is too slender for a long range, all-weather interceptor, needs something stockier . . .

cheers,
Robin.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:01:39 AM by robunos »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »
That was part of the design of the B-58. The pods held a lot of fuel that was used first then dropped with the nuke that was part of the pod. Maybe some sort of conformal tank under the fuselage.

Offline robunos

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »
Okay, I gave this some more thought last night, go back to the Tomcat canopy, it's anachronistic, but looks better. Use the large MB-1 pod, missile illuminator radar in it's nose, then fuel, missile bay amidships (missiles on pop out launchers), then fuel aft. Outboard wing pylons can carry FFAR launchers, will need to be jettisoned after use, or additional fuel tanks.
OR, FFARs/extra fuel in the pod, and missiles mounted outboard on the wing and/or wingtips.

cheers,
Robin.

Offline robunos

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »
A further idea, but taking us away from the original Hustler, use the Model 58-9 SST fuselage . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 10:45:12 PM »
Okay, I gave this some more thought last night, go back to the Tomcat canopy, it's anachronistic, but looks better. Use the large MB-1 pod, missile illuminator radar in it's nose, then fuel, missile bay amidships (missiles on pop out launchers), then fuel aft. Outboard wing pylons can carry FFAR launchers, will need to be jettisoned after use, or additional fuel tanks.
OR, FFARs/extra fuel in the pod, and missiles mounted outboard on the wing and/or wingtips.
Consider the modified pod used with the NB-58A "Snoopy" for testing the AIM-47 missile and associated radar.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 02:03:18 AM »
Indeed:

A Tu-128 style version of the B-58 would be cool.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 04:31:49 AM »
Enlarge/stretch the engine pods; F-4 type canopy.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:35:06 AM by jcf »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
A Tu-128 style version of the B-58 would be cool.

Yow! The 'Fiddler' is even bigger than a 1/1 Hustler! So, there's a non-scale-o-rama concept :D

Jon: I was going for 1/72 B-58A engines on the 1/91 pods. But, yeah, they could stand to be 'bigger' still. I did try the F-4 canopy but the GIB sits a little too high up for the Hustler fuselage top line (mind you, I had to cheat a bit of the F-14 canopy too  :-[

Offline apophenia

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 07:51:00 AM »
I had totally forgotten about 'Snoopy'! So, a shortened version of the NB-58A's droopy snoot now transitions into a new 'inline belly pod' - a combined fixed belly tank and weapons bay/pop-out launchers. Its slender but otherwise is Kerick's conformal tank in all but name.

As per Robin's suggestion, I've gone back to the F-14 canopy - also added some hi-viz Arctic panels and an Alaskan Air Command badge on the fin.

BTW, a saw Goleta Air & Space Museum photo of NB-58A 'Snoopy' sitting on a target range at Edwards AFB. She was looking rather sad and stripped ... although the huge radome was intact. Anyone know if she is still extant?

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
There we go, that's works really well, apophenia. Great job!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
ISTR that "Snoopy" has been recovered for restoration for the Edwards museum.