Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130000 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »
Ok.. I will kick back until they hit the paint shop.

Nice work though all around

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
Ok.. I will kick back until they hit the paint shop.

Nice work though all around

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 10:10:45 AM »
Started another one. This time the Trumpeter JGSDF NBC vehicle. I also cut off the raised upper hull to match the JGSDF Type 82 command vehicle. I didn't take a lot of in-progress photos as it is almost the same as the command vehicle except for the specific NBC equipment. Still a lot more to go on both.

The two together.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2020, 02:37:59 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 12:47:21 AM »
@RAMBA - AFV Club should be thanking you for all of the business you have given them :smiley:

Great work on the modifications to those two vehicles!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 02:25:40 AM »
@RAMBA - AFV Club should be thanking you for all of the business you have given them :smiley:

Great work on the modifications to those two vehicles!

Thanks!

The funny thing is, I only have one AFV kit besides the accessory sets. I only have the M1128 MGS. It is a great kit. It is about 1/2 built but packed away right now as no one makes the slat armor for the MGS version. The slat armor for the MGS isn't the same as on other Strykers. I will eventually get back to it and will have to do without the slat armor.  I originally got the AFV Stryker upgrade set for the MGS but I only ended up using the DUKE antenna on the MGS from the upgrade set. Most of the parts in the upgrade set are already included in the MGS kit. The AFV Stryker upgrade parts used on the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 82 vehicles were the SATCOM antenna, M240 and upper hull hatches. The AFV M151 RWS was a separate set.

Here is the AFV M1128 MGS as it stands now.

The DUKE antenna is mounted on the left rear side of the turret. I didn't attach the DUKE yet though.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
I have two of the M1128 MGS kits and my intention is to use one of the MGS turrets on a tracked vehicle hull.  Not sure which at this point as I had considered the M551 Sheridan hull but that soon fell out of favour as I realized it was just not up to the task. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
I think you'll have a bit of trouble with that, Jeff. There aren't many, if any, tracked AFV's capable of (effectively) mounting the MGS, the length/width ratio doesn't allow for a long enough vehicle to mount the gun, loading system & ammunition, whilst retaining a reasonable performance envelope for the AFV without it becoming excessively large.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping for something in the light-medium tracked vehicle category that would simply be a drop in solution but that resulted in the dead end with the M551 Sheridan.  At this point, I figure an MBT hull will be the better choice with the Abrams hull being the more attractive of the lot available to me from my stash.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »
A slightly better solution may be the Merkava, engine forward & large rear access for getting at the mechanicals & loading ammunition.

Returning to Ramba's builds: I'm looking forward to what is to come, the M1128 included. :smiley:

I really should crack on with some armour builds of my own, I've been a bit slack in that field lately. :-[

Offline Ramba

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
A slightly better solution may be the Merkava, engine forward & large rear access for getting at the mechanicals & loading ammunition.

Returning to Ramba's builds: I'm looking forward to what is to come, the M1128 included. :smiley:

I really should crack on with some armour builds of my own, I've been a bit slack in that field lately. :-[

Thanks!

I am definitely looking forward to more of your armor builds. Your Ukrainian BRDM-2 and LAV-150 TOW looked awesome!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
I have two of the M1128 MGS kits and my intention is to use one of the MGS turrets on a tracked vehicle hull.  Not sure which at this point as I had considered the M551 Sheridan hull but that soon fell out of favour as I realized it was just not up to the task.

Have you seen this sci fi Merkava? It has a similar setup to the MGS.
https://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=106505

I am doing a what if Merkava myself with the Academy 1/35 Mk.III. I was inspired by this artwork. The artwork shows a Mk.II though but I didn't have a Mk.II so I used the Mk.III instead. I switched out the 120mm main gun to an ESCI 105mm main gun from a Blazer kit. The ERA blocks were also from the same ESCI Blazer kit. I got them as spares from someone who had a trashed kit. This is as far as I got. Still a long way to go but I am also still thinking of what else I can add to it. I had the TUSK I side skirt armor from a trashed M1A2 I was going to add to the side skirts of this Merkava but I accidentally threw away most of the TUSK I parts when I was cleaning up. I will have to figure out what else I can use instead.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2020, 11:34:39 PM »
 8) :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2020, 01:40:20 AM »
@Ramba - nice work so far on your Merkava WHIF!  Colour me envious :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2020, 06:05:53 AM »
I am going to look for some RWS kits at swap and sells I think.

They appear to be very versatile and can change the look of a vehicle with that addition only.

The Merkava is a treat as well.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
I am going to look for some RWS kits at swap and sells I think.

They appear to be very versatile and can change the look of a vehicle with that addition only.

The Merkava is a treat as well.
From memory, I remember seeing the following RWS kits available:

AFV Club M151 RWS has a lot of extra bits and pieces included from the Stryker kit.  - I have several of these in the stash. 
Bronco offers a CROWS kit that has the gunner display and controls. - I have a couple of these in the stash.
Blast Models has a RWS (not sure if it is the CROWS or the M151 RWS) in resin. - I have fondled one of these at a vendor table several years ago.
Trumpeter does offer a wonky M151 RWS as a separate purchase item. - This is straight out of the Trumpeter Stryker kit and it is of lesser quality than the AFV Club M151 RWS.
Live Resin has some very interesting RWS for German and a couple of what-if subjects.   

Offline Ramba

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2020, 02:55:01 AM »
Besides the ones Mr. Fontaine listed, Black Dog also has the German RCWS which is the one I used on my what if Merkava. The Live Resin version is nicer though.

This is the Live Resin Secutor. It is a really nice RWS. I took mine off the tracked robot and am using it on the Bandai M61A5.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2020, 02:57:39 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2020, 06:17:51 AM »
See my point exactly.. the Bandai Semovente looks mean as, straight out of the box.

Add that RWS and the factor explodes. ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »
See my point exactly.. the Bandai Semovente looks mean as, straight out of the box.

Add that RWS and the factor explodes. ;)

That Live Resin Secutor really adds to the look of the M61A5 Semovente but it isn't 100% decided yet if I want to add it or not. I am messing with different ideas. Will keep you updated.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »
So I decided to try different layouts on the JGSDF Type 82 Command Post vehicle. Instead of the M151 RWS, I am test fitting the Live Resin twin .50cal Secutor. The Secutor looks cool on pretty much anything you put it on but taking a poll here. I am showing it with the Secutor and with the M151 RWS. Which version do you think looks better?

Here it is with the Secutor test fitted.

Here it is with the M151 RWS.

The reason I originally had the M151 RWS on the JGSDF Type 82 Command Post vehicle was because I also have the JGSDF NBC vehicle and both are the same type. I think having the matching M151 RWS makes more sense. Here are the two JGSDF vehicles together with the M151 RWS.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2020, 11:56:08 PM »
So I decided to try different layouts on the JGSDF Type 82 Command Post vehicle. Instead of the M151 RWS, I am test fitting the Live Resin twin .50cal Secutor. The Secutor looks cool on pretty much anything you put it on but taking a poll here. I am showing it with the Secutor and with the M151 RWS. Which version do you think looks better?
<snip>
The reason I originally had the M151 RWS on the JGSDF Type 82 Command Post vehicle was because I also have the JGSDF NBC vehicle and both are the same type. I think having the matching M151 RWS makes more sense. Here are the two JGSDF vehicles together with the M151 RWS.
Does the LiveResin Secutor kit allow you to build the RWS with one M2 Browning .50" HB and one Mk19GLMG?
I ask as that would be the more practical weapons suite for your vehicle and it would also give it two engagement options instead of one. 

Offline Ramba

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2020, 12:05:55 AM »
<snip>
Does the LiveResin Secutor kit allow you to build the RWS with one M2 Browning .50" HB and one Mk19GLMG?
I ask as that would be the more practical weapons suite for your vehicle and it would also give it two engagement options instead of one.

This particular Secutor only came with the twin .50cals. Live Resin does have a different version with one .50cal and one Mk.19 40mm grenade launcher. I only have the version with the twin .50cals though.

I was thinking leaving the Secutor on the JGSDF Type 82 Command Post vehicle so that I wouldn't have two vehicles almost the same as each other. Variety is more interesting.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2020, 12:56:02 AM »
My opinion:

The Secutor looks wa-ay cooler 8) but the M151 looks more realistic ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2020, 03:42:04 AM »
My opinion:

The Secutor looks wa-ay cooler 8) but the M151 looks more realistic ;)

The Secutor looks really cool especially on the Type 82. Don't forget though, these vehicles are being done as what if/fictional. The Secutor is also fictional so fits right in with the theme. The only thing is though, I might have to remove the front mounted M240 by the commander's hatch. The .50cal on the M151 RWS sits a tad higher than the ones on the Secutor so that has better clearance when forward firing. With the .50cals sitting a tiny bit lower, the front mounted M240 might interfere with the forward firing of the Secutor. I might leave the M240 as you don't always directly forward fire anyway. The Secutor can traverse/elevate so it operates just like any other turret. The M240 is only secondary for security purposes anyway.