Author Topic: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 Fishbed  (Read 81985 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 Fishbed
« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2020, 03:28:16 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
One variation I have been considering is a wing with reduced leading edge sweep, much like the later J-7 wings, but with the trailing edge remaining straight, and giving enough chord at the wing tips to mount short-range AAM's.  Combine this with an updated Ye-8 or J-7FS for a different look.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2021, 12:20:16 AM »
Operational and armed MiG-21 Ye-8 bis

Some ideas to settle gun?

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
Lovin' these!  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »
Beautiful Ye-8 variants!  If it gets a gun or guns, I can see single-barreled cannon on either side of the intake.  Alternatively, a twin-barreled Gsh-23, as carried on late-model MiG-21s located just aft of the nose gear and far enough down that the projectiles don't hit structure would work.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »
Operational and armed MiG-21 Ye-8 bis

Some ideas to settle gun?

Thanks Carlos / ysi_maniac, they look even better than I envisaged 😯👍
I guess the Soviet's lose.

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2021, 02:30:01 AM »
Damn it!  Why isn't this in 1/48:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2021, 04:34:21 AM »
Other than the canopy and different bumps and scoops there aren't many external differences from the earlier MiG-21s

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2021, 02:28:50 PM »
Rocket-boosted Ye-50, based on the Ye-2, with a rocket motor in the tailfin root.  The Ye-50A is, AFAIK, a never-were follow-on that relocated its rocket fuel to a ventral tank.

Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2021, 02:14:46 PM »
MiG-21MF diagram.

I suppose the internal fuel disposition might also be applicable to the MiG-21F/J-7 except for the spine-mounted tank.

'Though the illustration of the forward-most tank confuses me.  Does it mean that this tank sits around the pilot?

Also, can someone comment on the cockpit visibility of the MiG-21?  For example, if an inflight refueling probe is to be implemented, how high does the probe has to be when (in case of a retractable installation) extended to be visible to the pilot?

(Please see enclosed below an intellectual exercise; I directly lifted the installation from the F-100 Super Saber, and I don't expect it to stick into the finalized form.)

Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
'Though the illustration of the forward-most tank confuses me.  Does it mean that this tank sits around the pilot?

That would be "No", it sits between the two frames directly behind the pilot.

It helps if you realise that the leading edge tank ends with a flat at the front which comes up to the fuselage between the third & fourth frames behind the pilot. The fuselage tank that it abuts sits between the second & fourth frames behind the pilot. The front-most tank sits just forward of that, directly behind the pilot's shoulders & back.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »
Also, can someone comment on the cockpit visibility of the MiG-21?  For example, if an inflight refueling probe is to be implemented, how high does the probe has to be when (in case of a retractable installation) extended to be visible to the pilot?
The Finnish Air Force Museum has 360 cockpit views in their Virtual Museum. Visibility looks pretty OK to me.
https://ilmavoimamuseo.fi/virtualmuseum/  (Their MiG-21 F13 is number 22 on the floor plan. Click that to get in the cockpit)

Offline dy031101

« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2021, 03:00:26 AM »
It helps if you realise that the leading edge tank ends with a flat at the front which comes up to the fuselage between the third & fourth frames behind the pilot. The fuselage tank that it abuts sits between the second & fourth frames behind the pilot. The front-most tank sits just forward of that, directly behind the pilot's shoulders & back.

Got it!  :smiley:

The Finnish Air Force Museum has 360 cockpit views in their Virtual Museum. Visibility looks pretty OK to me.
https://ilmavoimamuseo.fi/virtualmuseum/  (Their MiG-21 F13 is number 22 on the floor plan. Click that to get in the cockpit)

Nice!  :smiley:

===============================================================

Upon further Googling, I came across this statement/claim on the fuel system of pre-7E J-7s (which I think means every series that doesn't have the double-delta wings), which is described as a "gravity refueling design with refueling points in strategic locations across the aircraft".  The one for the J-7E, OTOH, is described as "pressure refueling system that reduces time required for refueling from 30 minutes to six".

It would also appear that the the fuselage fuel tanks in the MiG-21 and J-7 (not in the wings or, in case of late-model MiG-21s, in the spine) are of a flexible/"bag" type.

Would the fuel system affect the viability of an inflight refueling probe?  Or would addition of a probe necessarily introduce a pressure refueling system with it for planes that don't have one?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2022, 05:41:51 AM »

I attempted to do a militarized Analog 144, according to the second prototype.  Although I do have a few questions:

- what does the fairing on top of the tailfin contain?

- what military equipment was relocated and/or deleted out of necessity of the airframe modification and where would you suggest the equipment to be restored?

- what test equipment, if the Analog 144 has any, would be unnecessary for combat roles?

- I attempted once again to put a refueling probe (running along where the right wing and the fuselage join)...... do you foresee the current installation going over some access panel(s) and therefore needing to be re-thought?

Thanks in advance.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2022, 12:59:08 AM »
- what does the fairing on top of the tailfin contain?

Cameras

- what test equipment, if the Analog 144 has any, would be unnecessary for combat roles?

Arguably all the test equipment would be unnecessary for combat roles...

Offline dy031101

« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2022, 02:38:48 AM »
I was wondering if any of those extra fairings on the Analog 144 No. 2 contained anything necessary to the functioning of the new wings...... but then again those appear to have no existed on the preceding No. 1 anyway.

Also it would appear to me that the "Malcom's Hood" did not really happen until the MiG-21UPG, so I reverted the canopy to the old one with rearward periscope.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:41:06 AM by dy031101 »

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
Two versions of MiG Drakon :thumbsup:

Armed with 4 NR-30 guns :mellow:

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2022, 05:07:36 PM »
^ The inner wing is distinctively Draken - but what did you use for the rest of the wing?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2022, 12:31:17 AM »
Both work.  I like.   :smiley:  :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2022, 05:59:58 AM »
^ The inner wing is distinctively Draken - but what did you use for the rest of the wing?

F-4 Phantom maybe?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 08:14:47 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2022, 11:27:25 AM »
Whilst talking MiG-21, I visited my doctor of four years the other day (yep, he confirmed I'm getting old!😉), only to discover he was a MiG-21 pilot in the Afghan Air Force😯

I've hit him up for an interview in a new podcast formate I'm putting together, which he said he'll consider, which should be very interesting.

MAD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 01:29:04 PM by M.A.D »

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »

F-4 Phantom maybe?

YES

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2022, 02:06:07 AM »
only to discover he was a MiG-21 in the Afghan Air Force😯

He was a MiG-21 or a MiG-21 pilot? ;)

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2022, 01:28:23 PM »
only to discover he was a MiG-21 in the Afghan Air Force😯

He was a MiG-21 or a MiG-21 pilot? ;)

😂, Good point GTX, I best rectify that😉

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2022, 05:54:07 AM »
Something different: