Author Topic: 1/35 RAM SBS SpORT Boat - Vietnam - FINISHED - Pic's pg.1  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
1/35 RAM SBS SpORT Boat - Vietnam - FINISHED - Pic's pg.1
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:01 AM »
This is a build for the In the Navy GB (2020) over on WIM, of which I am half the moderating team. So far, doing really well for entered builds. I'm just a bit slow off the mark, with RW getting in the way.

So, this is going to be a SpecOps team insertion & support boat operated in Vietnam by the Royal Australian Marines Special Boat Service from 1967 until the withdrawal of Australian main force units in 1978, when they were handed over to the Republic of Viet Nam Navy (RVNN).

(Same timeline as my Fire Support Boat, Riverine.)

Starting point below (with some change elements already marked);

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:41:52 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: 1/35 RAM SBS Fast Boat - Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
Looking forward to this, I'll just sit back and have a watch  :icon_beer: :icon_beer: :icon_beer: :icon_beer: 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »
I am with FAAMAN on this.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
I'm subscribing to this newsletter.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »
With a timeline as tasty as that the model's bound to be a treat!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:59 AM »
I too am subscribed to this scaleorama.

The 1/72 figures remind me of David Bowie and Klaus Nomi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdlU8e9wBIE

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

Hopefully she'll be as good as the FSBR. We'll see.

Pic's of yesterdays work will be up sometime later today (when I've taken them). ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »
OK, later than expected but I got to it in the end.

Slow going on this build, mostly because I'm also struggling to paint some figures, for a different build, which is going .... badly.

Anyway, here are some pic's of where I'm at:

And one with the FSBR for a quick size comparison:

Thanks for watching! :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:46:23 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »
Off to a good start with the project from what you have shared of your WIP images.  I am surprised you did not opt for a clean piece of plastic card stock to make a new deck in lieu of sanding away all of the surface details on the Vosper deck.  There are some serious obstructions on the deck of that model. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »
Some may be sacrificed or cut off to be fitted elsewhere, Jeff, but I intend using (most of) what's there for detail work on the finished project.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
Noice...rooly like it.. it's unusual
 8)

Offline finsrin

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »
Still watching and liking !

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »
Thanks, BT & Bill :smiley:

I don't think it's that unusual, the US military had a similar boat - the LSSC (Light SEAL Support Craft) - which Dragon make a 1/35 kit of;

This one's going to be, basically, an armour-grade aluminium tub in a fibre-glass reinforced marine-ply hull. Crew of three (2x deckhands/gunners & pilot) plus up to 8 fully equipped SBS Spec Op's Marines. So, a bit bigger than it's US counterpart.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 01:56:49 AM »
@Old Wombat/Guy - In addition to the LSSC there was another small craft that was fitted with inboard/outboard propulsion instead of the water jet pump drives on the LSSC.  This gave the STAB a slightly overall length than the LSSC but it had similar capabilities and payload.  The acronym for this craft was STAB and some define this as SEAL Team Assault Boat while others add more word salad to the mix and call it the STrike Assault Boat.  No clue as to which moniker is valid but the boat looks just like the LSSC but with inboard/outboard propulsion instead of water jet pumps. 

A couple of links:

https://www.warboats.org/stabron20.htm

https://www.brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/BoatsMisc.htm 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
Right! Finished! :D

Sorry about the lack of images but it's a GB build & life was throwing far too much at me to waste time with photo's.

Some changes-

First up; Name has changed from "FAST" boat  (I had no idea what that meant) to SpORT boat (Special Operations Reconnaissance Team).
Second; Crew numbers are now between 3 & 5 (1 driver/pilot, 2 or 4 deckhand/gunners).
Thirdly; Recce Team numbers are usually 4 but up to 8 (2 teams) can be carried, if overcrowding isn't an issue.

Images in the next 36 hours.

Offline Old Wombat

Re: 1/35 RAM SBS SpORT Boat - Vietnam
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 12:05:50 PM »
Teaser:

FSBR Mk.II
SpORT Boat
PBR Mk.II (dry-fit of main parts)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
Nice flotilla! Looking forward to some more photos.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 10:40:50 PM »
Here they are, LJ! ;)

Special Operations Reconnaissance Team (SpORT) Boat

Length: 38 feet 2⅟₂ inches (11.65m)

Beam: 9 feet 2⅟₄ inches (2.80m)

Draught: 12⅟₂ inches (32cm)

Displacement: 5.8 long tons (6.5 short tons / 5.9t)

Propulsion: 2 x 350 hp (261 kW) Ford 351W (Windsor) supercharged marine petrol
                      engines, each powering a Caldwell & Lacey TS6M turbine water-jet with a thrust
                     bucket for reverse thrust; and
                     2 x 50 hp (37.3kW) Simpson Pope Ltd marine electric engines clutching into the same
                     drive system.

Speed: 27.5 knots (31.65 mph / 51 km/h) – petrol engine; 3.6 knots (4.14 mph / 6.67 kmh) – electric motor

Complement: 3 – 5 crew plus 4 – 8 SpecOps troops

Armament: 4 x 7.62mm L7A2 General Purpose Machine Guns (800 rnds each)
                      Assorted personal small-arms

Armour: Hull – fibre-glass reinforced 3/4 inch marine plywood
              Crew Tub – 1 inch armour grade aluminium

The Special Operations Reconnaissance Team Boat was an Australian-built vessel designed & built by Lewis Boats of NSW for operations in the rivers & deltas of South East Asia utilising stealth & speed ahead of the 4 standard GPMGs they were armed with. To assist with this their V8 petrol motors’ exhausts vented through the water-jet drives & they were equipped with two 50 hp electric motors capable of propelling the boat at approximately 3.6 knots for approximately 2 hours.

Operated by the Royal Australian Marines of the Joint US-Australian River Patrol (JUSARP) from 1969 until the withdrawal of Australian main force units in 1978, when they were handed over to the Republic of Viet Nam Navy (RVNN).

The SpORT boats were generally used, as their name implies, to insert recce teams into North Vietnamese / Viet Cong held areas along the river, or areas where it was suspected they had changed their normal patterns of operations.

SpORT boats often operated in conjunction with FSBR Mk.II’s & PBR 31 Mk.II’s, which provided cover & fire support for their operations when required.

Only 14 of these boats were built, all to the original standard. Arguably not quite as adept in their role as the US LSSC’s or STAB’s, lacking a little in agility, they did, however, have greater acceleration & a higher top speed, despite their smaller engines.

Walk-around:

Details:

FSBR Mk.II & SpORT Boat:

The photos's show up some faults I still have difficulty seeing in the styrene but hides others, so it's balancing out. ;)

This boat, obviously, fits into my Royal Australian Marines Alt. History & will, eventually, be part of a 3 or 4 boat diorama with the FSBR & one or two PBR31 Mk.II's.

Hope you like it! :smiley:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:28:48 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Re: 1/35 RAM SBS SpORT Boat - Vietnam - FINISHED - Pic's pg.1
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 02:00:15 AM »
BZ Old Wombat!  BZ!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 02:07:33 AM »
Looks great and logically laid out. Maybe put it on top of one of the HMBLT trucks, or build a trailer for it...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
Thank you, Jeff & Frank! Appreciated! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
I have to say, that is terrific.
The scale-o-rama worked so well size wise.
Such comfortable, ergonomic seating very out of character for most 60's/70's period military craft. At least your team would arrive in good shape

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
Well done Wombat  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Looks very believable mate  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
Such a photo tour !   Took in nitty gritty details.  Fine scale-o-rama as any.  "The scale-o-rama worked so well size wise."  Yes it does.  I built three scale-o-rama floaties, are more challenging than aircraft.
Specifications are realistic as build is.  Way cool  8)  8)  8)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:26:12 PM by finsrin »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »
Thanks heaps, gents! Very much appreciated! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: