Author Topic: 1/35 Hover Buggy  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Hover Buggy
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »
This is the Bandai 1/48 Hobuggy from the Xabungle Anime (whatevs) that I rescaled to 1/35. This is what the assembled kit is supposed to look like:

Not very detailed compared to the box top. I wasn't going to call mine a Ho buggy, either...

I added to and modified the kit from the start of the build. I opened the rear of the fan cover and added the two engine pods from a Tamiya Hughes 500 egg plane. I used some Eduard mesh to keep FOD out of the blades. Early on it looked like this:

The gray bit is an intake or vent from a Gundam add-on parts kit:

For some reason, I decided to start painting at this point - the build still had a long way to go! The Hover Buggy still looked a bit off, so I experimented adding a tail (a Matchbox 1/72 Ju-188 wing) and a silver cover for the fan engine. The figure is a happy Russian soldier from a Zvezda motorcycle kit. The headrest is half of a drop tank. The foot pedals are from a Trumpeter 1/35 scale Modern U.S. Army CH-47D Crew & Infantry kit :

Diziet is not impressed:

Neither was I. I took the tail off and realized what was bugging me was the engine cover, so I replaced it with a part from an AMT 1/200 US manned rockets kit. The landing skids were very simple and sagged under the weight of the model - I moved the nose skid to the rear, so that the model could at least stand without the stand:

Here it is, mostly finished. The landing gear is made from several kit parts, including the ubiquitous Gundam parts - in this case a spring, which I coated in CA glue to approximate a rubber boot or cover. The gear is pinned with paper clip sections:

The headrest is part of the fuselage of a 1/72 plane, with the cushion made from a third of the seat cushion from the old Glencoe Airjeep, sanded to shape. The bicycle seat is from the same Zvezda motorcycle kit (it comes with a spare) that provided the test pilot. The seat back was scratchbuilt. The seatbelts are from the Eduard Gama Goat PE set. The eye decal (and most other decals on the kit) are leftover decals that I've printed on my ALPS over the years:

The display is a UV resin raft generated to hold the model supports on my 3D printer. The fluorescent decal is from the Airfix Jet Provost. 20-02 is the month and year I built this kit:

I'm still working on a figure. I used the Zvezda figure as a "test pilot" to get an idea as to where to put the foot pedals and headrest:

This second figure is posed to climb into the cockpit. He's a Frankenstein mix of body parts that will need a lot of work before he's presentable:

The Hoverbuggy is pretty well worn and used - I still have to come up with a back story.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: 1/35 Hover Buggy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:32 AM »
Frank,

That is a very odd looking craft but you are doing it justice with your modifications. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:52:36 PM »
Love the upgrades, this is screaming out for a diorama treatment.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
Really neat idea, and you've done a great job with the modifications.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 03:00:33 AM »
I like the modifications you've made.  What you have looks more plausible than the original picture.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 05:27:41 AM »
Big improvement over original configuration and colors.   Lot of right mods, interesting to study.  :smiley:

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
Fantastic re scaling of this interesting kit...

Antonio

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »
 Heh. Rotorhead gave me one of these at last year's Austin show...now I know what to do with mine.*

Great looking build! The colors being what they are, I can just see a Middle aged Tom Swift jr. climbing into the
 cockpit. ;) Good ideas to open up the intake and strengthen the gear.

* I'll keep it 1/48th, but give it a bug-eyed sedan cockpit.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 04:09:21 AM »
I finally finished the figure for the Hover Buggy. It took forever to finish; I just couldn't get it to paint as I wanted. So I said "Phuket" (Thailand). From a distance, it looks OK.

Here's Mr. Thomas Swift:

The waxy stuff in his right hand is museum wax, to keep him in place.

Tom "mounting" his "ho" buggy:

The body parts took a fair amount of work to get them to play nice - there's quite a bit of plastic "putty" (plastic dissolved in solvent) in places and I used what may be expired "green stuff" to add pockets and details - something was oozing out of his waist (over the PE belt). It could have been a reaction between the green stuff, liquid cement and CA glue. The fanny pack covers the worst of it.

The head and helmet are from Live Resin and solve two issues:

without a screen, the pilot would be eating a lot of bugs and debris.
The resin head has a mask and wrap around glasses, minimizing the amount of face painting required.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:30 AM »
Frank, Mr Swift sets the build off nicely & gives a great scale reference, too. :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 04:02:29 AM »
Frank, Mr Swift sets the build off nicely & gives a great scale reference, too. :smiley: 8)

Concur! He brings it all together for me.

Most excellent, Frank!

Out-of-this-world in fact!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:35:47 AM »
Thanks, guys. He is wearing a mask, so he's being pandemic-safe.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
I agree.  The figure also fits the subject very well, though I wonder if this might not be Mr. Thomas Swift Jr.

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 06:11:41 PM »
Excellent work!

All those modification paid-off for sure!

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Very cool.  Nice work