Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 109775 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2022, 08:36:52 PM »
The Brains was a traditionalist when it came to cockpit designs.

Just look at his glasses.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2022, 09:20:35 PM »
Here's a point: Why isn't it fly-by-wire? Small joystick control on the right chair arm & a bigger panel for switches on the left with angled panels at the front? ???

Almost looks Korean/Vietnam War vintage. ;)

You are right of course, but a cold digital layout based on something like an F16 just took the joy right out out of it and I did do a little research and just thought ... nope.

I'm an analogue doggie :)

(Having said that I did put up LCD panesl for instruments and outside view ... I suffer so much from Cognitive dissonance it hurts)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:56:28 PM by Small brown dog »
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2022, 09:21:42 PM »
The Brains was a traditionalist when it came to cockpit designs.

Just look at his glasses.

Yeah, Brains knows where I'm coming from. He designed the hover bike but prefers his vintage T140V Bonneville :)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #378 on: January 11, 2022, 09:29:42 AM »
Tea making in the 21st Century requires login credentials and good signal strength :)

'Brew-up by Bluetooth' - like it  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2022, 05:22:51 AM »
Nice.  :smiley:

The X-15 had two side-sticks.

High-G flight control stick, mechanically linked to centre stick. This control stick system was tested on the NAA
F-107A 55120 while operated by the NACA.

Ballistic control system stick.

A side-stick controller of some sort wouldn't be completely out of place with steam gauges.  ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »

A side-stick controller of some sort wouldn't be completely out of place with steam gauges.  ;)

Next time I go looking for refs I need to try harder  that would have had a big influence - nice one.

OK, at some point I'm having a go at TB2 and will do the flight deck which begs the question ... conventional yoke or what ?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »

Next time I go looking for refs I need to try harder  that would have had a big influence - nice one.

OK, at some point I'm having a go at TB2 and will do the flight deck which begs the question ... conventional yoke or what ?

I would, but you have to remember the separate controls for the (4) vertical thrusters & (2) level flight engines. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2022, 12:52:12 AM »
Supermarine Southampton Mk1

I'll leave out the overview as you guys are so well  genned up on most aviation matters I would probably embarrass myself.
However, I'm a bit of a fanboy when it come to the Southampton. The MK 1 is a thing of beauty … that Hull!
It is almost organic in its lines, part fish and part bird. Go to the RAF Museum in Hendon, London and marvel at the persevered hull they have there. As a whole and in its construction it is a thing of beauty bordering on the erotic ... well that maybe that last part is just me ;)

Of course, it doesn’t stop there either as there are two magnificent Napier Lion 5 engines, another absolute aero flavoured favourite of mine. Its enough to keep the doggies tail wagging indefinitely!

Having a bit of a block on the alt universe/what ifs at the moment  :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:00:01 AM by Small brown dog »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2022, 01:16:52 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:49 AM »
... Having a bit of a block on the alt universe/what ifs at the moment  :(

Sorry for your block ... but it is much to our benefit. The Southampton Mk.I and its Lions are things of rare beauty  :smiley:

You have nailed the lustre of that red-cedar and mahogany Linton Hope hull. With those colours, you can see why someone was tempted to rescue the hull of N9899 after she was wrecked.

The fate of the original N9899 -- https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/243805

Alas, they made a pig's ear of the job on the houseboat conversion. I remember seeing a photo (in Air International?) of the roll-over during hull restoration . As soon as that gawd-awful raised cabin was removed, the Supermarine heritage shone out again  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
... Having a bit of a block on the alt universe/what ifs at the moment  :(

Sorry for your block ... but it is much to our benefit. The Southampton Mk.I and its Lions are things of rare beauty  :smiley:

Appreciate that  - thanks.
With regards to N9899, you would of thought the gods of  good taste would have struck down any workman evening threatening to go near the hull with any kind of tool in their hands!

The block also has a big dollop of  losing the faith so to speak as far as my alt universe/lifting tech is concerned ... I miss wings and frankly I am beginning to think some of my stuff looks bloody stupid without them. I think the development of the aeroplane my well have been different but I was caught up in wanting to stay pure to everything else.

... of course, my biggest problem is over thinking this crap :)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2022, 08:29:18 PM »
If you are missing wings, perhaps it is a good time to do something that has them.

I like many Luft46 designs, but sometimes I wonder what Luft19 would look like. Or how we could get a smaller Hawker Tempest, or a Spitfire with wide track landing gear. Or...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #387 on: February 17, 2022, 01:59:45 AM »
If you are missing wings, perhaps it is a good time to do something that has them.

I like many Luft46 designs, but sometimes I wonder what Luft19 would look like. Or how we could get a smaller Hawker Tempest, or a Spitfire with wide track landing gear. Or...

Or a good dose of the Golden Age between the wars
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #388 on: February 17, 2022, 03:14:27 AM »
Or a good dose of the Golden Age between the wars

Although I've just gone off on a Captains Scarlet trajectory, I have to admit that period is fascinating and there are a number of oddities that I would like to have a go at along with doing justice to the HP42 which I was going to do before the Southampton. Anyone know of any good references for the HP42 ?

I need to kept in check or I go off on one like below...

Toxic Thomas

Stories of Thomas the tank engine have been enjoyed by generations of children and many an image of busy little Thomas working his branch line are conjured upon hearing his name. Of course, Thomas is only one of several engines that work the preserved steam engine railway on the Isle of Sodor which lies just off of  Barrow-in Furness in the Irish sea.

Linked by bridge from mainland England, Sodor, is a popular tourist attraction not only for the railway but for its beautiful country side and old world appeal. However, it has not always been this way. In the late 60’s with steam being a reminder of the grey past and cheap package holidays abroad beginning to lure away holidaymakers in search of something different, the Government of Sodor found themselves in something of a financial slump. This was not helped by the seemingly endless industrial unrest taking place on the mainland and as time went by Sodor was on the point of financial collapse by the early 1970’s.

All manner of meetings and talks took place many of which were reported in the daily newspapers but some, and in particular, one “special” meeting took place in secret. As is often the case, those in high places often have subterranean morals especially in times of dire financial need.

And so it came about that in a very secluded gentleman’s clubs where cigar smoke is thick and expensive spirits seem to be in a never ending supply, an influential yet low profile gentleman just happen to mention a potentially very lucrative deal to a vising official of Sodor.

It seemed that a certain party had some industrial waste materials that were ever so slightly hazardous and needed somewhere to store them for a short while. The Gentleman was quick to add that when he said “Hazardous” it was just a term used by the boffins and that the boffins like their drama and really there was nothing to worry about.

There was in actual fact much to worry about but the size of the suggested advance took all such concerns away. Some six months later the first of what would become monthly shipments crossed the Sodor bridge in the dead of night. This unmarked train from the mainland was taken as far as Knapford where Thomas was waiting to be coupled to the wagons and take them to their final destination.

Thomas’s branch line, as many of you will know, runs from Knapford to Ffarquhar in the North. However, the line does not stop there but continues for a further three miles or so before the track ends. The line used to be a link with the Mid Sodor Railway which served the many mines in the area but was closed in 1947.

A few weeks after the meeting in the London the old line was secretly reconnected to the mining lines and one of the old workings was reopened. The site was codenames Rabbit 1 and would become the hub of “the warren” which was made up of several other “rabbit” sites numbering no less than 13 by the late 1980’s

There were many old mining galleries beneath The Warren now filled to capacity with all manner of toxic wastes from around the world all packed in containers designed to lasts hundreds of years. However, not all safety containers are created equal and in some cases, especially where a saving or two can supplement the income of the dishonest, they are none existent.

This practice was at its worst in the early days as later into the present century global environmental policies are much more stringent. Some of those early containers were just a slow motion accident as year by year casings rotted and contents oozed and bubbled out hastening the deterioration of other casings and undermining the more hardy ones from later shipments.

The early waste shipments were placed in the southern most galleries under Rabbit 1, parts of which extended out and under the very rails of the service railway. In the autumn of 1997 there were especially heavy rains and a combination of soft wet earth above and corrosive waste eating away at the rock below meant that at some point all 52 tons of Thomas was going to cause a problem and it did on the night of the 31st October.

Thomas was pulling the month’s shipment to The Warren in driving rain and was not a happy little engine. Something was not quite right. The rails felt all wrong, he couldn’t see a thing and his train seemed to be unusually heavy this trip.

Moving slowly Thomas again had the feeling that something was wrong with the rails and all at once they seemed to be no longer there. The gallery roof had collapsed and down into a boiling cauldron of glowing green gunge Thomas, his driver and Fireman plunged. The whole train was pulled down with Thomas which on that night contained several radioactive horrors and bio hazardous nasties.

Of course none of this happened and the site was quickly sealed off and tons of concrete pumped into the old workings. Those that did know something were compensated handsomely for their amnesia.

It is best not to dwell too much on what happened to Thomas that night but it might be worth mentioning that on the night of the 31st October the following year there were many reports of a ghoulish ghost train on Thomas’s branch line and it has been the same every year since. There are even those that say there is a horrible grinning 6 wheeled monster that roams the Branch line and only the brave travel to Ffarquhar station on Halloween in case they should meet up with a ghostly toxic Thomas.

EEK! 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #389 on: February 17, 2022, 04:29:42 AM »
LMFAO!

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2022, 07:54:37 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2022, 09:12:36 AM »
Awesome!!! :o ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2022, 10:09:35 AM »
... I am beginning to think some of my stuff looks bloody stupid ...

... of course, my biggest problem is over thinking this crap ...

Oh wow! A record! Two potential new Beyond the Sprues mottos in one post  :smiley:

... kept in check or I go off on one like below ...

'Toxic Thomas' is fricking hilarious ... even if the storyline evokes one of those laugh-to-avoid-gibbering responses  :o

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2022, 01:53:47 AM »
Cool!  :smiley:
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #394 on: March 15, 2022, 08:43:23 PM »
Chopped tracked trike

Apophenia's thread on half tracks prompted me to dig out an old model I made 6 or 7 years ago that I want to re texture and/or modify.

Perhaps a big old gun mounted on the back could look good and a change of engine as I'm not sure about the generic motorcycle 4 pot. Slap on some olive drab maybe and ... well, I'm not totally sure so I'm up for suggestions.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #395 on: March 15, 2022, 10:36:31 PM »
I like it how it is! 8)

Maybe pimp it up a bit; a pair of rooster-tail pipes at the back, track guards, big sissy bar, something like H-D Sundowner Fat Bob or Low Rider seat, twin headlights with either a bull or goat skull above them? ???

If you want to arm it; a rider's & pillion's rifle boots &/or a pair of forward firing FN MAG's (or local variant). :smiley:

;)

PS: Or you could modify it into a tracked sidecar, perhaps? :-\
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 10:38:07 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #396 on: March 16, 2022, 02:25:28 PM »
Chopped tracked trike

Apophenia's thread on half tracks prompted me to dig out an old model I made 6 or 7 years ago that I want to re texture and/or modify.

Perhaps a big old gun mounted on the back could look good and a change of engine as I'm not sure about the generic motorcycle 4 pot. Slap on some olive drab maybe and ... well, I'm not totally sure so I'm up for suggestions.

Love this !!!!!

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2022, 05:27:38 PM »
I like it how it is! 8)

Maybe pimp it up a bit; a pair of rooster-tail pipes at the back, track guards, big sissy bar, something like H-D Sundowner Fat Bob or Low Rider seat, twin headlights with either a bull or goat skull above them? ???

If you want to arm it; a rider's & pillion's rifle boots &/or a pair of forward firing FN MAG's (or local variant). :smiley:

;)

PS: Or you could modify it into a tracked sidecar, perhaps? :-\

Well there is some food for thought there :)

Ages back and well be fore this I was building a big old gatlin gun type thing - perhaps I should slap that on it and see how it goes, if I still have it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »
Or twin sidecars?  ;D

This beauty just screams Post Apocalypse to me. Roads are pot-holed to hell? Turn that chopper into a half-track and leave those feral ATV drivers in your dust/muddy rooster-tail  :smiley:

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #399 on: March 20, 2022, 02:06:57 PM »
If you put a gun on the back, who is going to fire it and in which direction?