Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 114981 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2021, 09:50:53 AM »
  8)  :-*   Fine concept and background story.  Incorporating Tesla technology to engines opens new design options....

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2021, 06:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind feed back, I appreciate it.

Marvelous! And the P447 is just the sort of big-assed bruiser that Republic would have made  :smiley: :smiley:
I should have used "big-assed bruiser" as the title - love it :)

8)  :-*   Fine concept and background story.  Incorporating Tesla technology to engines opens new design options....
I stumbled upon Thomas Townsend Brown's experiment and discredited theory which sparked off an idea/story and it went from there. It seemed like a good idea to pour in some Tesla as well to liven it up and then other than this alternative tech keep the time line the same and see what happens.
 I think I posted the beginnings of a full background story somewhere on here.
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #302 on: July 01, 2021, 02:11:39 AM »

The Fock-Wulf FW390 was given the name “Dolch” (Dagger) but was often referred to as the flying water pump owing to its complex cooling system. The 24 cylinder engine design consisted of 2 x 45 degree V DB 608 units on a single crankshaft which gave an immense power output and a huge initial problem to the FW design team in finding a way to keep the engine cool.

A large drag inducing radiator protruding from the airframe is not desirable for a performance aircraft and the Dolch required a very large surface area to be exposed to the slipstream. Kurk Tank and his team did an incredible job of burying the radiator low in the fuselage and cleverly directing the airflow into the intake opening. In addition, the coolant was pre cooled by running it through a return channel on the underside of the airframe. This complex cooling system was always going to be vulnerable in combat. However, the Dolch was conceived from the outset as a shielded fighter and incorporated close skin ballistic shielding.

To achieve this the FW390 develops over 50% of its lift from the aerofoil section fuselage skirt/wing assembly. The remaining lift is generated by field coil spool augmented by EMFEM weight reduction. With energy in abundance owing to having conventional lift assistance there remains ample power for shield generation. It should be remembered however that this is 1940’s technology and shield generation is in its infancy.

The Dolch could, with fully charged shield’s, absorb a typical 2 – 3 second burst from a contemporary fighter. After this the shield integrity fell off rapidly and required several minutes to fully charge - longer under battle conditions. In reality the shield capacitor was seldom at 100%, would discharge prematurely or fail to work at all.

Shields or no shields, the FW390 was a formidable fighter in the hands of an experienced pilot but in the closing weeks of the war experienced pilots were few and far between even if they could find the fuel to get airborne. The Allies ruled the skies and were looking for anything to shoot at and especially the Luftwaffe.

Owing to rapid promotion and far too many corners cut off training and familiarity flights, Oberleutnant Roland Fischer found himself transferred to what remained of a FW390 unit and strapped into a Dolch at 8000ft on the morning of March 21st 1945.

He was both exhilarated and frightened in equal amounts. The Dolch was a handful to say the least and seemingly had a will of its own which it would exercise at every opportunity. Fischer was too engrossed and too green to realise he was being stalked.

A pair of P551’s down low and looking trouble had spied him above them. Both pilots had hours of combat experience and each had fought the Dolch on more than one occasion and successfully.

The Dolch was the faster of the two aircraft but the P551 could climb like a lift with its expanded field lift generators. With the surprise advantage the tactic was to climb above the Dolch then dive to gain speed and zoom climb beneath it hopefully having got a good bead on the belly intake and delivering a long burst. Your wingman would be seconds behind you already allowing for any deviation in the FW’s path and ready to deliver the coup de grace.

The tactic worked perfectly. Fischers FW390 took most of the hits directly in the radiator and surrounding cooling equipment and began steaming like a freight train. 5 seconds later the second P551 came in delivering a long burst that killed Fischer instantaneously.

Fischer’s aircraft along with his remains were found some 25ft down in a farmer’s field during a wreck dig in the late 1990’s.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #303 on: July 01, 2021, 02:28:58 AM »

Winner of the 1927 Venice Schneider trophy race, Supermarine S5 N220 resides at Duxford in the spring of 2017 sporting fresh paint and awaiting transportation to the Solent Sky Museum for the 90th anniversary Schneider race exhibition.

Of course this is all fanciful crap because other than a few bits and pieces there are no surviving airframes from the S5 family. Solent Sky does have a propeller from the original N220 and of course a complete example of a Supermarine S6A which is actually the 1929 race winner N248. With the 1931 race winner (S6B S1595) currently peeling paint in the science museum, 2021 could have been a perfect time to display all three together.

To be honest I guess we should be thankful that these two airframes exist at all considering the 90 and 90plus years of each.

Duxford hanger photograph taken circa 2018, much to the amusement of a couple of people wondering why some guy was taking pictures of empty spaces.

Hope this is OK here as it is sort of a what if.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #304 on: July 01, 2021, 02:44:49 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #305 on: July 01, 2021, 03:16:44 AM »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #306 on: July 01, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
Lovely  :-*

Generally speaking, "fanciful crap" is to be preferred over what passes for reality these days  :P

On the S.5, there was the Leisure Sports replica. A nice compromise but it just wasn't the same thing as the real deal. As your title says: If only it was true ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline apophenia

« Reply #307 on: July 01, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »
Great stuff ... and a ripping yarn  :smiley:

I'm reminded of a former neighbour who flew Fw 190s during the War. As a kid, I asked him about his experiences, expecting to hear tales of daring-do (preferably complete with hands-as-manoeuvring fighters and rat-tat-tat sound effects).

Instead, the neighbour said that he was scared witless most of the time. Whenever possible, he stooged around in clouds until it was time to go home. He still seemed amazed that he'd made it through. Poor Fischer did not ...

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #308 on: July 01, 2021, 06:04:19 PM »

Generally speaking, "fanciful crap" is to be preferred over what passes for reality these days  :P

I'd drink to that.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #309 on: July 01, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
Great stuff ... and a ripping yarn  :smiley:

I'm reminded of a former neighbour who flew Fw 190s during the War. As a kid, I asked him about his experiences, expecting to hear tales of daring-do (preferably complete with hands-as-manoeuvring fighters and rat-tat-tat sound effects).

Instead, the neighbour said that he was scared witless most of the time. Whenever possible, he stooged around in clouds until it was time to go home. He still seemed amazed that he'd made it through. Poor Fischer did not ...

Appreciate that thanks.
That story of your neighbour fascinated me. I would imagine there are always many many personal battles in the minds of those that fight wars.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »

David Brown Engineering Ltd began Tractor manufacture as a joint venture with Harry Ferguson in the mid 1930’s. Ferguson had been experimenting with reaction field technology for agricultural equipment for a number of years producing several prototypes and a successful series of commercial units in conjunction with The Commercial Lift Generation Company Ltd, based in Hounslow, Middlesex.

By 1936 Ferguson was looking for a manufacturer to produce his tractor designs and so began his association with David Brown Engineering Ltd. However, various disagreements over design led to Ferguson eventually splitting with David Brown Ltd.

DB had been approached by the Air ministry in 1940 who were in need of an aircraft towing and general duties tractor for which DB produced the Airtug series of which they built a great many both during and after the war. There are still one or two units in service today in museums, private collections and in day to day use.

Many photographs of wartime bomber airfields show the ubiquitous Airtug pulling bomb trollies laden with ever increasing loads. By late 1942 DB had developed the Airbed bomb trolley which incorporated its own weight reduction and reaction field generator units.  The Airtug Tractor had become something of a mobile power station by this time and was able to hook up to and power several Airbed trolleys as well as supply temporary power for multi engined aircraft starting. 

Airbed trolleys had large accumulators which were able to supply several minutes of power once disconnected form the Tractor. This feature was a failsafe in case of supply failure but was mainly used for man handling the load into position. Once the load was off the Trolley the supply requirement fell to a lower level and so “off supply” time became longer.

The image above shows 617 Squadron Avro London D–Dog just prior to bombing up with a 12000lb super cookie prior to her participation in a raid on the Dortmund-Ems canal. Unfortunately “Doggie” as she was known by her crew, would be lost along with four other London’s on that raid which was unsuccessful in its aim to destroy an aqueduct. 

The Airtug MK3 has survived and is part of a privately owned collection and is currently in storage along with an original 1943 Type E Airbed trolley.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2021, 01:15:23 AM »
Nice to see you taking this one step further along and addressing the ground support element for your subjects :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #312 on: July 02, 2021, 01:55:04 AM »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #313 on: July 02, 2021, 05:54:49 AM »
Nice to see you taking this one step further along and addressing the ground support element for your subjects :smiley:

Indeed. This is great stuff ... and I love your title   ;D  Plus, you have caught that agricultural look to a tee!

I like your "mobile power station" aspect as well - tractors, bomb trolley trains, and start carts all in one. Kind of an ur-Tesla PowerWall with added-on portability! Nice  :smiley:

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2021, 03:15:41 AM »
Goofing around in the spirit of "What If"

Offline apophenia

« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2021, 03:34:29 AM »
Goofing around in the spirit of "What If"

Love it! Instead of crossing the Detroit and occupying Sandwich (Windsor) without a fight, Brig-Gen Hull encounters active opposition  :smiley:

Wackier still: What if William Hull had been a competent commander? Onwards to Sandwich!  ;D

Offline Story

« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2021, 05:12:35 AM »
I'm sorry.
I'll stop.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2021, 06:52:33 AM »
That would be a cool double kit! Sadly, Airfix doesn't have a kit of either aircraft.

Bell 205 shoots down an AN-2

Offline Story

« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »
That would be a cool double kit! Sadly, Airfix doesn't have a kit of either aircraft.

Neither was the thread starter

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »

Neither was the thread starter

[/quote]

Yeah but... both are real subjects and available as kits in 1/72 from others. The An-2 from Trumpeter and the Huey from Revell (amongst others)

Offline Story

« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »
Considering AIRFIX's rebranding of others' kits, it's not beyond the realm of possibilities then.

Offline sharkman

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
That's cool!

What model did you use for the pic?

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »
That's cool!

Small brown dog is pretty handy with 3D computer graphics.....

----------------
Wasn't somebody building a an S5 replica/lookalike, to be powered with a much lesser engine?

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #323 on: September 26, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »
That's cool!

Its a 3D model I made some years ago and revamped a few months ago with extra geometry and then reskinned. I then take a render of the model and composit in Photoshop, in this case a photograph I took at Duxford.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #324 on: September 26, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »
That's cool!

Wasn't somebody building a an S5 replica/lookalike, to be powered with a much lesser engine?

There was a flying scale replica a few years ago and there is a current project to build a full scale replica ongoing at this moment sadly without a Napier Lion.
https://www.supermarineseaplane.co.uk