Author Topic: F-86 Sabre and Derivatives  (Read 99534 times)

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
Re: F-86 Sabre and Derivatives
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 01:40:32 AM »

That's very reminiscent of the Nanchang Q-5 offshoot of the MiG-19.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:44 AM »
The only American service Sabres I've ever seen pictures of in SEA camo were ANG H models

Here's a NY ANG F-86H:

net photo

Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:28 AM »
The IDFAF ordered Canadair Sabre 6's. One got painted up but the order was stopped.

Similarly the Rhodesians tried to get South American F-86K's but they got blocked.

I did build a RRAF F-86E, ex RAF Sabre 4, and an IDF 6 a long time ago.

Found the pic.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 04:50:08 AM »
Just to annoy the Sabre Elite, I'd love to get the recently reissued RMX F-86F and rescribe it with most panel lines in completely the wrong locations and then do some correct paint scheme.  Complete with a ''research paper'' showing the kit has exactly the correct sweep to its main wing.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 05:24:11 AM »
Just to annoy the Sabre Elite, I'd love to get the recently reissued RMX F-86F and rescribe it with most panel lines in completely the wrong locations and then do some correct paint scheme.  Complete with a ''research paper'' showing the kit has exactly the correct sweep to its main wing.

Better yet, use RLM colors and pattern for a desert Me-109 just to add some additional spin and consternation :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 05:26:35 AM »
Or Coastal Command...........
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 05:39:48 AM »

Even better.  RAF night fighter scheme with the undersides painted half white and half black as seen on the Bolton Paul Defiant and other aircraft tasked with the nocturnal interception missions. 

Example of scheme at this link: Corgi die cast 1/72nd scale Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I 307 (Polish) Sqn EW-K, N3437
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
What about a FJ-3/-4 Fury in USAF colours?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
Weren't some of them done in camo, late in life, as F-1Es?

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
Even better.  RAF night fighter scheme with the undersides painted half white and half black as seen on the Bolton Paul Defiant and other aircraft tasked with the nocturnal interception missions.

Jeffry: Believe it or not, the RAF's black/white undersurface was a diurnal scheme. So, just add night fighter radar antennae to drive the JMNs bonkers  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »

Jeffry: Believe it or not, the RAF's black/white undersurface was a diurnal scheme. So, just add night fighter radar antennae to drive the JMNs bonkers  ;)
Or do a F-86D or -86K in WW II night fighter scheme.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »
Weren't some of them done in camo, late in life, as F-1Es?

I was thinking of a NMF scheme, perhaps in a Fighter-Bomber Squadron as a supplement to the F-84F since they are both J65 engined. I don't believe the F-86G designator was used....

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
Since the Monogram F-86F is too thick through the cheeks and jowls, and has a wing that is too swept, one should be built up as a "F-86x" test bed or in some foreign customer's markings. 
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
Since the Monogram F-86F is too thick through the cheeks and jowls, and has a wing that is too swept, one should be built up as a "F-86x" test bed or in some foreign customer's markings.

I had no idea that there were faults such as this with the Monogram F-86 kit.  Though some of the details are a bit on the thick side I had never really noticed the faults you describe.  Not that this would deter me from adding another kit to the stash as it does have the one attribute that appeals to me in being affordable in most cases when compared to the more expensive offerings from Academy and Hasegawa. 

Has there been any criticism of the Esci F-86 kits?  I found them to be rather plain and primitive.  Of course the instrument panel decals may have swayed my judgement a little. 

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 03:20:38 AM »

Example of scheme at this link: Corgi die cast 1/72nd scale Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I 307 (Polish) Sqn EW-K, N3437

I don't think that was a night fighter scheme Jeff, at the beginning of the war, all the RAF day fighters had the half white/half black undersides, it was painted on for recognition purposes

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 03:30:47 AM »

I don't think that was a night fighter scheme Jeff, at the beginning of the war, all the RAF fighters had the half white/half black undersides, it was painted on for recognition purposes

Blame it on enthusiasm and ignorance.  Never too old to lean something new.  I never gave much thought to it before and never bothered to do much research on the BP Defiant as it was never one of those aircraft that truly interested me save for the uniqueness of how it was armed and the doctrine behind the turreted fighter being pursued as a means of combatting other aircraft.  What the hell were they thinking?  I remember the black wing/white wing and kept thinking night fighter while trying to find an example so that carried forward in my attempt to convey the idea.  Actually as a daytime recognition aide it would certainly be effective and that scheme applied to a Sabre would certainly be a worthy tribute to the Defiant.  I seem to recall that the Hurricane was also sporting that scheme but could not find a suitable example to incorpate into my input so was stuck with just the Defiant as an example. 

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34:44 AM »
It was actually a lot like why the D-Day Invasion stripes were added, for quick identification by friendly forces.

Come to think of it, there were some F-86's painted with black and white stripes that flew in Korea, the flying F-86A that the Imperial War Museum flies at Duxford has them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victius/5145643865/#
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:39:05 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
It's all supposed info.  But when a guy is considered to be the final authority on the type and also has an interest in the hobby, I'll defer to his opinion.   And a ready-made whiff just means less benchwork for me.  :)

It shouldn't be too hard to put a 4' stretch right throug the middle of it either.  For what reason???  Who knows.  ;D ;D ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline TerryCampion

• Be careful asking for his photos…he might send them to you!
  • Radish by a new moniker
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 05:00:42 AM »
A Rhodesian F-86F in low-viz colours, made from the 1/72nd HobbyBoss kit.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

How about a version of the N Korean night fighter scheme with red USAF toned down markings ?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 02:50:55 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good 1/48 kit of the F-86 ?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 03:23:44 AM »
Which version?

Academy and Hasegawa both do nice kits of E/F types and the Revell F-86D is a nice kit, even though they
got the wing-sweep wrong. It has recently be issued by Must-Have with an F-86K fuselage.

The only kit of an F-86A is the very old Lindbergh.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »
An E or F will do, something I can put RCAF markings on.

Offline TerryCampion

• Be careful asking for his photos…he might send them to you!
  • Radish by a new moniker
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
Here's an ESCI 1/48th kit, now re-released by Italeri....well, a few years ago anyway.
It's in Imperial Roman Air Force colours, as used by the Pretorian Guard and carrying Asp missiles...
The Rapier......