Author Topic: Submarine Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 84844 times)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: Submarine Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »
Frank Tinsley concept for a submarine aircraft carrier  8)
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2504.0;attach=184698;image

Via Secret Projects.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
For a submarine carrier, I keep thinking of something the size of a Typhoon or larger using Skyhook and Harriers.

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
My current Favorite: The French DCNS SMX-26 Cayman. Note the steadying wheels to floor and maintain position, the ample wet room for divers and equipment, and the mast-mounted missile and gun systems, among other features. Shades of Sky-1's submarine portion. It only lacks the sub-launched fighter!

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 03:19:49 AM »
My current Favorite: The French DCNS SMX-26 Cayman. Note the steadying wheels to floor and maintain position, the ample wet room for divers and equipment, and the mast-mounted missile and gun systems, among other features. Shades of Sky-1's submarine portion. It only lacks the sub-launched fighter!

Thanks for sharing the videos.  Was not aware of this design concept and it certainly appeals to my interest in small submersibles. 

Wish they had something like that for the DayZ game :)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:53:32 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 03:42:11 AM »
Way Kool !!!  Very interesting !!!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 07:08:41 AM »
Yep. Made me retrieve my U-212 coastal raider from The pile. Now, If I could find some Nortrhop-Grumman NNEMO 3-views or Tango-Bravo Concepts to sub-scale.... ;)
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
Yep. Made me retrieve my U-212 coastal raider from The pile. Now, If I could find some Northrop-Grumman NNEMO 3-views or Tango-Bravo Concepts to sub-scale.... ;)

Floaty GB, Floaty GB, Floaty GB!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »
For a submarine carrier, I keep thinking of something the size of a Typhoon or larger using Skyhook and Harriers.
A follow-on to my previous idea, a submersible assault carrier based on a stretched Typhoon.  One pressure hull would have accomodations for the pilots, maintainers, and marines while the other would hold three V-22s that could be elevated to the upper hull and unfolded.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:55:09 AM by elmayerle »

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 02:18:59 AM »
A follow-on to my previous idea, a submersible assault carrier based on a stretched Typhoon.  One pressure hull would have accommodations for the pilots, maintainers, and marines while the other would hold three V-22s that could be elevated to the upper hull and unfolded.

Knew I saw one before: http://www.arcair.com/Gal10/9401-9500/gal9498-Sub-Petrie/00.shtm

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
Now that is a very interesting build ,indeed ... !!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:05 AM »
Of course on another tangent, one could go for a Type XXI development mirroring the Whisky Twin Cylinders using V-1 developments:

So sea-launched V-1's!
That would have added another eliment of 'terror' to these weapon's against the likes of Britain (and for that mater the United States!). Although how long would it take for the sub's to be exposed on the surface, to assemble the V-1 wings, fuel and launch these missiles? Coastal Command was very on the ball by 1944!! But still me like the concept!!

M.A.D

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »
A follow-on to my previous idea, a submersible assault carrier based on a stretched Typhoon.  One pressure hull would have accommodations for the pilots, maintainers, and marines while the other would hold three V-22s that could be elevated to the upper hull and unfolded.

Knew I saw one before: http://www.arcair.com/Gal10/9401-9500/gal9498-Sub-Petrie/00.shtm

Lol...that was a fun build! Sadly, at the end, I realised what a colossal waste of resources such a vehicle would be. You'd lose all those missiles and their MIRVed warheads for the ability to carry a few planes with limited range and payload. Looks cool tho. I got the idea from a computer game in the Late 80s, "F-18", where you had to dogfight MiG-29s near San Francisco, and at level 8 you find they've been flying off a submersible carrier. I never did sink that damn thing, but I did accidentally land on it once...and was re-armed! An orbiting MiG-29 then promptly shot me right off the deck!  >:D

Alvis 3.1

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 03:25:47 AM »
How about the Germans transferring some of the Type IIB U-Boats to the Finns to harass the Soviet Baltic fleet? Splinter cammo, yellow sail band?

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 04:53:17 AM »
How about the Germans transferring some of the Type IIB U-Boats to the Finns to harass the Soviet Baltic fleet? Splinter cammo, yellow sail band?

In a way, this did happen - look up Vesikko ;)

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 04:54:44 AM »
Yep and the Type II was based on a Finn design

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2013, 04:59:10 AM »
I believe it is/was actually a German design ...

Offline Geoff

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 05:04:16 AM »
CV-707 was designed by a Dutchman, built by the Finns and was the direct prototype for the KM's Type IIA boats. Or I misread it.

Amendment - nope the Dutch company was set up by the Germans - So it's a German design, you are correct sir! :o
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:07:41 AM by Geoff »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »

the yellow band may have to be painted out for ops ......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:46:30 AM by raafif »

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »
The yellow band denoted that the sub was being used for training purposes.  I don't think it was used for anything else.  Just saying.

LOVE the splinter camo on those subs!!!!!  Please do some more  8)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »
Finnish aircraft like the Buffalo used yellow nose & fuselage bands and under the outer-wings in combat (winter) so on the subs it could just be a national marking ....... profile above updated ...
I won't be doing any others unless you have a specific need.

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »
Never mind what I said about the yellow band....  I saw U-Boat and yellow band and completely missed the part that these subs are NOT used by the Germans in this case.... :-X

Don't mind me  :icon_beer:

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
I thought the Yellow on the aircraft was to tie in with the Luftwaffe Theatre markings for the Eastern front (see below for example)?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
Saunders-Roe/SARO P.212 nuclear powered commercial cargo sub.

source: From River To Sea: The Marine Heritage of Sam Saunders
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:39:50 AM by jcf »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
There was a sort of cargo carrying submarine that was part of the story in a science fiction book that I read a very long time ago.  I can not remember the title or the author. 

The submarine was actually a tug that pulled a very large submarine oil barge.  The submarine tug was armed with a number of torpedoes and drones located around the exterior of the hull.  The plot had something to do with moving the oil from a disputed area back to the United States and it involved a long submarine tunnel that exited into the Gulf of Mexico.  All very fantastic from the descriptions in the book. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:25:40 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
There was a sort of cargo carrying submarine that was part of the story in a science fiction book that I read a very long time ago.  I can not remember the title or the author. 

The submarine was actually a tug that pulled a very large submarine oil barge.  The submarine tug was armed with a number of torpedoes and drones located around the exterior of the hull.  The plot had something to do with moving the oil from a disputed area back to the United States and it involved a long submarine tunnel that exited into the Gulf of Mexico.  All very fantastic from the descriptions in the book.
Under Pressure by Frank Herbert, his last major work before he got involved with Dune.  I believe it's also been published as 21st Century Sub and possibly other titles; I haven't had the chance to consult ISFDB.