Author Topic: The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Sea Dingo Mk.33  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Sea Dingo Mk.33
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Sea Dingo Mk.33

In 1951, CAC obtained a licence agreement to build the F-86F Sabre. In a major departure from the North American blueprint, it was decided that the CA-27 would be powered by a licence-built version of the Rolls-Royce Avon R.A.7, rather than the General Electric J47. In theory, the Avon was capable of more than double the maximum thrust and double the thrust-to-weight ratio of the US engine. This necessitated a re-design of the fuselage, as the Avon was shorter, wider and lighter than the J47.  Because of the engine change the type is sometimes referred to as the Avon Sabre. To accommodate the Avon, over 60 percent of the fuselage was altered and there was a 25 percent increase in the size of the air intake. Another major revision was in replacing the F-86F's six machine guns with two 30mm ADEN cannon, while other changes were also made to the cockpit and to provide an increased fuel capacity.

The prototype aircraft (designated CA-26 Sabre) first flew on 3 August 1953. The production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Sabre and first deliveries to the Royal Australian Air Force began in 1954. The first batch of aircraft were powered by the Avon 20 engine and were designated the Sabre Mk 30. Between 1957 and 1958 this batch had the wing slats removed and were redesignated Sabre Mk 31. These Sabres were supplemented by 20 new-build aircraft. The last batch of aircraft were designated Sabre Mk 32 and used the Avon 26 engine, of which 69 were built up to 1961.

In 1955, the RAAF issued a request for an all weather fighter.  CAC, responded with a version of their Sabre, modelled on the F-86D “Dog” Sabre.   It was equipped with a radar and chin intake.  However, the RAAF did not like the use of either the air-to-air rockets which constituted the primary armament or that there was a single crewman.  CAC taking a leaf from North American's book, suggested combining the nose of the F-86D with the cockpit of the TF-86 and the fuselage of the CA-27 Avon Sabre.   The CA-30 “Dingo” Sabre was created.   However, it was quickly realise that more modifications than were initially thought necessary were required.  A larger wing was needed and a more powerful version of the Rolls Royce Avon jet engine.   The first prototype rolled out of the CAC factory in July 1956.   It displayed superb performance, as good as the CA-27 and after trials proved it was shown to be capable of intercepting targets at night or in bad weather.

Armed, as was the CA-27 Avon Sabre, initially with two 30mm ADEN cannon, it was to be later equipped with up to four AIM-9B Sidewinder air-to-air missiles.  The RAAF ordered an initial squadron.   The Royal Australian Navy who were looking to requip their fighter squadron aboard it's aircraft carriers with a more modern, radar equipped jet fighter, rather than it's existing Sea Fury planes asked CAC if they could adapt the Avon Dingo to shipboard use.  Again drawing on the resources of North American, they decided to utilise the design of FJ-2 Fury's wing, a navalised version of the F-86.   It could be folded, decreasing its width and allowing the fighter to be stowed easily below decks in the aircraft carriers' hangar.

So was born the Royal Australian Navy's CA-31 Sabre “Sea Dingo”.  It served on the RAN's Carriers until 1969 when it was replaced by the A-4G Skyhawk. 

The Model

Many years ago, when I first got into Whiffing, I attempted to model the Sea Dingo. I used a standard Sabre fuselage, a Fuji T-1 trainer cockpit and canopy and an F-86D nose.  I cut the cannon from an Avon Sabre fuselage and faired them into the new fuselage.   I was never pleased with the model.  It just didn't look, well, “right” to me.

Later I bought an Airmodel vacuform F-86 four pack conversion set.  It included the noses of an TF-86, an F-86D, an F-86K and an Avon Sabre.  Ah-ha!  I thought to myself, I can use these, to make a proper Sabre Dingo.  It languished in my spares box for a couple of years until I found a cheap Emhar FJ-2 Fury on Ebay.  As this was to be a Sea Dingo, the Fury was perfect.

So, I finally found the time for a largish conversion job.  First I assembled the Fury kit and cut it's nose off, just behind the cockpit.  I then added the TF-86 cockpit to it.  I then added the Avon Sabre's nose and cut it off just in front of the gun ports.  To that, I then added the F-86D's nose and chin intake.  My goodness, what a long aircraft you have there!  I then moved the Fury's wings forward by about 10mm.  This allowed the balance between the front and the stern to be fixed.  The model was painted with a hairy stick and the decals came from the spares box.   It looks a lot better than the previous attempt, I can assure you.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:29:36 AM by Rickshaw »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Dingo Mk.33
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:24 PM »
Very nice and quite plausible.  I do believe the Emhar kit is the FJ-4 with its new wing and fuselage as opposed to the FJ-2 and Fj-3 which had folding versions of the standard F-86 wing. 

Beautiful job and finish.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:15:06 AM »
Very cool concept and great build  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:57:17 AM »
A great mash-up Brian. Love your builds. Keep them coming.   :smiley:  :icon_alabanza:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
Very cool indeed mate :smiley: :smiley: 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »
Bang up concept & build.  Zactly right color scheme.  Can picture seeing pictures of Sabre-Dingo Mk.33 in 50s 60s aviation magazines.
Love correctness of it all  :-*

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
Re: The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Sea Dingo Mk.33
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:30 AM »
very nice work

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Re: The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Sea Dingo Mk.33
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:53:34 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* Soooooo cool!  Great back story too, sound like it could really have been.  Nice one.  :-*
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.