Author Topic: 1899 Lorraine Class land cruiser  (Read 12783 times)

Offline stevegallacci

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
1899 Lorraine Class land cruiser
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »
As we all know, the four crude "land monitors" that broke the siege of Petersburg in the fall of 1864 were the progenitors  of the great land cruiser fleets that commanded the great continental plains through to the end of the century, and the French Lorraine class were among the last of that august line. I'm building the "Provence"  as she appeared during the Third Franco-Prussian war of 1899 as part of a group build for Galaxy Hobby's (of Lynnwood WA) SciFi model contest. As she was originally built with the intent of being posted in Algeria, she had the longer prow and retractable spike/skid of those hulls in colonial service, but was held back for the Alsace Fromage Crisis of 1898 and was then on-hand for the ensuing Third Franco-Prussian war.  All I have done so far is the basic hull, a scratch-built vac piece with evergreen scribed sheet for the deck effect, while the main turret is still on the lathe for final finishing. As it is in 1/160 scale, the model measures out to about 9 1/4 in./23.5 cm.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: 1899 Lorraine Class land cruiser
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:40:01 AM »
Your description of this project in our recent telephone conversation had me wondering what this Land Cruiser would look like.  Now that I see the WIP I am quite impressed once again with your creativity and ability to build things from scratch. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
I've just finished the patterns for and will be casting up all the tracks for it too. Four main sets and two smaller sets for fore and aft uneven ground clearance.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »
The main turret is basically done, turned out of wood and coated with CA to seal and smooth. The gun is turned aluminium, the sighting copula is turned sprue. The aft elevated gun turret is made from turned acrylic and also has a turned sprue copula.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
Looking quite Steam-Punked!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
Looking quite Steam-Punked!

Concur! That elevated turret is some excellent thinking!

Brian da Basher

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
Today's progress.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:27 AM »
More progress on the build. The bridge .

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 02:08:27 AM »
The new superstructure really looks the business, Steve!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:23:22 AM »
Love the Lorraine class, it has class :-*   At 123ft long they were intimidating.
Such a build you got going --- look forward to seeing it in person.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 05:09:48 AM »
More intimidating would have been the earlier, larger classes. The Lorainnes were among the last of the era, though more in terms of economics than their increasingly questionable military value. Like any number of arms races to follow, the various Great Powers had over-extended themselves and were looking for a face-saving withdraw, and the appearance of the attack Zepplins that broke the stalemate and ended the war was their way out.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »
Was a 1930s movie based on the gallant French stand on plains NE of Starbucken in 1899.  Lorraine Class land cruisers were depicted well considering special effects of the time.  Though eventually losing to larger German forces, the Lorraines along with supporting artillery and troops drew General Von Bageldunker's forces into a trap.  Covered by artillery fire which screened approach of the Lorraines as they emerged from behind berms and drove full speed toward the Germans.  When Von Bageldunker's land cruisers and troops were within range the barage let up and the Lorraines opened direct fire by surprise on German land cruisers.  For each Lorraine lost, three German land cruisers of various classes were lost.

This battle of Starbucken is what convinced German planners to build attack Zeppelins (as Steve pointed out) and decrease reliance on land cruisers.

Along with eventual German victory came occupation of the rich coffee growing region in mountains above Starbucken.  During the intervening years before WW I, Germany found that exporting the coffee to a buyer-distributer in Seattle so profitable it helped fund a build up of forces used in WW I.  Same business arrangement was repeated between WW I and WW II.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:11:31 PM by finsrin »

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
Could not have said it better.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 02:51:33 AM »
Was a 1930s movie based on the gallant French stand on plains NE of Starbucken in 1899.

Funny, just been to the Musee de la Armee in Paris today and that campaign did not feature  :D

Liking this build a Lot.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »
Some more progress. Tracks are cast and will be added today. Hotchkiss guns are built and will be set on the bridge.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
Thats very cool.  Nice work so far, look forward to seeing ti finished.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
Basically done.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »
Looks good Steve. 

Now you need to build a coal carrier land cruiser for UNREP of your fleet :)

How about a pirate land cruiser so it can have a worthy adversary?

Offline finsrin

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
Beautiful land cruiser Steve.
Hotchkiss guns at bridge corners, voice tubes, and crew look right :)
I second UNREP suggestion.  Considering an UNREP diorama ?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
Not sure how it's powered, whether it's coal or oil fired or even steam at all!    :o
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:20:07 AM by Rickshaw »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Wow that's a real stunner, Steve! I really like the crew you added which makes this one look like it's headed in harm's way. I give this one an E for Excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »
Were I to do any more with landcruisers, it would be to build the USS Bellingham, a sidewheel type from the 1870s.  No funnel? Then what is that black-capped tube coming up through the center of the bridge platform?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
Side wheel?  As in one large single wheel on each side or with several on each side like steam locomotives?  If the latter, I could see work being farmed out to Lima, Baldwin, or Alcoa (to name some of the biggest names in steam locomotives).

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
Side wheel?  As in one large single wheel on each side or with several on each side like steam locomotives?  If the latter, I could see work being farmed out to Lima, Baldwin, or Alcoa (to name some of the biggest names in steam locomotives).

Aluminium boiler?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »
I believe Evan was referring to ALCO, rather than Alcoa.  :icon_fsm:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alco

:icon_fsm:

Very cool Steve.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are