Author Topic: McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 174147 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »
ISTR that Rafael Popeye/AGM-142 Have Nap (HN's a license-built and USN/USAF-ized Popeye) was primarily intended as a ship-killer to replace Harpoon, with a secondary stand-off capability against land targets.

I seem to recall it was the other way around.  I may be wrong though.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »
Doesn't really matter with modern seekers... whether Surf or Turf, if you can see it you can hit it, and if you can hit it you can hurt it. LOL

Re Harpoon, IF the Hasegawa Eggplane Phantom's to be believed, and I might've seen photos of it done, the Japanese may have tried the Phantom/Harpoon combo.

Online Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »
Operators I had in mind were Canada, Norway, Finand, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Japan, Great Britain, and in a Coast Guard-like role Argentina to counter all the Squid stealing that is going on. 

Hmmm...Popeyes.   Hadn't thought of modifying those.   Can wing tanks be used?  The thought being a SUU-23 midline, wing tanks, and (altered) AGM-142s on a F-4J since one exists in the stash.   A gun nose variant would be outfitted on my shelf with the big centerline tank.   

kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Diamondback

• SC
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2013, 03:04:45 AM »
Daryl, you'll probably need Popeye inboard, small droptanks outboard--it's a BIG missile, which is a LOT of weight dropping off at once, and you want to watch the roll moments induced by a lot of weight moving off one wingtip unless you have it set to launch both at once. (That weight change inducing roll is why on a Prowler I was planning, an NFO on ARC advised I limit the A-6F outer pylons to about 500# of payload each.)

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:56 AM »
Understood.   Sometime back an online purveyor had the Revell/Monogram F-4C/D offered for very cheap so 4 were ordered in with the thought of doing a major airframe modification to the fuselage and wing using two kits.   See the Aurora VF-84 F-3G-H Spectre on Hyperscale for a basic planform btw.   Part of the idea is to move the inboard pylons a bit towards the centerline in order to reduce the effects of unilateral weight changes.

Sea Eagles?   Hmm....might have to go clip those out of my Airfix Sea Harrier kit and put them in the FGR.2 box. 

Harpoons?   Extended length/extended range versions perchance?   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Diamondback

• SC
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:21 AM »
ISTR  standard models... but you could WHIF something based on a SLAM-ER with the smaller Harpoon seeker and warhead, using the space for expanded fuel tank.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2013, 05:22:13 AM »
Sea Eagles?   Hmm....might have to go clip those out of my Airfix Sea Harrier kit and put them in the FGR.2 box.

Daryl.  The missile shapes you are referring to in the Airfix Harrier kit are I am sorry to say are are rather poor representations of the MARTEL ARM and quite soft on the details.  The missing air intake feature on the missile underside is one of the obvious differences between  the MARTEL ARM and Sea Eagle AShM missiles.  A decent 1:48th scale Sea Eagle can be found in one version of the Airfix Buccaneer kit. 

Harpoon shapes in 1:48th scale can be found in the Skunk Models weapons kit.  All other AGM-84 Harpoon shapes (with the exception of Verlinden and SOL resin) are missing the air intake on the underside of the missile body.  A very obvious feature even in a side view of the missile and most of the plastic model manufacturers have ignored this feature for reasons unknown.  Hasegawa got it right in their 1:72nd scale weapons set but failed in their 1:48th scale weapons set that offers the SLAM version of the Harpoon.  The Verlinden Harpoon was available in the old F-18 Hornet update set.  SOL is out of production and very rare. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:26:25 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »
Good to know.   Thanks! :).  There also just happens to be that Buccaneer kit in a storage box somewhere.
kwyxdxLg5T

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
ELINT Phantom: start with an F-4E and shave off the gun.   Requisite pod-based monitoring gubbins, some defense capability remains.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »
ELINT Phantom: start with an F-4E and shave off the gun.   Requisite pod-based monitoring gubbins, some defense capability remains.
Leave the fairing and fair the front end forward for a faired in ELINT pod.  Add a second, larger, pod on the centerline (perhaps a variant of the one flown on RAF/FAA Phantoms, but for ELINT only) and two outboard wing drop tanks.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »

In real life the RF-4C was also tasked to perform the ELINT mission when the cameras were replaced with the electronics equipment to perform that function.   The only visible difference between a camera equipped RF-4C and the RF-4C ELIINT mission aircraft was the placement of a small truncated disc antenna (about the size of a pie plate) mounted under the nose ahead of the nose gear covering one of the vertical camera ports. 

The RF-4C was also equipped with side looking radar (SLAR) antennas below the cockpit where the missile wells were located on the fighter versions. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:21 AM »
Since Academy include the long nozzles in their new F-4B kit, perhaps some alternative country could be involved in developing the updated J-79s.  Volvo perhaps and one airframe sent over for fitment/testing in full national markings.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Diamondback

• SC
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
21st Century Phantom: replace the shoulder rails with LAU-128's just like F-15, maybe fitted with ALE-58 countermeasure dispensers too. I fired off a note to Shawn Hull, and he tells me he's got plans to do '58s after he puts a few more projects to market.

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 06:51:55 AM »
Getting back to the Mach 3 Phantom:  long nose or short nose?   Why?
kwyxdxLg5T

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
About what was the top speed the intakes of the Phantom could tolerate before there were problems?
kwyxdxLg5T

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
About what was the top speed the intakes of the Phantom could tolerate before there were problems?

Are you talking about the standard F-4s or the RF-4X?

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
The standard intakes please.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:22:04 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »
Have I remembered correctly or is my mind beginning to play tricks on me?   It seems as though there is a photograph taken from above an early Phantom prototype showing ogival wingtips.
Yes?  No?  Photoshop?
If yes, was there a reason for the change besides possible efficiency in manufacturing? 
Thanks for any help in the matter.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2013, 05:20:10 AM »
Daryl:

You are you thinking of the F3H-G?

UP-SHIP.com:

Tailspin:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.ca/2009/11/f3h-gh.html
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »
The photo was labeled F4H-1.   I found it curious because the F3H-G was quite squared off.
kwyxdxLg5T

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2013, 03:35:39 AM »
Have I remembered correctly or is my mind beginning to play tricks on me?   It seems as though there is a photograph taken from above an early Phantom prototype showing ogival wingtips.

Would this be the photo you were thinking of?

Edit:  From what I have been able to discover in my research is that this is a photo from the first flight of the XF4H-1.  Maybe the rounded wing tips were only on that aircraft?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:02:44 AM by GTX_Admin »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2013, 03:38:22 AM »
I must admit that I have always liked the look of the original F4H-1 canopy.

Online Daryl J.

« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2013, 05:41:33 AM »
That's the one.  Thank-you!
But in looking at it more closely, the wingtip appears to be squared off and painted.   :icon_nif:
 ;D ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2013, 05:43:21 AM »
You may be right.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
From by Tommy H. Thomason:

"The wingtips on the first Phantom were painted red, with the inside edge curved between the leading edge and the aft outboard corner of the wing tip. Red appears dark in a gray-scale photo and in this instance gives the impression that the wing tip is curved when it is really not."