Author Topic: de Havilland Hornet/Sea Hornet Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 34416 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: de Havilland Hornet/Sea Hornet Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
I like that a lot kitnut, that canopy vastly improves the look of the real two-seat design.

Believe it or not but the canopy is another De Havilland product, although I used two to make the one. It comes from a Chipmunk (the Canadian version that is in the Airfix kit).  Amazingly, it just fits --- but I did extend the cockpit opening by 10mm. The windshield though comes from somewhere else and for the life of me I can't figure out where it came from (but it fits to the front of the Chipmunk canopy just right)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
The RAAF took on charge a single F.21 Sea Hornet in 1949 for evaluation and trials purposes.  Nothing came of it though, in real life.  I'd expect the Canberra and the last of the Mosquitoes were sufficient.  However, it might have been possible we might have seen Hornets in RAAF service for Korea...

The post war structure was meant to be four interceptor squadrons (reserve), three long range fighter squadrons and one tactical reconnaissance squadron with fighter type aircraft.  Initially all had Mustangs but you could almost see the intent of the reserve units having short range jets while the long range fighter was the Hornet.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2022, 05:00:52 AM »
Via Facebook

DH Hornet Project

The photo of Hornet F.3 PX351 was taken at RAF Hullavington in September 1946. It had just been delivered directly from the de Havilland factory at Hatfield to 10 MU (Maintenance Unit). From here it went onto be delivered to 64 Squadron at RAF Linton-on-Ouse in 1948.

This photo came from a batch of glass plate negatives discovered around 10 years ago covering a range of RAF types then in store at Hullavington. Its quality is such that it could have been taken yesterday.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2022, 05:02:50 AM »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2022, 10:19:55 AM »
I've just saved both of those as wallpapers/screensavers, thank you TBG! That second one (with Pat Fillingham at the controls?) is a real classic.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2022, 07:54:10 PM »
Yes, they are very nice photos of a very nice looking aircraft. Maybe one day in the future we will see one flying again (TT193).

https://warbirdsnews.com/aircraft-restoration/de-havilland-sea-hornet-airworthy-restoration-project.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:56:08 PM by The Big Gimper »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2022, 10:03:06 PM »
It might just happen, a couple of years ago they found the wing center section of TT193 (from just outside the nacelle to outside nacelle on the other side) on a farm about 30 km south of where I live (actually probably from the wing fold hinges).

From what I understand, it's now in New Zealand at the place that restores Mosquitos. I had a brief email exchange with the owner down there, he said it is probably a ""very"" long term project.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:04:18 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2022, 04:49:56 AM »
I made a suggestion to the owner that they might have better luck finding engines from a Short Sturgeon. It was powered by two Merlin 140's, these were the same as 130/131's except with contra-prop gear in the PSRU and quite a few were used operationally.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2022, 09:17:35 AM »
It might just happen, a couple of years ago they found the wing center section of TT193 (from just outside the nacelle to outside nacelle on the other side) on a farm about 30 km south of where I live (actually probably from the wing fold hinges).

From what I understand, it's now in New Zealand at the place that restores Mosquitos. I had a brief email exchange with the owner down there, he said it is probably a ""very"" long term project.

Pioneer Aero is the firm planning to tackle the Sea Hornet, Avspecs is the company that restored the three Mosquitos. Same airfield but different companies with a shared history  :smiley: I expect the teams behind the woodwork for the Mossies will be involved with the Sea Hornet too but, as kitnut said, it's a long term thing and not much detail is known right now.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates